Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:47:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 82 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Spirituality (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  FEEDING THE ANCESTORS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FEEDING THE ANCESTORS  (Read 11477 times)
OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« on: May 22, 2005, 12:34:02 PM »

this thread is not for those you that do not appreciate or believe in indigenous spirituality. this thread is not a debate. it is a tool of assistance.

if you dont believe in the principle, the need or the benefits, find another thread to troll, but please do not destroy this one.

FEEDING THE ANCESTORS

Over time I have begun to be less concerned with what people "think" my work with the Ancestors. Some elders say Ancestor Worship, some say Ancestor Reverence. I say choosing one depends on how worried you are about what negroes and white people think you are doing. lol Both are adequate, neither is better. Anyways...we provide adimu or ebo, which are forms of sacrifice to Ancestors. We so to share in the bounty of our blessings and provide the energy associated with those meals and their preparation to our Ancestors.

Some people concern themselves with finding out "why people think it works"
Some people concern themselves with finding out "why it works"
Some people concern themselves with finding out "how i can make it work for me"

I fit into the last category. With that said here are some foods that are traditionally offered to ancestors. Some are traditionally continental african. othes are traditionally diasporan african. Its good to do a combination of both. feed your ancestors after reading this post and enjoy the support of your own family line.

if you need to find some of these items, look for an international grocery store that serve immigrants or look for w. african traders in your city.

By the way, its about giving them what they WANT, not what you are COMFORTABLE preparing. The easiest way to do things, is to give what they ate when they were alive, unless they died of health conditions associated with their diet.

Candied Yams - Diasporan
Baked Yams - Continental
Iyan/ Fufu (cooked yam flour) - Diasporan

Kola Nuts /orogbo - Continental
Coconut/Obi abata - Diasporan / Continental
Coffee - Diasporan

Oyin/ Honey - Diasporan / Continental
Gin (Oti) / Rum - Diasporan / Continental
Palm Wine - Continental

Collard Greens - Diasporan
Hammocks - Diasporan

Oto - Continental
Palm Nut / Palm Oil - Continental
Palm Nut & Peanut Soup - same as above

Fresh Fruit - Diasporan / Continental

Sweets - Diasporan / Continental
Water - Diasporan / Continental

A small plate of whatever you are eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Diasporan / Continental

Some say that Ancestors prefer food w/o lots of seasoning, so they avoid cooking directly with peppers and salt and add those later to their food and avoid adding them plates presented to Ancestors.

p.s. i will be adding more later. i have noticed that some of my posts end up on websites without my name attached. this is distressing. at least give recognition or rewrite it with your added components and share credit.

When we have the determination to restrain our lower desires, the door is opened for us to fulfill our highest aspirations.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: