Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:57:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  WORLD HOT SPOTS
| |-+  Around the World (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Barbados Republic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Barbados Republic  (Read 5538 times)
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« on: January 24, 2005, 09:56:34 AM »

This statement brought out by the Prime Minister Mr.Arthur has caused a very heated debate among Bajans from old to young, Many feel disturbed by it and some are annoyed but for me I am for it,Being a Republic has much benefits such as we no longer have to answer or go to the Queen for anything,In a political sense the goverment would have more power aorund the things they do in the Country...

Republic By Year-end

by NEVILLE CLARKE

FROM MARCH, Government will be putting steps in place to make Barbados a republic by year-end.

Prime Minister Owen Arthur made the disclosure last night while addressing a joint meeting of the Christ Church West and St Michael South branches of the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) at Garrison Secondary School.

He said Attorney-General Mia Mottley would present a draft bill in Parliament in March to amend the Constitution.

“Thirty-eight years ago at Independence people were not confident in how secure we were in some of the symbols that reflect the Barbadian personality, and a lot was left to be done by future generations,” Arthur told cheering party members.

“These generations have to decide what it is they want to accept as the symbolic representation of the Barbados personality as represented by our head of state. The moment is coming this year.

“This BLP will move this country to a higher and mature plane of political development by having changes to our Constitution that embrace many of the proposals of the Henry Forde Constitutional Commission. Some of these proposals address fundamentally our standing as a nation before the family of nations as a country that is secure in its own identity, to have one of its own become its supreme head of state,” Arthur added.

The Prime Minister told his audience that as Barbados’ leader he would have fundamental problems swearing allegiance to a King Harry.

“Heaven forbid, but if Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth were to die; if Prince Charles and if Prince William were to die, I would have it as a fundamental difficulty swearing allegiance to King Harry. I really would,” Arthur said.

Arthur also told his audience 2005 was a critical year in the development of Barbados.

He identified the coming on stream of the Caricom Single Market and Economy; addressing the gridlock on the country’s roads which affected productivity; and the hosting of World Cup as some of the major challenges facing his administration.

http://www.nationnews.com/StoryView.cfm?Record=57169&Section=LO&Current=2005%2D01%2D24%2000%3A00%3A00

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: