Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 60 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Relationships and Gender Issues (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  'Homophobia favours Aids spread'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 'Homophobia favours Aids spread'  (Read 10971 times)
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« on: April 26, 2004, 08:11:20 AM »

'Homophobia favours Aids spread'

Homophobia among British Africans is hampering the fight against Aids, the head of the Commission for Racial Equality is to warn in a speech.
The fastest-growing rate of HIV infection in the UK is among heterosexuals in African communities.

Trevor Phillips will announce zero tolerance towards those whose homophobia and prejudices thwart the fight against the epidemic.

He is also expected to call for an "all-out educational campaign".

"Stigma and denial within those communities is hampering our battle with the virus," he is expected to tell the Civil Service Race Equality Network in London on Monday.

He will say: "Too many Africans, whether infected in Africa or Britain, are presenting so late with symptoms that they are beyond the help of the anti-retrovirals that can remove the automatic death sentence of Aids."

He will also urge the government to consult with the communities at risk, and pledge to raise the matter with Health Secretary John Reid at the next opportunity.

But African communities play en essential role in breaking taboos and help fight the deadly infection.

Mr Phillips warns: "In Britain, expertise in fighting HIV rests in the gay community, but African men in particular are wary of being associated with anything gay.

"We will have zero tolerance of anyone who allows homophobia to stand in the way of our protecting vulnerable African communities".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3658247.stm

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 09:03:06 AM »

There are an amazing number of people who still think of AIDS as basically a "gay disease"... or that at least if you're not sharing needles or going to prostitutes, you're automatically safe... then there are hideous myths like that AIDS can be cured by having sex with a virgin (!!!!!!)
I remember one time I foolishly had unprotected sex with a woman I didn't know well, and the horrible suspense of the next 6 months as I waited to get tested... even knowing that my chances of getting AIDS were low, just the existence of any chance at all weighed heavy on my mind, especially since there was a woman in another country who I had a relationship with and was going to come back to. No fifteen minutes of pleasure or huge sigh of relief when your tests come back negative, is worth that six-month wait. (My uncle died of AIDS so I guess that added to my paranoia).
Use protection unless you and your partner have both gotten tested and its been at least 3 months (pref. 6) between your last sexual encounter, and getting tested. Women, remember you can get AIDS much more easily than men, insist that your man wears a condom whether he likes it or not. Many men hate condoms. Myself I have a hard time ejaculating in one (no pun intended), but I found a brand that works better for me. Unless you are 100% sure that you know the bannah REALLY REALLY well and he's safe (been tested and you've seen the results) then just tell the guy no rubber, no rub. And males, don't think just cos it's easier for women to get AIDS, that you can't get AIDS.
As for the gays, other gays should give advice to them, but obviously everyone should protect themself. Cheaters whether heterosexual or bisexual should consider the potential consequences of their actions to their regular partners. If you cheat on your wife and you think there might be even a slight risk of bringing her back something nasty, it's much better to own up to her and face her wrath, than to have that on your conscience. (I give thanks me auntie left my uncle before he could give her anything cos he use to have plenty woman).
Of course there are those who say AIDS tests are totally meaningless, HIV does not cause AIDS, etc., I don't know about any of that as I'm not a scientist but the above post is based on the assumption that AIDS tests are fairly reliable and that HIV does cause AIDS.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: