Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:21:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25912 Posts in 9968 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 42 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  WORLD HOT SPOTS
| |-+  Around the World (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Dr.Martin Luther King's Daughter Honor's Her Parents
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dr.Martin Luther King's Daughter Honor's Her Parents  (Read 11951 times)
TempieDKing

« on: January 15, 2007, 12:32:49 PM »

MLK's daughter honors her parents By ERRIN HAINES, Associated Press Writer
 50 minutes ago

The eldest daughter of Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King evoked the civil rights movement while reminding those remembering her parents that America has not yet reached the promised land of peace and racial equality.

"We must keep reaching across the table and, in the tradition of Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King, feed each other," Yolanda King said Sunday at Ebenezer Baptist Church during a presentation that was part motivational speech, part drama.

King, 51, spoke a day before Monday's celebration of the civil rights leader's birthday, the first since the death last year of Coretta Scott King.

Yolanda King told The Associated Press the holiday provides an opportunity for everyone to live her father's dream, and that she has her mother's example to follow.

"I connected with her spirit so strongly," she said when asked how she is coping with her mother's loss. "I am in direct contact with her spirit, and that has given me so much peace and so much strength."

The stage and television actress performed a series of scenes that told stories including a girl's first ride on a desegregated bus and a college student's recollection of the 1963 desegregation of Birmingham, Ala.

After the performance — attended by members of the extended family and Yolanda's sister, the Rev. Bernice King — Yolanda King and her aunt, Christine King Farris, signed copies of their books, and Bernice King posed for photographs with attendees.

On Monday, Ebenezer Baptist Church, where King preached from 1960 to 1968, was to be the venue for more remembrances and speeches. The keynote speaker was to be Dr. Otis Moss Sr., pastor of Olivet Institutional Baptist Church.

In West Columbia, S.C., several hundred people gathered Monday morning for a breakfast prayer service honoring King.

The Rev. Brenda Kneece, 45, executive minister of the South Carolina Christian Action Council, said King set the standard for sacrifice and vision.

"The vision became even more powerful because he understood the risks he was taking," Kneece said. "It's very important for our children to know that his sacrifice didn't win the war. We still have to keep at it."

In New York, rallies, speeches and volunteer efforts were to mark the King holiday, some invoking the Iraq War, the conflict in Sudan and local tensions surrounding the fatal police shooting of a black groom.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the Rev. Al Sharpton and Gov. Eliot Spitzer were expected to attend a forum, joining Nicole Paultre-Bell, whose fiancee was killed by police in a barrage of 50 bullets in November.

The Rev. Herbert Daughtry, the national minister of the House of the Lord Churches, said he would lead an act of civil disobedience outside the Sudan Mission in New York.

New Yorkers also planned to volunteer on the holiday in a spirit of service, such as knitting blankets for babies born to mothers with HIV/AIDS, painting murals, building homes, revitalizing their community and making fleece scarves for the homeless.

This year's holiday comes on the day King would have turned 78. King was assassinated while standing on the balcony of a hotel in Memphis, Tenn., on April 4, 1968. His confessed killer, James Earl Ray, was arrested two months later in London.

Coretta Scott King died last year on Jan. 31 at age 78. An activist in her own right, she also fought to shape and preserve her husband's legacy after his death.

Shortly after his death, she founded what would become the Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change. For years, she worked to establish Jan. 15 as a federal holiday, which became a reality in 1986.

"When you see the commitment my parents exhibited ... it was not for fame or fortune," Yolanda King said. "The best sermons are those that are lived."

___

On the Net:

http://www.thekingcenter.org

albertwilliams

AUTHOR, JOURNALIST, POET,MUSICIAN, CRITIC

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:43:12 PM »

GREETINGS SISTER TEMPIE-I

PEACE AND LOVE TO YOU AND YOURS AS I AND I FORWARD ON INTO THE VERY HEART OF THE SYSYTEM, AND AS I AND I ZOOM ALONG TOWARDS THE VINDICATION OF JAH CHILDREN, AFRICANS AT HOME AND ABROAD.

THANKS FOR SHARING THIS ARTICLE IN REMEMBRANCE OF ONE OF THE GREATEST BLACK APOSTLES OF ALL TIME, MARTIN LUTHER KING JR

ONE CANNOT STRESS HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO KEEP THE MEMORY OF I AND I FOREFATHERS IN THE STRUGGLE ALIVE, AND TO USE WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY TO DO THAT.

KING AND THIER GOD AND HAVE LOOKED TO THE SKY. BUT I AND I KNOW, THAT JAH IS A LIVING MAN.
BUT STILL, I AND I KNOW WITHIN  I AND HEART AND  I-RIT, THAT THIS TOO SHALL PASS, 'CAUSE, AS IT WAS IN THE BEGINNING, SO SHALL IT BE IN THE END. I AND I KNOW, THAT I AND I SHALL WIN 'CAUSE I AND I ARE CONFIDENT OF THE VICTORY OF GOOD OVER EVIL.

ALLOW ME TO SHARE SOME OF IAND I  POEMS ON YOUR POST  SISTER TEMPIE  TO STRENGTHEN WHAT I AND I MEAN !!!!

(EXTRACTS FROM THROUGH THE FAR EYE, BY RAS ALBERT WILLIAMS)

www.freewebs.com/albertwilliams)

OH BABYLON

I

Oh Babylon You must repent for all the crimes that you have committed against my people.

JAH people are on the rise once again, never to be enslaved no more.

The kingdom of Jah is at hand. The writing is on the wall.

Babylon you must fall

SO JAH SHE.

II

You removed the landmarks

Of I and I fathers to divide and rule I and I. But through the POWER OF BLACK

UNITY. You have to draw back. I and I are on the attack

SO JAH SEH

III

Run Babylon

Return to your country!

These are the days of the repatriated. Run whilst you still can. Go back to Babylon.

RUN BABYLON, RUN RUN

Leave Africa for African at home and abroad.

For Marcus

Garvey

words come to pass. And she who laugh last, laugh best.

SO JAH SEH.

IV

For over 500 years your ancestors plundered and murdered we gentle AFRICANS,

BROUGHT US TO THE WEST IN CHAINS AND SOLD US LIKE HUMAN CARGO.

WORKED US TO THE BONE FROM SUNRISE TO SUNSET.

But now the time of REPARATION has come. For RASTAFARIANS demand equal rights and justice.

COMPENSATE the descendants of the slaves…for slavery is wrong, as even your own clergymen have said..

AND

If SLAVERYIS WRONG THE WICKED MUST PAY.

SO JAH SHE.

V

Oh Babylon

Woe to you who’s conscience has been hardened by GREED. You stole our FATHERLAND,

OUR GOLD AND OUR SILVER. AND WASTED OUR MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN.

You taught us that God is Love…that we should obey our masters, and them that have rule over us.

BUT I and I have no master but EMPEROR HAILE SELLASSIE I…

WHO WAS NOT AFRAID TO TELL THE CHILDREN THE TRUTH.

"THAT UNTIL THE IGNOBLE AND UNHAPPY REGIME THAT HOLDS I AND I

BROTHERS IN SUBHUMAN BONDAGE IN ANGOLA, IN MOZAMBIQUE AND

SOUTH AFRICA HAS BEEN TOPPLED AND TOTALLY DOWNSTOYED EVERYWHERE IS

WAR AND RUMOURS OF WAR.

But no bombs and guns will stop

WE AFRICANS,

WE AFRO-AMERICANS, WE BLACK BRITONS

WE WEST INDIANS,

WE RASTAFRIANS.

This is JUDGEMENT TIME

WE are more than sand on the seashore, WE are more than number

WE are a mighty race with respect and dignity

GO AWAY

With your white God that smiled a crocked smile as you brutalised the

very soul of innocent BLACK PEOPLE.

GO AWAY

With your WHITE GOD

THAT chuckled with demonic glee as you exterminated

THE RED INDIAN

THE MAYA

THE AZTEC

THE ARAWAKS

THE CARIBS

FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

But that river of blood now runs to your front door…

SO JAH SEH.

VI

Oh Babylon,

did you believe that you would continue to kill the prophets and that I

and I would stand aside and look for all ages like you killed the prophets of old.

Well, I want you to know the spirits of

MARCUS GARVEY,

MARTIN LUTHER KING,

MALCOLM X,

BOB MARLEY

WALTER RODNEY

STEVE BIKO are all alive in NELSON MANDELA for agitating for

the rights of I and I people was cast into prison for twenty-seven years.

BUT the table is turned.

JAH PEOPLE are on the rise once again.

JAH PEOPLE have seen the light.

WE will stand by our own

NO RACISM

NO APARTHEID

NO RACIAL LIBERATION will hinder the forward march towards

TOTAL LIBERATION

For we have ways and means.

YOU PUT STUMBLING BLOCKS IN OUR WAY.

But these we will turn to stepping stones, if it be that we have to step on

the heads of your children; to reach to your necks, whose head we will sever with

the cutlass of truth…and toss your body to the wild beast.

VII

Yes Babylon

I hate you with a perfect hatred for all the crimes committed against I and I people.

You instil in I and I people a state of fear.

A fear for losing our life.

But we cannot die.

The struggle is our lives.

What I and I cannot achieve in our lifetime I and I children will at last achieve.

For the Big Sound from the Little rock will keep the fire burning…

For as long as the rainbow exists will remind I and I of I-tiopia I and I eternal heritage.

For the very colour of I and I skin: beautiful black reminds I and I of I and I purpose for living.

To see that I and I people are set free…

From all forms of MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND ECONOMIC SLAVERY.

AND ALL FORMS OF FALSE FREEDOM.

NOW

That APARTHEID has fallen

DO YOU WANT MORE?

Yes we want all of AFRICA to be free!

AFRICA is I and I birthright.

JAH gave this continent to us…and you Babylon took it away.

SO JAH SHE

VIII

Fire and Brimstone

For Babylon and all Bagga Wire.

The lake of perpetual fire has already been prepared for the devils and his

angels, and such as would be so bold to stand in the way of advancing liberation forces.

Now Africa…weep not.

Rest your weary head on my shoulders. I and I will never forsake you.

Even if it means that:

I too

Will be assassinated for fighting form my rights,

Even if it means that I too

Will be imprisoned for stirring up the racial pride

Of a people long under the hands of oppression.

Even though I and I know that these few words of this solemn

poem can do little harm to the enemy of our race.

But it shall water the seeds of the revolution.

SO JAH SEH

ONLY RASTAFARI

With the end of every day

We

Enslave I and I ancestors anew

With our obedience to decrees that address the aspirations of our captors.

Our passivity breeds and ugly offspring

Colonisation in its latest form.

Only Rastafari sees differently.

His patriotic chant of REPATRIATION is a threat to the establishment

that thrives on the blood of a hurdling mass… our people.

Black because

Mother Africa built her nest in the sun

TOO BLACK for sympathy

TOO BLACK for respect

But black enough to be reduced to a beast of burden.

With every new morning.

We sell out

Toussaint L’Overture.

WE hid in the comfort of our anonymity.

BEHIND A SEA OF FACES

Paul Boogle died not for us you say.

Neither did Congo Ray.

WE are content to be classless being.

Whose destiny it is to feed the hungry worms…the descendants of greedy colonialists.

ONLY RASTAFARI FEELS THE PAIN.

With the passing of centuries

WE bury our glorious heritage with alien tongues…mode

of dress, religion that tames the will to rebel,

Like Hannibal, that GREAT AFRICA WARRIOR who tried

to abort the slaughter of an entire African race

ONLY RASTAFARI WILL PUT UP A FIGHT.

Only Rastafari will not surrender his pride

His dreadlocks circles his shoulder like mighty madras fluffing

in the winds of change that are blowing across this planet…

Where the

BLACK STAR LINER will salvage the corpse of millions

of Negroes whose spirits returned to the MOTHERLAND.

Only RASTAFARI cares

To think black

To talk black

To act black

To be black and be proud of that fact

That our negritude is is endowed by a

Black God in a

Black Heaven

That

Will reward the

Black revolutionaries

With a throne of black gold

Upon a pedestal of

Black ebony

For all the world to see

ONLY RASTAFARI KNOWS

author of Honourable Natty Dead
One Dominica-Odes For I beloved
Through the Far Eye
Haunted Heritage and Other Stories

http://www.freewebs.com/albertwilliams
TempieDKing

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »

I THANK YOU BROTHER ALBERT!

EVER SO KINDLY FOR SUCH A HEARTFUL GREETING AND RESPONDING TO MY POST!

I COUNT IT JOY AND AN HONOR TO BE IN THE PRESENCE OF THE ALMIGHTY GOD!

I WELCOME ALL YOU SAY BECAUSE I HEAR YOU!

THE WORD OF GOD IS THE TRUTH AND THE LIGHT!

THE TRINITY OF THE FATHER, SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT TRANSCENDS HOW IT MUST!

WE ARE BROTHER AND SISTER THROUGH GOD , OUR BLOOD AND OUR STRUGGLE!

I AM SO GRATEFUL TO BE ABLE TO HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR AS I HEAR MY BROTHER BOB MARLEY IN ALL OF HIS MUSIC AS WELL AS I HEAR HIS BEAUTIFUL WIDOW RITA MARLEY IN HER CARRYING ON OF HIS MESSAGE, "ONE WORLD,ONE LOVE--"

IT DOES NOT MATTER THAT OUR CULTURES HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT OR OUR LOCATION , OUR ANCESTRY IS THE SAME, OUR PEOPLE ARE THE SAME, OUR STRUGGLES ARE THE SAME...

THANK YOU FOR SO ELOQUENTLY SPEAKING AND EDUCATING ME AND OTHERS OF WHAT GOD HAS PLACED ON YOUR HEART TO DO!

JUST AS OUR BROTHER BOB MARLEY'S MESSAGE IS IN HIS MUSIC, YOU ECHO IT ALL SO WELL THROUGH YOUR BEAUTIFUL POEMS HERE. THEY ARE TRULY A TRIBUTE TO WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT. THANK YOU!

I, BEING THIS PROUD SOUTHERN USA SISTER WILL KEEP LISTENING TO "SLOGANS" AND ALL OF BOB MARLEY'S MUSIC BECAUSE I KNOW IT IS INSPIRED. IT IS THE TRUTH! IT IS THE WAY OF LIFE!

I WELCOME YOU TO CONTINUE EDUCATING ME AND OTHERS OF A CULTURE OUR BROTHER BOB MADE KNOWN TO THE WORLD! TO SEE DR. KING IN BOB MARLEY'S VIDEOS AND TO HAVE BEEN THERE WITH MY OWN FATHER IN MEMPHIS ON THE DAY HE WAS ASSASINATED FOR COMING TO HELP THE SANITATION WORKERS IN MEMPHIS WILL FOREVER BE IN MY "GUT!"

"SLOGANS" SAYS IT ALL FOR ME SO BEAUTIFULLY.  TO HAVE BEEN BORN DURING A TIME  IN THE USA WHERE CIVIL RIGHTS BECAME KNOWN.  GOD MADE IT A LIGHT AND IT WILL FOREVER SHINE , FOR ALL TO SEE WHETHER THEY WANT TO OR NOT!  WE STILL HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO. BUT WE WILL GET THERE!

TO NOW WITNESS IN THE NATIONAL CIVIL RIGHTS MUSEUM IN MEMPHIS,ALL OF THE PICTURES AND WORKS OF OUR FORE BROTHERS THAT HAVE PAVED THE WAY FOR US AS A PEOPLE LIKE DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., MALCOLM X, MARCUS GARVEY, NELSON MANDELLA, ETC LET ME KNOW THAT WE WILL GET THERE!

TO HAVE MEET MY BROTHER ALBERT IN THE SPIRIT WHO ECHOES THE TRUTH AND THE LIGHT OF A RASTAFARI CULTURE AS OUR BROTHER BOB MARLEY AND HIS WIFE RITA MARLEY SHOWED THE WORLD LET ME KNOW WE WILL GET THERE!

LIKE, MY BROTHER DR. KING SAYS, "...IT MAY NOT BE IN OUR LIFETIME..."   NEVERTHELESS, LET ME KNOW WE WILL GET THERE!

I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH MY BROTHER ALBERT FOR ENLIGHTENING AND WELCOMING ME!

WE WILL GET THERE!

MAY GOD BLESS,

TEMPIE
TempieDKing

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 02:53:48 PM »

I will share that this day 1/15/07 ended for me and my family in attendance with over 12,000 others in Memphis this evening at the fifth annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration.

To give some highlights...

A tour of The National Civil Rights Museum

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Sports Legacy Symposium and Awards
were presented during the Memphis Grizzlies -vs- Phoenix Suns half-time.

It is another profound memory to be present and see all again in honor of Dr. King awards be given to:

Dikembe Mutomo - for his legacy of community service in the United States and Africa. He created the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation in 1997, with the aim of improving the health, education and quality of life for people in his homeland of Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

David Robinson - known not only as one of the top centers in NBA history, but also as one of the preeminent philanthropists in all of professional sports.

Featuring a special Martin Luther King Jr. tribute video and recognition followed by...

the legendary Patti LaBelle...

to hear her tonight sing, "NEW ATTITUDE" brought out a newness
within me...

The Memphis Grizzlies lost the game to the Phoenix Suns but a
VICTORY far beyond a basketball game was in the midst tonight as over 12,000 people stood and touched one another of all colors, ages and walks of life...

Yes today was beautiful ...another day in history...

A DREAM LIVES ON...

As Dr. Martin Luther King will forever be one of my heros and Memphis my birthhome, I will always remember that day standing with my dad as we watched and listened to him in Memphis not knowing it would be his last speech...

HIS DREAM LIVES ON...

To you Dr. King on your Day my simple little poem...

AWAITING

By

Tempie

Waking to another beautiful Day
Easy like Sunday Morning
With sunrise and it's glory
The Lord is my shepherd…

He leadeth me beside the still waters
Along the banks of a Mississippi riverboat
The whistle of a, Proud Mary!
I my beloved Memphis…

Grandeur of many greats,