Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:05:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 92 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Relationships and Gender Issues (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  What do you think about multiracial children ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: What do you think about multiracial children ?  (Read 128139 times)
wezekana

« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2007, 03:00:02 AM »

I think, perhaps the terms race, racial, and multiracial need to be given a more concise definition... for increased ease of use. Because, what I think I'm reading here is that many people, on either side of the discussion, regard the African genome as the parental stock and birthplace of all other human colors and types (and rightly so). So, where then does that correctly position the issue called race? Who then is really separate?

race      /reɪs/ –noun
1.   a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2.   a population so related.
3.   Anthropology.
a.   any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.   an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, esp. formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.   a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
4.   a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race.
5.   any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race.
6.   the human race or family; humankind: Nuclear weapons pose a threat to the race.
7.   Zoology. a variety; subspecies.
8.   a natural kind of living creature: the race of fishes.
9.   any group, class, or kind, esp. of persons: Journalists are an interesting race.
10.   the characteristic taste or flavor of wine.
–adjective
11.   of or pertaining to the races of humankind.
[Origin: 1490–1500; < F < It razza, of obscure orig.]

—Synonyms 1. tribe, clan, family, stock, line, breed. Race, people, nation are terms for a large body of persons who may be thought of as a unit because of common characteristics. In the traditional biological and anthropological systems of classification race refers to a group of persons who share such genetically transmitted traits as skin color, hair texture, and eye shape or color: the white race; the yellow race. In reference to classifying the human species, race is now under dispute among modern biologists and anthropologists. Some feel that the term has no biological validity; others use it to specify only a partially isolated reproductive population whose members share a considerable degree of genetic similarity. In certain broader or less technical senses race is sometimes used interchangeably with people. People refers to a body of persons united usually by common interests, ideals, or culture but sometimes also by a common history, language, or ethnic character: We are one people; the peoples of the world; the Swedish people. Nation refers to a body of persons living under an organized government or rule, occupying a defined area, and acting as a unit in matters of peace and war: the English nation.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Not the best source, but currently the quickest.

The term itself is one steeped in and raised out of separatist ideals and, as with all of constructs this nature, truly holds no hope for Umoja (Unity). Where now, and in which direction do we go? How does our being brothers, cousins, or relatives, though removed by land mass, expanse of sea or area, render one separate or an entirely different race?

I feel what we are dealing with here is an unresolved hatred for previous and present grievances, which were not atoned for and thus not forgiven. But I could be wrong. Many people may be harboring these feelings for much more sinister reasons. Vengeance, retribution and revenge are just a couple possibilities.

Let us not become the generation spoken so lowly of by the ancient sages and seers. Let us instead release the bonds of hatred that we have imposed upon ourselves and one another. This, current version of multiculturalism that we have erected is constraining and allows no room for growth or development. If this at this crucial moment we allow the situation to remain the same, and we cannot be relied upon for our own collective welfares, which other avenues or sources of help shall we turn to?

Tehuti

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2007, 01:57:04 PM »

I think, perhaps the terms race, racial, and multiracial need to be given a more concise definition... for increased ease of use. Because, what I think I'm reading here is that many people, on either side of the discussion, regard the African genome as the parental stock and birthplace of all other human colors and types (and rightly so). So, where then does that correctly position the issue called race? Who then is really separate?

Quite right. I agree with this statement.
The whole idea of "race" was to justify certain acts and behaviours, profiling.
I'm not bugged by "multiracial" children. Intrigued is the word.
empressiternal

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »

Greetings Maya
My views are not always greeted with the Love that their posted with.InI am PRO HUMANITY !!! Without apology. And it is InI belief [I am not forcing it on any one] that children of mixed culture are NOT HALF CAISTE/MONGREL/HALFBREED. Remember 2 halves make a whole, whole head, whole heart, whole body. And I stand by I belief that we are all equal . If we are living life with a clean heart with out  being RACIST/OPPRESSIVE/DISCOURAGING/INSULTING/DEGRADING /ABUSIVE to another person then no WHITE/BLACK person can make I believe any different. Our past is real and an unforgivable fact of life. I believe if you have children of dual heritage they have the right to be told the whole truth of their ancestory [both sides] InI know alot of white womban who cannot educate their children on their  Forefathers past, and again I know a lot of Black womban who are just the same. All children are a Blessing, from they are loved and brought up with the knowledge of their origins, know how to treat people raspectfully with out prejudice, The colour of their skin SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE ,Look at some of the great Dual Heritage singers boxers, Late Great Bob Marley, MOHAMMED ALI. Children of all nations need to be brought up with love for all humanity if we want the world to be a better place. There is NO ROOM IN A CHILDS LIFE FOR WHITE/BLACK SUPREMACY
Love and Raspect
Empress I
wezekana

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2007, 07:16:53 PM »

There is no room in any child's life for anything except love.

EmpresKeneilwe

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »

Greetings to all....love and respect

I'm fairly new on this forum and must say that it saddens that there were so many negatives vibes regarding this topic.

But I have to agree with Bantu Kelani - though I respect all views. I'm not for any supremacy, black or white...but as a dark-skinned woman, I must say that more light-skinned people are more accepted by society than we are. Even by our so-called brothers. I experience this almost all the time. We are constantly told, "I would love to have light-skinned woman with long straight hair, that wears make-up to "appreciate" herself". To me that sounds like their desire is actually a white woman, they just didn't get a chance to be with one. So a light-skinned woman is as good as it gets...which is really sad...I've come to realisation that I should put my race first, dark-skinned kinky-hair people first. Surely I do not a problem with multi-racial children, it's their fault.

I think Maya and Exotic misunderstood Bantu comments.

For Maya
If you claim to be as conscious as you are, you in your right mind wouldnt have even thought of creating these kids (even out of love), knowing the perception of society we live in. At the end of the day, much as we may not like to admit it - it always boils down to COLORISM.

I'm South African, and believe you me, in this so-called, democratic rainbow nation, the blacks in our own land, are still considered the inferior race with the barbaric behaviour. People don't respect our culture or traditions, even blacks - the educated ones. So what have our leaders done for us...white people are richer thatn ever, politicians are looking out for their own "race" - other politians. Here there is no such thing as Pan-Africanism - it every man for himself. As blacks I believe we should stick together. Any child of more than one race descent who embraces their blackness, i respect that and most of all, appreciate it.

One thing that white or "mixed race" peopleon this forum should remember this was initially for blacks unheard cries. For so many years, we've been kicked down and told how to react to the kick. To top it all off we are supposed to overstand other peoples sufferings and ignore ours. Now that is uncalled for.

Peace
Keneilwe
Nyabingi4ever

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2010, 08:11:48 AM »

What Pure Race truly exsists?  We are all of mixed blood!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: