Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 75 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Yosef Ben-Jochannan's son shot dead in Harlem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Yosef Ben-Jochannan's son shot dead in Harlem  (Read 47321 times)
Oshun_Auset

« on: June 04, 2004, 10:35:03 AM »

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/21970.htm
May 29, 2004 -- A quick-thinking 11- year-old boy survived three thugs' invasion of his family's Harlem apartment by playing dead after his father was fatally shot in a dispute over money, police sources and neighbors said yesterday.
The boy had watched in horror as his dad, Nnandi Ben-Jochannan, was gunned down by a convicted murderer.

So when one of the hoods, Ralph Hall, 61, fired a shot in the boy's direction, the kid slumped to the floor and feigned death, said a police source.

"The son witnessed his dad's shooting, and then pretended he was dead," said the source.

"He played dead on the floor, heard the door close and then ran down stairs." said close friend Larry Johnson.

"A good man is gone," said Johnson. "He was a little dude with the heart of four or five men."  

The violence erupted in the Ben-Jochannan's ninth-floor apartment on Frederick Douglass Boulevard at about 8:30 p.m. Thursday when Hall and two other thugs burst into the home, cops said.

Ben-Jochannan, 36, a father of two who owned a variety shop across the street from the building, was shot in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Neighbors said that after the suspects fled the scene, the victim's son ran out of the apartment sobbing, crying, "Somebody killed my father!"

Hall, who did 20 years for a 1969 murder and attempted murder, was nabbed when cops traced the getaway car.

It was unclear if anything was taken from the apartment.

Family and friends identified Hall as a "friend who lived in the neighborhood."

Ben-Jochannan, son of a well-known retired Cornell University professor, Egyptologist Dr. Yosef Ben-Jochannan, was remembered yesterday for his heart and love of kids.

"He was always doing stuff for the kids," said one neighbor who has lived in the building 18 years. "He would [have] barbecues and cookouts. When the kids were going back to school he would give a really big block party."

Hall is charged with second-degree murder.

"He should get life without parole, so he can sit there every day for the rest of his life and think about what he did," said Johnson.

Additional reporting by Tatiana Deligiannakis and Josh Williams

Forward to a united Africa!
Africanprince

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 09:15:16 PM »

WOW! Sad  Cry  R.I.P.

Very smart boy, I don't even know if I have the wits to pretend dead in that situation.

Was this just a robbery? Or was there something else behind it?
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 08:51:58 AM »

From what I have read it was just a robbery...But you never know for sure...

preach

Roots

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 05:47:27 PM »

Thanks for the post Oshun. Dr. Ben's " African Origins of the Major Western Religions" is on my list as of one of the most influential books I have ever had the pleasure of reading and re-reading. I wish his family well.

one love

love
Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 10:23:17 AM »

Thank ya for postin' this. I think tis post is yet another illustration of the evil, material, Babylonian society that InI are faced with every day. InI are hunted daily by these thugs, whose only goals are to save his own, and to create terror in the lives of JAH people.

Somma dem seh that yuh will never fall into trouble if you live an upright life, and avoid the evils of the society. Is this so? Could this attack have been prevented if Nnandi Ben-Jochannan had not had this "dispute over money" ? Or it simply a fatality from the evil ways of Babylon, and no fault within?

InI I hang on in there....InI I no leggo!!!! (So JAH Seh)
nyamabla

Rastafari

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 08:03:25 PM »

InI are hunted daily by these thugs, whose only goals are to save his own, and to create terror in the lives of JAH people.

jochannan bless up.

legacy can you explain this please.

blessed
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 01:11:11 AM »

The major objective of the United Snakes government of Amerikkka is to intimidate, attack or assassinate any charismatic Black scholar or leader at all cost. Therefore, this cold-blooded murder of Nnandi Ben-Jochannan was surely orchestrated from the highest levels of the state to terrorize Dr. Yosef Ben-Jochannan. To me, this is evident.

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
walt235

Roots

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 07:49:19 PM »

The major objective of the United Snakes government of Amerikkka is to intimidate, attack or assassinate any charismatic Black scholar or leader at all cost. Therefore, this cold-blooded murder of Nnandi Ben-Jochannan was surely orchestrated from the highest levels of the state to terrorize Dr. Yosef Ben-Jochannan. To me, this is evident.

B.K

Yeah, that's it! There's a roomful of evil government employees who sit around and twist their mustaches while they hatch plots against blacks!
Roll Eyes
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 09:53:22 PM »

Yeah, that's it! There's a roomful of evil government employees who sit around and twist their mustaches while they hatch plots against blacks!
Roll Eyes

-Cointerlpro: FBI threats and attacks on Black revolutionary leaders and groups.

-CIA Assassinations of Patrice Lumumba, Malcom X, Bobby Hutton, Fred Hampton and many others...

-Overthrow of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Sukarno, Jean Bertrand Aristide to name a few.

-Propaganda manoeuvre and infiltration of major Black Liberation movements to undermine every effort to achieve Black Nationalism and Black Unity.

-Loans and funding to Black leaders to establish leadership in Black nations, communities and movements.

-Magnify ego problems and differences among the Black Nationalist movements and exploit these differences to create organizational splits.  

As you can see this type of methods are used by the US government and its allies in order to disrupt militant Black Nationalism worldwide.
The truth!

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 07:52:26 AM »

Roll Eyes

I can't believe that people still don't know about Cointelpro Shocked! What rock are you living under?(I'm usually not flippant with my posts but you were trying to be funny with yours) There are a lot of rooms filled of government 'employees' hatching plots against any kind of liberation movement, within the U.S. and internationally! You might want to check out this link on further government covert opperations...

http://www.africaspeaks.com/reasoning/?board=International;action=display;num=1086885673

Oshun_Auset

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 03:29:54 PM »

By the way, The US government even plotted to kill Americans and frame the Cubans for it in 1962 so it would have an excuse to invade Cuba (read the recently declassified Northwoods Document)

http://www.guerrillafunk.com/general_info/nthwds.pdf

http://www.guerrillafunk.com/general_info/abcdoc2.jpg

Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 11:28:50 AM »

Apologies for not writing sooner..i have been busy, seen?

on Jun 14th, 2004, 9:23am, Ras_Legacy wrote:InI are hunted daily by these thugs, whose only goals are to save his own, and to create terror in the lives of JAH people

In this society, there are people who have been brainwashed throughout their lives to think that the only way to "make it" (make money, gain 'happiness', etc) is to steal from others, and make the world more difficult for others.
Listen to the words of these "gangsta rappers"- most of their lyrics contain images of glorified shootings, robberies, rapes, and murders.  Dem only care about getting what dey want, and don't care who dey destroy and downpress.

Seen?

one luv,
legacy

Oshun_Auset

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 12:12:44 PM »

Apologies for not writing sooner..i have been busy, seen?

In this society, there are people who have been brainwashed throughout their lives to think that the only way to "make it" (make money, gain 'happiness', etc) is to steal from others, and make the world more difficult for others.
Listen to the words of these "gangsta rappers"- most of their lyrics contain images of glorified shootings, robberies, rapes, and murders.  Dem only care about getting what dey want, and don't care who dey destroy and downpress.

Seen?

one luv,
legacy

I agree, but are they "brainwashed" or just following the lead of the real "gangsters"(multi-national corporations/ the capitalist elite in governments/ ect.)?...The system of capitalism we live under exists because of and promotes "stealing form others" on a global basis...Social structure encourages and promotes individual behavior. The macrocosm influences the microcosm. Although we all do have individual responsibility...we need a society that fosters humanity, not exploitation. Otherwise the madness will continue on a societal level..

This reminds me of the song by Peter a Tosh..."Can't blame the youth."

OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 01:36:12 PM »

tradegy has been hitting this family for past few years. NYC is insane.

When we have the determination to restrain our lower desires, the door is opened for us to fulfill our highest aspirations.
Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 10:06:33 AM »

This reminds me of the song by Peter a Tosh..."Can't blame the youth."

(btw- this was a Bob song, no?)

YOU CAN'T BLAME THE YOUTH (from Talkin' Blues)
You can’t blame the youths, you can’t fool the youths.
You can’t blame the youths of today.
You can’t fool the youths.

You teach the youths to learn in school,
And like a cow jump over the moon.
You teach the youths to learn in school,
Like the dish that ran away with the spoon.
So you can’t blame the youths of today.
You can’t fool the youths.
You can’t blame the youths, none at all.

You teach the youth about Christopher Columbus,
And you said he was a very good man.
You teach the youth about Marco Polo,
You teach the youth about the Pirate Hawkins,
You teach the youth about the Pirate Morgan,
So you can’t blame the youths when they don’t learn.
You can’t blame the youths of today.

When every Christmas comes,
You by the youth a pretty toy gun.
When every Christmas comes,
You by the youth a fancy toy gun.
So you can’t blame the youth when they get bad…

(insert the names of famous gangsters where needed)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: