Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:09:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 58 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Blood, Sweat and Takeaways
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blood, Sweat and Takeaways  (Read 5499 times)
fierytrini
AL

« on: January 29, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »

The following documentary was brought to my attention from a lecturer at school that teaches on Ethical issues. She suggested that the class view the series as it provided insight into the working conditions of laborers in countries like India, Africa, Saudi Arabia and the Eastern Pacific Islands. Her belief was that we would find the ethical problems in the films. There is so much more than just ethics at play here.

The documentary was created by the British Broadcasting Company (BBC). The documentary follows six privileged British adults to these countries and tapes them as they live and work as the local inhabitants. They are only there for three weeks.  It was interesting to view as it gave one a view of the working conditions that people endure to to provide for their families.
But, so much can be garnered otherwise; the attitude of the British workers to the locals, the contempt they harbour, and a lack of understanding by the foreigners as to how these workers got where they are.

I was only able to locate one full length piece from the series, but rest assure that the majority of the others were quite similar.
This one highlights living and working conditions of workers in Bangkok. In the beginning we get a short introduction of the lives of the participants and realize that most have no clue where their food originates and that some are doing this to make a "contribution to the world" as is the case of one young woman that was in another documentary about Africa mine workers. Along their journey, they meet rice, fish and poultry workers as well as a confrontation with Bangkok's prostitution circle. With each interaction, some of them refuse to be part of the process, claiming unsanitary conditions. Ironic that this is the same food they most likely eat at home.

I would like to hear other person's understanding of the documentary.

Thailand Blood , Sweat and Takeaways - Chicken
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: