Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:13:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25516 Posts in 9753 Topics by 980 Members Latest Member: - Roots Dawta Most online today: 61 (July 03, 2005, 11:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Leslie-Ann Paul (Moderator: leslie)
| | |-+  The Issue of Colorism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The Issue of Colorism  (Read 38541 times)
diyouth

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 01:03:51 AM »

"Diyouth,
I write what I understand to be true. And to answer your initial question, if the general idea for which something was written is not taken as it was intended, then it is perhaps taken out of context.--Zainab"

Zainab,
I don't want to respond to the bulk of your post in vain and go in circles.
So first i need to know what do you think i'm saying? What context do i have, to distort articles into?

The straight foward question you asked, i've already answered, yet I will answer straight foward.

The 'general idea' outside of colorism, is to see the glory, beauty of the darker skin; See it, in that it actually is.

Like the beauty of a sword, cant be seen by the information of how much innocent lives it has 'taken'!
instead by the information of how much lives it has 'saved'!

The information of how the 'darker-skin' has been discriminated "color/racism", disallows seeing its beauty.
For me (a teenager at the time) it was a particular picture of Marcus Garvey then reading his biography below it.  That information allowed me to see it! (apart from knowing my family)

Being informed of colorism, though positive in merit and truthful sharing experiences,
has a quality that is not positive when someone needs to see/acknowledge their glory, which is the ultimate objective for all regardless of race, gender, business, etc, right? (from this prospective i say the intellectualizing of 'colorism' changes nothing)

This time taken from:
http://crunkfeministcollective.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/ode-to-dark-skinned-girls/

"This documentary is important because it seems to speak to the silenced (and hurtful) experiences of a group of women who fail to consistently hear their worth (Psychology Today anyone?)  It is time that someone starts telling dark (skinned) girls they are beautiful, because of, not in spite of their skin color.  It has taken me years to combat the colorism in my own life but I think it is time for a shift in the narrative so that little dark (skinned) girls don’t have to wait ‘til they are grown to get self esteem– and so that as they are growing up and dealing with the prejudices of being dark-skinned they do not suffer in silence or isolation.  I wish someone would have been there to tell me it would be all right.  To remind me/show me/tell me I was beautiful. -- rboylorn"

*due check out her poem at the end of her article/post*

...again I want to know the answer to my initial questions to respond to your previous post.

Guidance
diyouth
Zaynab
Zainab

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »

Diyouth,
I do not know what basis you may have had for distorting the aforementioned article. I made an observation and made mention of it.  

"The 'general idea' outside of colorism, is to see the glory, beauty of the darker skin; See it, in that it actually is."

I do not understand what you mean by this statement. Moreover, what in your view constitutes beauty?

Additionally, you made a statement about myself and Makini with regards to our replies to your post, which you still have not yet explained.
diyouth

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 06:37:18 AM »

Zainab,

"The article did not touch on the importance of understanding colorism. The article focused more on Colorism Awareness and how it is used in advertising and in the advertising industry ." --Zainab

If the article did not touch or infer the Importance of understanding, at all, you wouldn't of said this:

"In this statement, following the general tone of the article, it is quite evident that the writer holds generally the same view as some others on this site. That is, the best way to start to fight colorism is by making ourselves aware of its existence." --Zainab

Which makes understanding colorism important;thats being aware; that's not distorting.
However the author implied the best way to start fight colorism in his own words, of which he concluded his article, simply:
"How can we expect people to respect us and our dark-skins if we don't?"

"You give these ad executives too much credit. I believe that yes, they do research, but not to the depths you are relating. They do not delve into the psyche of their research subjects." --Zainab

Again I distort article because you BELIEVE they do research but not to the depths i'm relating? Based on this 'belief' gave you reason that I've distorted article giving them too much credit? Why don't you KNOW for yourself instead of believe. Email the author of the article and know for yourself.

"You throw around the words 'informed', 'understand' and 'know' loosely. There is nothing informed about research done for the basis of advertising. --Zainab

Either you know, understand, informed or not. One has to delve into the psyche to be informed of Colorism? how much info does one need to know in order to know 'tightly'?

if these companies did/do understand colorism as you professed, then they would be easily aware of the negative effects of perpetuating this." --Zainab

So what do you think they would do if they were aware of the negative effects of perpetuating this?
especially when after you've said:

"People go into business to make money. Most of them do not care about the well being of others." --Zainab

"Even my words are taken out of context. What I said to you previously, does not apply here/in this instance. I asked you a straight forward question. You could choose to answer it or not." --Zainab

quyah now nuh...No one is shying away from your questions, nor treating you as beneath...
there's no need for this tone: "You could choose to answer it or not"...

You made a point about experiential gains and factual information conducive to discussion.
You ask of my beliefs, of which beliefs is not factual nor experiential. My response was not mocking
you, instead inferring that i'm not drawing from beliefs instead experiences personal and shared, including from persons in the media industry, namely film and fashion, as it relates. As well as a black dark-skinned individual trodding through the same community(Finch) as the persons documented in the link Fierytrini posted; http://shadeism.com/

It is clear, even when you search the internet via  key word "colorism",
information even in discussions have no mention of the "good" relating to the darker-skin....
...Yet me highlighting this is seen as trying to make colorism a none issue; something that shouldn't be discussed. I can only assume that's the reason why you and Makini have engaged my posts. (this speaks of something else that i may not get into here)" --diyouth

"Your comment here is perplexing. What are you trying to convey here?" --Zainab

if, i say if, the assumption is true, ones are only interested whether someone is on 'our-side' or not; affirmations more so than reasoning/discussion...This is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not getting into that here.

"I do not understand what you mean by this statement. Moreover, what in your view constitutes beauty?" --Zainab

'Self' (if i may put it that way)

a)You know you.
b)Colorism, racism, discrimination relates to what others think of you (non-self).

If you know yourself to be trustworthy how can you not look trustworthy!
If you know yourself to be a good person, how can you not be good looking?
It is most natural; even a dog 'knowing' you to be a good 'master',
your scent, sight, gives the dog, assurance, excitement, feel-good towards you.
This is beauty.

Unlike b) it doesn't care to know/experience you to see your beauty, it is only
interested in its own prejudices, biases, opinions and issues, imposed upon you; on all peoples of the earth.

Thats why to me, focusing, analyzing, intellectualizing, rationalizing, assessing,
delving into the psyche, all these things of colorism, is like trying to open a door
without contact.

Once the attention is on 'self', colorism cannot be internalized. Your in a position
not only to identify colorism effectively, but by identifying it you automatically defeat it!
and what to do thereafter in a given circumstance falls into place!

This not a philosophy it is natural....
Akilah concludes we must be okay with ourselves.
Leslie concludes we must not cower to privilege and social ills
A. Crawley concludes  we must respect ourselves...

...see that our beauty actually is('self')! 
not just the history and break down of why and how people refuse and don't see this.

Guidance
diyouth
Zaynab
Zainab

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 07:27:56 PM »

Diyouth,

I have seen many ideas of solutions on this website which point to the need for people to develop themselves in order to address social issues such as Colorism, Racism and others. Also, the forum is open so that anyone can contribute what they believe are viable solutions to address these and other problems. However, if people do not understand the issues as exemplified by your own ideas of Colorism, finding or understanding a solution is pre-mature.

Generally speaking, I am not in agreement with most of the views you expressed here, nor the views you expressed prior and how these views are presented. We are at odds with even the words we use and their meanings.

It is apparent, whether you are aware or not, that you continue to misrepresent/distort information to make a point. You have 'mis-understood' most of what I have said and I gather that you feel that I am misunderstanding you as well. It will take a lengthy time to properly articulate/construct a response to your last post. And, I do not have the time at this moment to respond to it properly.

For the time being, I wish you the best.

Peace, Zainab.
diyouth

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 12:57:14 AM »

Zainab,

"...most of the views you expressed here, nor the views you expressed prior..."  ----Zainab

would do you mean prior?

...Sure you really want to respond to my previous post?
Be it if I don't understand colorism, my contribution to such a topic,
will be conflicting, inarticulate and reaching; inadvertently distorting/misrepresenting information to make a point.
In addition theres a great chance I won't understand your response,
be it from an informed view(such as yours) I don't understand colorism in the first place!

Obversely, can someone understand colorism without saying and approaching the issue the same way as you (and others)?

"I have seen many ideas of solutions on this website which point to the need for people to develop themselves in order to address social issues such as Colorism, Racism and others"--Zainab

Glad you mention this.
Developing yourself in order to address a problem, means in the first place, one has misunderstood the problem and ones own part in the problem of which one is affected!

I don't think there's anything in nature that has written on it "the cure for________";
much less for diyouth to give some sort of solution for colorism...
...I could wish, but i'm certainly not doing that here am I...lol

"For the time being, I wish you the best."--Zainab

everytime...give thanks

Guidance
diyouth
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: