Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:42:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25912 Posts in 9968 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 300 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Runaway Slave Ads: Reflection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Runaway Slave Ads: Reflection  (Read 6151 times)
Chillback05

Roots

« on: March 20, 2005, 03:30:21 PM »

I found these Runaway Slave Ads quite intriguing, Read these and reflect on the struggle of our ancestors.

NANSEMOND, SEPTEMBER 23, 1771
RUN away from the Subscriber, on the 3d Instant, two Country born Negro Fellows, viz. TOM, of a yellow Complexion, about five Feet nine or ten Inches high, much marked with the Whip, and is supposed to be thirty six Years of Age. He had with him, when he went away, an Osnabrug Shirt and Breeches, Felt Hat, and a new Dutch Blanket. DICK, a black Fellow about twenty six Years of Age, five Feet nine Inches high, has a Scar on his Head, and is dressed like the other. They carried off a Pettiauger with a white Bottom, her Inside painted red, and a blue Streak. As I purchased them lately in Dorset County, Maryland, I imagine they will endeavour to make for that Province. Whoever apprehends the said Slaves, and brings them to me at Milner`s Warehouse, or secures them so as I get them again, shall have THREE POUNDS Reward if taken in the Colony, and if out of it FIVE POUNDS.
ARCHIBALD BUCHANAN.

October 29 to Friday,November 5,1736,
RAN away Two Negro Men Slaves; One of them called Poplar, from my House in King William County, some Time in June last; He is a lusty well-set likely Fellow, of a middle Stature, upwards of 30 Years old, and talks pretty good English: The other called Planter, from my plantation in Roy`s Neck, in the County of King and Queen, about the Month of August following. He is a young Angola Negro, very black, and his Lips are remarkably red. He is supposed to be in Company with an old Negroe Fellow belonging to Col. Corbin, of a yellowish Hue, his Hair is like a Madagascar`s, and to be gone towards Spotsylvania. Whoever brings the said Negroes, or either of them to my House aforesaid, shall be paid a Pistole Reward for each: Or if already apprehended, any Person giving Notice thereof, so as they, or either of them, may be had again, shall be reasonably rewarded, by
Benjamin Needler. N.B. The Negroe Poplar is Outlaw`d.

SURRY County, July 26, 1771.
RUN away from the Subscriber`s Plantation in Pitt County, North Carolina, on the sixteenth of May last, a Negro Man named EMANUEL, a square made Fellow, of a yellowish Complexion, upwards of twenty Years of Age, speaks remarkably hoarse, and is supposed to be gone towards Williamsburg. He formerly belonged to Mr. Simon Holiar, of Elizabeth City. Whoever apprehends the said Runaway, and brings him to me, or secures him so that I get him again, shall have TWENTY SHILLINGS Reward.
CHARLES REEKS.

RUN away from the Subscriber, in Dinwiddie, a NEGRO MAN named Davie, about twenty six Years of Age, near six Feet high, and remarkable likely, but has a Scar under his right Eye. He was raised near Norfolk, to which Place, I presume, he will endeavour to go. Whoever apprehends said Negro shall receive FIVE POUNDS Reward.
JOSEPH HARPER, Senior. The Fellow is outlawed.

PRINCE GEORGE, August 27, 1771.
RUN away from the Subscriber, on Tuesday the 6th Instant, a NEGRO FELLOW, named FRANK, twenty seven Years of Age, five Feet five or six Inches high, of a yellow Complexion, has a Scar in his right Cheek, and the Sinews in one of his Hams seem to be drawn up in Knots. He has run away several Times, and always passed for a Freeman. As he may possibly try to get out of the Country, I hereby forewarn all Masters of Vessels from carrying out the said Slave, at their Peril. I imagine he is sculking about Indian Town on Pamunkey among the Indians, as in one of his former Trips he got himself a Wife amongst them.. Whoever brings the said Slave to me shall be handsomely rewarded.
DAVID SCOTT.

October 3, 1771
RUN away from the Plantations of Mr. Brett Randolph, in Cumberland County, on the 8th of this Instant (September) a Virginia born Negro named CHARLES, about five Feet five Inches high, of a yellowish Complexion, walks quick and upright, has lost an upper fore Tooth, from the right Side, a small Piece cut out of one Ear, and is much marked on the back with whipping. He ran away on the 1st of January last, and was committed to the Jail of Alexandria, out of which he escaped in June, afterwards to Frederick Jail for Felony, and was brought home on the 2d Instant. As I expect he will endeavour to pass for a Freeman, and attempt to get on Board a Vessel, all Masters are hereby forewarned from harbouring him. Whoever will deliver the said Negro to Mr. Charles Rice, on the aforesaid Plantation, or to me in Warwick, Chesterfield County, shall have FORTY SHILLINGS Reward, beside what the Law allows; and if taken out of the Colony, FIVE POUNDS. He is outlawed.
BERNARD MARKHAM.

Virginia Gazette
(Purdie & Dixon), Williamsburg ,
September 12, 1771.

Twenty Pounds Reward. RUN away from the Subscriber, near Petersburg, the 18th of last May, two new Negroes, namely, a FELLOW named Step, about six Feet high, has his Country Marks on his Temples, and has lost some of his fore Teeth. He appears to have a very honest Countenance, and is supposed to be about twenty Years of Age; he had with him, when he went away, a white Plains Waistcoat and Breeches, Osnabrug Shirt, and a tolerable good bound Hat. The other a GIRL named Lucy, supposed to be about twelve Years of Age, and had on a white Plains Petticoat and striped Virginia Cloth Waistcoat. Neither of them can speak good English, as they have not been long in the Country. They went off with several others, being persuaded that they could find the Way back to their own Country. They were discovered, about six Weeks after their going off, near Blanton`s Ferry, in Mecklenburg County, where the Gang was dispersed, and three of them taken, one of whom belonged to me. The said negroes are outlawed. FIVE POUNDS for each will be given if taken within this Colony, and TEN POUNDS for each if in any other.
GEORGE ROBERTSON.

October 17, 1771
RUN away, a Negro Fellow named Sampson, belonging to the Estate of William Lightfoot, Esquire, deceased. He is a tall black Fellow, of a serious Look, is in the Habit of common Plantation Negroes, and is supposed to be gone to Gloucester County, as he was bought from thence of the Estate of one Blackwell, late of that County. Also a Mulatto Fellow named HARRY, rather tall, has a very wild Look, a wide Mouth, generally wears his Beard very long, has a flattering Tongue, is clothed as is usual, and is supposed to have made to Sussex County.----Whoever will deliver either of the said Slaves to me, at Sandy Point, shall have a Reward of TWENTY SHILLINGS, besides what the Law allows.
JOHN PIERCE.

RUN away from the Subscriber, living in Caroline County, near Chesterfield, the 27th of August last, a short well made MULATTO FELLOW named James, about twenty four Years old, has long black Hair remarkable for curling, which he generally keeps nicely combed. He understands Something of the Carpenters and Blacksmiths Trades, and I expect he will endeavour to pass for a Freeman, as he is a cunning artful Fellow. Whoever will bring him, or secure him in any of his Majesty`s Jails, so that I get him again, shall have FORTY SHILLINGS Reward, and FIVE POUNDS if taken out ofthe Colony, more than what the Law allows.
RICHARD W. CHANDLER. I suppose he is lurking about Hobb`s Hole, or made off for Carolina.

October 3, 1771
RUN away from the Subscriber, on Saturday the 14th of last Month, a likely Negro Fellow named NED, about six Feet high, well made, between twenty five and twenty six Years of Age, has a Scar on the left Side of his Mouth, and stammers much when surprised. He had on the common Clothing of labouring Negroes, but it is probable may have carried off others with him. Whoever brings him to me at Osborne`s, in Chesterfield County, shall have TWENTY SHILLINGS Reward if taken in the said County, and FORTY SHILLINGS if taken in any other, and all reasonable Charges allowed.. The said Negro is outlawed.
JOHN FORSE.

KINGSMILL, October 17, 1771.
RUN away from my Plantation where JOHN JEFFRIES is Overseer, at the Forkof Roanoke in Mecklenburg County, a Negro Man named HARRY. He is a tall slim Fellow, and not very black, has been seen on the Road to Petersburg, with his Waggon Whip and a Bag, and pretended to be looking for some Horses he had lost. As he formerly belonged to Mrs. DICKE, and used to drive her Chair, it is not unlikely he may go into King & Queen, or Essex. Whoever will deliver him to me shall receive three Pounds, or to his Overseer five Pounds, for his Trouble.
LEWIS BURWELL.

April 28 to May 5, 1738
   RAN away on the 22d of February last, from Col. Richard Randolph`s Quarter, in Amelia County, Four Negroes, viz. Sancho, a tall lusty fellow, about 25 Years of Age, cloathed with a Manx Cloth Wastecoat, white Plains Breeches, died Yellow, Plad Hose, and Hobb-nailed Shoes. Warwick, a middle-siz`d Fellow, thin Face, small Eyes, and a sneaking Look, cloathed as the other. Bella, a lusty likely Woman. Phebe, a small Woman, with Marks in her Face, cloathed as the other. Whoever takes up and secures the said Negroes, so that their Owner above mention`d may have them again, shall have Five Pistoles Reward, besides what the Law allows.  

April 21, 1738.
RAN away about 3 Weeks ago, from Col. Lewis Burwell`s Plantation, near Williamsburg, a very Black Mundingo Negro Man, called Jumper, aged about 30, of a middle Stature, and well set; has a long Scar on the Back of one of his Hands, and is bow leg`d. He has been in the Country about 2 Years, but talks pretty good English. He had on, when he went away, a white Plains Jacket and Breeches, an Oznabrigs Shirt, a Felt Hat, a Linen Cap, border`d with Callicoe, Shoes and Stockings. Whoever brings the said Negro to Col. Burwell, at his House near Williamsburg, shall be well rewarded, in Proportion to his Trouble, besides what the Law allows, by
Lewis Burwell.

From June 3 to June 10,1737,
RAN away from Major John Bolling, of Henrico County, on Sunday the 15th of May last, Two new Negro Men, one named Sampson, a large black Fellow, the other nam`d Bowzar, somewhat smaller, of a Yellowish Complexion, and a Scar across the End of his Nose: They were cloath`d in White Plains. Whoever brings them to their Master, aforesaid, or give Notice of them so as they may be had again, shall be handsomely rewarded.

more of these ads can be found by searching "Runaway Slave Ads" on Google.com.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: