Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:36:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Young Adults
| | |-+  "Nobody's perfect... Nobody deserves to be perfect"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Nobody's perfect... Nobody deserves to be perfect"  (Read 22662 times)
Makini
Makini

« on: August 27, 2011, 07:10:48 AM »

Greetings,

Someone made the statement to me yesterday that "Nobody's perfect" and then further stated that "Nobody deserves to be perfect".

I am sure you have heard it said by someone or you may have said it before out of reflex or otherwise. What do you think of such a statement? I once said it to someone who picked it up with me in discussion and I had cause to consider what it really meant when I said it, but what do you think? Can anyone be perfect? Are we being reasonable when we make such a statement, or are we denying ourselves the chance to work towards a better position, a better version of ourselves?

- M -
melaninmagic

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »

Hotep Goddess,

This sounds like a statement from a person comfortably satisfied with mediocrity.

To date, I have not encountered a single conscious Afrikan Centered individual who would subscribe to this mindset.

Is it not our purpose as the direct ascendants of the Divine Creator/Creatress, to actualize their perfection? It is only through our actions that their perfection is made manifest.

A person will find it difficult to do so, however, if they are in conflict as to what perfection truly is. This is the reason why it is necessary that we reconnect with our Afrikan Spiritual Systems, as these become our moral compass towards perfection.

Peace.
Makini
Makini

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »

Greeting melaninmagic,

Thank you for your post.

Yes agree. I suppose I gave my position away in the last part of the question I posed. It can be very easy to slip into complacency when you think in that way and accept weaker, lesser choices and do things that do not represent the best of ourselves. Also why cant someone deserve to be perfect, that was a bit strange, but its just my reflex to think it a strange statement. For someone else it might not be. Maybe I am not perfect in the scheme of things, but my actions can be the best I know at a particular point in time given my experiences, honesty with myself and integrity and that can represent a piece of perfection. Maybe it might not be, I then recognise better and move towards it, or not and move away from it.

I think though that people think of perfection as negative, as neurotic, as undesirable. People who are better than ourselves in their actions and achievements, we dont often value the work, effort, diligence that they put into what they do and as a result we either become jealous, angry, dismissive, envious or whatever and then ascribe doing things better than us, doing things that strive to be closer to perfection as something negative...only on the basis of our inability to attain it.

I could not have said it better than your reply though, 'conscious Afrikan Centered individual'. I guess I was not a few months ago when I myself said it? For sure I am not as conscious as so many others, but I am just thinking a lot about statements we make in reflex and dont stop to think what we mean by them or what we mean when we repeat them. Even the positive ones, like "Africa for the Africans", what do we really mean and do we stand by them or just repeat them?

Anyway, I like this, 'It is only through our actions that their perfection is made manifest.', I will try to remember that.

Respect

-M-
Billy1944

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »

Shocked What? Nobody's perfect? I'm not one to just follow "old saying and quotes" willy-nilly and never speak as an authority on things I have no proof of knowledge. Could there be someone, somewhere that IS perfect but YOU have never met him/her?
I have always said that God made a perfect physical human being with no flaws, everything in working order with no flaws. Two Thumbs
It is only when the individual goes astray, makes a mistake, or an accident does imperfection sets in. Perhaps, there is someone, somewhere that has done neither.- Remember:There is always a "devil's-advocate". Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: