Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 360 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Relationships and Gender Issues (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Plastics cause gender change
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Plastics cause gender change  (Read 29619 times)
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2004, 02:53:00 PM »

Its the stability of the man which grounds the woman and she loves it. A woman doesnt need another person who is shaky and insecure, or complicated.

I think man forgets sometimes that it was mom who was the one who gave that stability first to him.
Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2004, 04:27:19 PM »

Iyah360
"I think man forgets sometimes that it was mom who was the one who gave that stability first to him. "

If a man is raised by his mother he'll be a momma's boy. All men love their mother but to be raised right as men they must grow up in the company of a strong man.

Alot of men arent around for their sons and sons grow up fatherless. Unless they seek out more mature men they wont grow up right.

I agree with balance. Society has to have balance. Men have to be men and women have to be women. Men get off balance with their manhood. This isnt about male domination.

African justice - white redemption
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2004, 09:11:03 AM »

Iyah360
"I think man forgets sometimes that it was mom who was the one who gave that stability first to him. "

If a man is raised by his mother he'll be a momma's boy. All men love their mother but to be raised right as men they must grow up in the company of a strong man.

Alot of men arent around for their sons and sons grow up fatherless. Unless they seek out more mature men they wont grow up right.

I agree with balance. Society has to have balance. Men have to be men and women have to be women. Men get off balance with their manhood. This isnt about male domination.

I am not talking about men being "momma's boys" - I am talking about the fundamental FACT that every infant was first given comfort and stability by the mother.

On your other points - I think that we have been confused as to the value of women by an unbalanced patriarchal history(I differentiate here between "Western" patriarchy which devalues women as opposed to perhaps other cultures which though patriarchal do not have the same violent and rigid suppression aspect), so I think that a fundamental appreciation by us(men) for our complement (women) as EQUAL co-creator in the realm of our overstanding of things helps us get into a more balanced outlook.

This does not mean that what you are saying in regards to men needing other men to grow up properly is incorrect. It is more a matter that with our mindset being shaped by the blueprint of HIStory, how we value women is skewed and it can happen that we downplay her role in the FULLNESS of creation. I feel this definitely comes into play when trying to define roles and values for men and women.
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 10:26:05 AM »

Kebo, I think what I and others are picking up on is an underlying tone in your statements that suggests that females/female energy is less important than males/male energy. Why else would you say something like 'male energy is what drives society forward' or whatever it was you said (paraphrasing from memory again). If you really stood for the idea that males and females are different but complimentary and equally important (which I agree with) then you would have said 'the combination of male and female energy is what drives society forward.'
You're welcome to think that I have been 'feminized' or whatever. I bet I could still whup your butt though. (LOL- it's a joke- don't get 'feminine' and take it personally like last time).
Well I think I'm a little clearer as to what your ideas of masculinity and femininity are now. To me they seem like a combination of common sense observations (yes, women tend to be attracted to men who make them feel secure- though it's arguable how much this is biological and how much it's cultural, given that in many cultures women are given limited if any opportunities to provide for themselves and hence had better choose the man who will best take care of them if they know what's good for 'em- and yes, sometimes you want to hang out with just your boys for a minute and talk about some things you might not want to talk about around females, although in my experience those things tend to be more comparisons of the said females' mammary sizes, etc, rather than profound life lessons and rites of passage)... with the stereotyped inflexible notions that have been superimposed on these common sense observations by a particular society (i.e., men must put up a front of being 'hard' all the time when they're around women, or the women will consider them worthless punks unable to protect them from saber-tooth tigers etc., and men and women should basically be homosocial when they're not engaging in reproductive activities, although you allow that perhaps one or two non-procreative female friends might not be TOO damaging to one's masculinity...)
Last point for today; apart from my violent femme ex, the women I mentioned in the context of being warriors were doing far more than being 'tough' alpha females beating up other girls. They were/are warriors in the full sense of the word, with all of its supposedly 'masculine' connotations of protecting family and community, using violence, taking risks, etc. So would you say that this makes them less 'feminine' by your definition?
Yann

Ayanna's Roots

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 09:30:40 AM »

People always misunderstand about balance. Balance does not take place externally just like that. It must first take place internally. Just as two individuals cannot be fuse and be one, no matter how they try to sell it in the Christian marriage ritual, a male embodying all the false misunderstood ideas of masculinity and a female embodying all the false misunderstood qualities of femininity cannot restore balance to the world. Males and females cannot even be honest with each other most of the times, cannot even get along to accomplish simple tasks; we really expect that by coming together in the embodiment of false materialistic ideals will restore some balance to society?  

It is no error that the symbol of the hermaphrodite is so prevalent in mythology- it is ideal. The ‘male’ and ‘female’ energies must fuse into one inside; we must realize and harness the power of both to bring balance inside, and by extension bring balance externally.  

People need to closely examine history and see how the paradigm is shifting. Unfortunately (for the egos) people cannot really get it so easily. So if it is balance and freedom they really looking for, then these warped ideas of balance certainly will not take them anywhere.
Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2004, 01:01:15 PM »

Gman

I'm not as concerned with characterizing the woman as I am about characterizing man. Its ironic that as much as women are oppressed in the world that female energy tends to dominate a lot of men. Maybe its a cultural thing in the west. My experience is that men maintain their masculinity more in regions like Africa and South America.

Kebo

African justice - white redemption
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: