Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 90 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  World Population Growth Falling
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: World Population Growth Falling  (Read 13608 times)
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« on: March 24, 2004, 07:16:22 AM »

World population growth 'falling'

The growth rate of the world population has slowed down, according to the US Census Bureau.
Its report says there were 74 million more people in 2002 - well below the 87 million added in 1989-90.

The rate of growth peaked 40 years ago, when it stood at about 2.2% a year. The bureau partly attributes the drop to women having fewer children.

It also projects a population decline in Africa because of the lower life expectancy due to HIV-Aids.

In 1990 women around the world gave birth to 3.3 children on average, the report says.

By 2002, the average had dropped to 2.6 children - slightly above the level needed to assure replacement of the population.

The bureau's projections show the level of fertility for the world as a whole descending below replacement level by 2050.

It forecasts there will be nearly 9.1bn people by 2050, just under a 50% increase from the 6.2bn in 2002.

Dying young

The report suggests that the proportion of people over the age of 65 will continue to increase - from 7% to 17% by 2050.

The projections also indicate that by 2010, some African countries will experience falls in life expectancy at birth to about 30 years - a level not seen since the early 20th Century.

Much of this trend is likely to result from Aids, the report says.

It adds the trend could reverse if Aids education programmes are expanded in developing nations.

It points to positive signs in Thailand, Senegal and Uganda, where the epidemic appears to have been stemmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3560433.stm

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 02:31:56 PM »

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns9999687

How could the G7 benefit from reduced population in resource rich areas?

Poetic_Princess

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 07:01:35 PM »

Benefit to G7 guess meaning more cash flow but It would be a benefit to some areas in such state,since more attention and drugs would be cheaper to give and care would be giving to those persons living in those communtities.I guess all that can be possible once they have the money and pledge it.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 07:30:06 AM »

Where did AIDS come from?

Benefit to G7 guess meaning more cash flow but It would be a benefit to some areas in such state,since more attention and drugs would be cheaper to give and care would be giving to those persons living in those communtities.I guess all that can be possible once they have the money and pledge it.

Poetic_Princess

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 10:03:28 AM »

Firstly they are 2 theories of where aids came from
1. it came fromm the monkeys and chimpanzees. Here is the Theory "a chimpanzee killed and consumed two monkeys -- a red-capped mangabey and a greater spot-nosed monkey -- each infected with its own particular strain of SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus). Both viruses got into the chimp's bloodstream, probably through an open wound.'And the link of monkey to man was that as it spread through out the monkey species 'The prevailing theory then continues about how the first humans got AIDS is that about 75 years ago, someone in central Africa cut himself while butchering a chimpanzee for food. The animal was infected with SIV, which after a few adaptive mutations evolved into human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in its new host.That theory  has been cut to fit the harsh reality of HIV/AIDS infection across the continent of Africa.
In Botswana, which has the highest rate of infection in the world, 35.8 per cent of the adult population is infected. Swaziland is 25.3 per cent, Zimbabwe is 25.1 per cent, Lesotho is 23.6 per cent, Zambia, Namibia and South Africa both have 20 per cent infection rates.

And 2. The most believable theory is that it is Man Made disease made in a laboratory at Fort Detrick, Maryland from smallpox and hepatitis B vaccines. It is now certain that the World Health Organisation introduced the vaccine that contaminated east and central Africa with the AIDS virus.'

Besides all the info Iyah is there a point your trying to tell me be asking me where Aids came from?

iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 10:26:06 AM »

Thanks for adding a little information to this thread so those looking at it can have some background.

My point is, G7 countries who have a vested interest in resource rich land in Africa have a reason to be happy with the kind of statistics the UN has presented.
Poetic_Princess

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 10:19:16 PM »

Much Blessings Iyah and thanks for pointing that out to me, I never looked at it from that angle really,

Much Blessings

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: