Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:45:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 66 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Reparations
| | |-+  What is the best way to promote reparations.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What is the best way to promote reparations.  (Read 14937 times)
Ras Mandingo

« on: April 16, 2004, 01:56:43 PM »

Now in Brazil, there's a big discussion going on regarding a recent federal law that creates quotes for african descendents in universities and in public jobs.

Some people say this just creates more segregation and that reinforces prejudice creating different treatment for different people.

It's obvious that reparations are a synomim of justice and that educating people is the main step for self-independence.

I know this experience already took place in the US.

How to ones see this kind of policy?

Please share...

In solidarity,

Mandingo.

Haile,
Wisdom, Knowledge, Strenght & Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 03:34:41 PM »

Now in Brazil, there's a big discussion going on regarding a recent federal law that creates quotes for african descendents in universities and in public jobs.

Some people say this just creates more segregation and that reinforces prejudice creating different treatment for different people.

It's obvious that reparations are a synomim of justice and that educating people is the main step for self-independence.

I know this experience already took place in the US.

How to ones see this kind of policy?

Please share...

In solidarity,

Mandingo.

Actually reparations isn't what you are talking about. What you are reffering to in Brazil is the equivalent to affirmative action here(which is largely being repealed now).

It doesn't cause more divide. That's just a copout/excuse used by the people who are currently benefitting from their inherited White/Puertoguese and elite privalledge. They are scared if the hiring and admission policies will be forced to change(from their current racist and classist standards) that they will loose some of their "benefets"...which would only be fair. WHat's interesting is these same people seem to be fine with the status quo in Brazil(and elsewhere) as if people of African descent shouldn't get their fair share...But that is the nature of the beast i guess.

The main advise I have for you the people of Brazil is to have mass organization. That is the only way to get anything done. If the masses don't act as a unified force, the status quo will remain. Capitalist elite don't give money(that they owe) or share resources(that actually beong to the people anyway) out of the "goodness of their hearts"...They have to be forced to do so by a show of force. Then they will try to paciffy the people. It is the nature of power to only back down in the face of more power.

Really the entire capitalist system needs to be gutted....but that's a wholly different subject.

Forward to a united Africa!
Ras Mandingo

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 02:13:17 PM »

Give thanks for the replu Oshun_Auset.

May I ask why afirmative actions are beeing largelly repealed now in the US. And you are right about the nomination (and not reparations as I have said previoulsy).

It happened a case in brasilia last week of someone that didn't look black at all trying to enrol as a black person saying that "there are hundreds of different blacks around" and now people are taking pictures of the candidates and they stabilished a court in the university do decide who is black or not. How do you see this?

Also there are people quastioning if this quotes should benefit a rich black isntead of a poor white for example and if this quotes shoudn't be directed to poor people who comes from public schools only (which are terrible in brasil).

Moreover, a lot of people say that the rpoblem is more economical then racial. however, majority of poors are black descendents (mixed or not).

To end, I would like to ask how people see this quotes in relation to the idea of reparations (which is what people mention they are for). Some people is just a way of trying to give a paliative solution to a bigger problem and not facing it's roots which is where the solution must be.

Give thanks for sharing,

In solidarity,

Mandingo.

Haile,
seshatasefekht7
AfricaSpeaks Member

RastafariSpeaks

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 09:07:09 PM »

The main advise I have for you the people of Brazil is to have mass organization. That is the only way to get anything done. If the masses don't act as a unified force, the status quo will remain.  

oshun_auset, now that is oau/oaau. now that is dangerous. now that is logical. now let's do it here in amorica.

i will be free soon...... Lips Sealed 2

freedomisahapislave  Two Thumbs
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 04:52:37 PM »

oshun_auset, now that is oau/oaau. now that is dangerous. now that is logical. now let's do it here in amorica.

i will be free soon...... Lips Sealed 2

freedomisahapislave  Two Thumbs

How about let's do it globally!?
I am a Pan-Africanist Activist organizer with the All African Peoples Revolutionary Party...join us, or form a political alliance with us via your group...we have chapters all over the world...or join any progressive Pan-African group...We need the masses.
Until Africa is liberated, the African personality will not be able to flourish globally(that means it affects us here in the U.S. too) Until Capitalism is overthrown all of humanity will continue to be exploited and oppressed by the elite few. We need a strong home base. And it does all start with grass roots organization. I'm with you seshatasefekht7...

Ras Mandingo,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you...There is another thread on this subject that you may find useful...

http://www.africaspeaks.com/reasoning/?board=general;action=display;num=1082993780

Forward to a united Africa!
Ras Mandingo

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 01:17:32 PM »

Oshun_auset,

Give thanks for the reply and for the link to the other reasoning.

will come back later with impressions to share.

The best student can become the best teacher.

In solidarity,

Mandingo.

Haile,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: