Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:36:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 67 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  WHY REPATRIATION?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WHY REPATRIATION?  (Read 9327 times)
leslie

AfricaSpeaks

« on: October 12, 2003, 03:45:30 PM »

Even before the prophet marcus mosiah garvey had entered into this realm there was the common dream to return to the mother land...at least those who understood the spiritual importance of the continent.
     it is quite evident that the physical landscape and peoples of afrika have changed drastically since the atlantic slave trade and the further rape of the continent by european imperialists. despite the fact that afrika is the place of our origin should we infact go back there to live?
    many diasporians who have encountered afrikans on the continent have experienced verbal abuse and blatant ostracism which left them even more confused...should they continue to refer themseves as afrikans?...why should people  go back to a place where they would obviously be rejected?
    many afrikans believe that the ultimate redemption of the race ends with repatriation...how realistic is that? also,how would you determine which part of the continent you would reside?
     maybe the best thing for us to do is to remain here in the west and suffer institutionalised racism,poverty,and spiritual death. why go back?
      according to buju banton, "till i'm laid to rest...always be depressed there's no life in the west...i know the east is the best...all the propaganda they spread,tongues would have to confess..."
          I certainly feel this way but i think that i can best help the continent where i am presently despite my feeling homesick. i will return home but can i guarantee that i would be accepted? would i return feeling like an outcast. i hope that someone can express their views and help me to understand if repatriation is a must or should the idea be done away with.?
Tyehimba

RastafariSpeaks

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 04:16:57 PM »

While there may be validity is some wanting to journey back physically to Afrika permanently, i see the essence of repatriation on a more spiritual level than on a physical level. As the essence of all things is the spiritual which underlies  and complements the physical, so it is that repatriation must first be the process by which ones is reconciled to one's higher self and from there all things are possible. This process of self reconciliation entails journeying back (which is the true meaning of the word religion) to the source of humanity which is Afrika.
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 07:27:13 PM »

Are Diaspora Afrocentrists shallow when it comes to Africa?

I am an African from Congo, I have had the opportunity to live in few other African Countries and currently in the States. This experience has given me the opportunity and authority to analyze various issues at hand in depth.  

I can boldly say that most Diaspora Blacks with their white, near-white counterparts expressing Africaness through the prism of Afrocentricity and Pan-African movements are somewhat shallow about AFRICA, with or not by intent but by the mere fact that they do not feel or have a direct link and relationship with the ongoing conflicts, poverty, diseases in Africa. Mistaken, they bound the continent all together with romantic philosophies. This explains why the majority of Diaspora Afrocentrists have not reached out to their brothers and sisters in the Motherland..

It is very obvious that blacks, white and near-white 'Afrocentrists' in the Diaspora and Africans on the Continent are very different! That's only logical when it comes to societies and circumstances, Diaspora Afrocentrists ASSUME that they know what Native African side is thinking, feeling, what motives and aspirations they have. This idealization come about subjective fragmentary information, self-worth based hypothesis, flawed observations through western media, in this because they are not directly deprived for MOST.  

Diaspora Afrocentrists praise repatriation to Ethiopia qua Africa, but how many of them are WILLING to invest in the affairs of Africa politically and economically? How many will be willing to try or even taking their time visit Africa? Not many, or not any! Diaspora Blacks, whites and near whites Afrocentrisists are not only scared of the instability of Africa, but also of the people in Africa itself!! They actually do not want natives of Africa to succeed...the white and near-whites sure as heaven don't want to lose some of their privileges. Consequently they get jealous and refuse to discuss the roots and solutions that could lead to the kinky-hair-dark-skinned-black-African success who are a great deal of the African populace worldwide. The MAJORITY of them although claiming Africa Liberation and Repatriation remain in the Diaspora, refuse to go and create business in the Motherland. Thus, the Indifference and sometimes HOSTILITY of some Africans towards Diaspora Afrocentrists who never set any foot in Africa and never reached out to build bridges.

In any case, there are Africans in the continent who very much distrust all people who are not from the continent, even people who are not from their country, ethnicity or tribe. I speak of rotten misguided souls who ruin the reputation of the rest of us Native Africans...I also think there are numerous Africans in the continent who are very accommodating and genuine! To practice Afrocentricity and Pan-Africanism does not mean only strutting in African trappings and promote self-content propaganda but it does mean Honesty, COURAGE and Wisdom. I am optimistic Africa can use inquisitive knowledge, expertise and help from the Diaspora and entrepreneurship.  

It is the DUTY of ALL Diaspora Africans having reached the end of their journey to freedom to reconcile with the Motherland. They should strive towards it instead of learning, accepting, and attaching themselves to the comfortable Ideologies of treacherous people who cloak themselves in Afrocentric robes..  It's time for all conscious Diaspora Africans to think out of the bubble and take the opportunity to visit Africa, this is very important to gain ALL the knowledge crucial to solve problems and give to the Motherland. We'll ALL be richly rewarded for this effort!  

Bantu-Kelani.

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Yann

Ayanna's Roots

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 01:29:42 PM »

Yes, Queen Kelani! As usual you have hit the nail on the head!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]The false sense of superiority that many Diaspora Africans feel in relation to their African counterparts is indeed a large part of the problem. Ones who talk about finding solutions and assert that the problems have been talked to death already clearly have no idea of the MAGNITUDE of the problems!

No need for me to reiterate the very valid points that you have raised in this post, but I will say this: This is the heart of the issue that was raised on the board before: ONE OF MERIT. While we all speak of working toward African unity, this cannot be achieved without AFRICANS taking a leading position in iterating their own issues.  There was much opposition on this board with many being unable to see the right order in dark skinned- kinky haired- black African people taking the forefront in black movements given the DEGREE that they feel the pain of racism. I would like to take it even further than that. We cannot talk of African unity and healing without seriously talking about AFRICAN ISSUES. We must be cognizant of African issues and African-led solutions in order for this thing to work. Otherwise we remain simply a bunch of talkers that will achieve nothing other than wallowing in our own arrogance and self-righteousness hidden underneath bolts of African fabric and other trappings of Afrocentricity.

Many of us are not aware of the real life issues that face our brother and sisters daily but are content to claim "Africa" conveniently and only when it does not challenge our own comfort zones. It is no wonder that our family on the continent views many Africans in the Diaspora with suspicion. Trying to talk about racism and poverty and economic development is pointless in the face of concerted attempts to strangle the voice of Africa WITHIN OUR OWN RANKS!   Where divisions exist we cannot claim unity and where problems exist we cannot look for solutions without properly examining the problems. Although many may see themselves fit for roles of leadership or having the ideal solutions to our problems I personally am very clear about where my role lies, and it is in SERVICE. Maybe if more people saw their purpose in this movement as such then we would finally get the order right and begin to SERIOUSLY talk about solutions.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: