Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 75 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  WORLD HOT SPOTS
| |-+  Media Watch (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Report: Disney Blocking Anti-Bush Documentary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Report: Disney Blocking Anti-Bush Documentary  (Read 23847 times)
Yann

Ayanna's Roots

« on: May 05, 2004, 10:40:14 AM »

Report: Disney Blocking Anti-Bush Documentary

LOS ANGELES (Reuters)

Oscar-winning filmmaker Michael Moore's documentary linking President Bush with powerful Saudi families, including that of Osama bin Laden, is stirring up controversy even before its release.

Reuters Photo

That's if it even gets released.

Hollywood trade paper Daily Variety said in its Wednesday edition that Walt Disney Co. has moved to prevent its Miramax Films unit from distributing "Fahrenheit 911."

The Disney edict could herald the bloodiest political battle yet between Miramax's feisty co-chairman Harvey Weinstein and Disney CEO Michael Eisner, who oversaw the purchase of Miramax a decade ago, Daily Variety said.

"Fahrenheit 911," Moore's follow-up to his Academy Award-winning film "Bowling for Columbine, will still premiere in competition at the Cannes Film Festival (news - web sites) in France later this month. Rumors had been circulating of a July release date in North America, but the film does not appear on Miramax's summer schedule, the paper said.

It quoted a Miramax spokesman as saying that the company was "looking forward to resolving this amicably."

Officials from Miramax and Disney were not immediately available for comment on the report.

story.news.yahoo.com/news
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 11:29:31 AM »

I'm glad this is being exposed to the public FINALLY. Now we will soon be seeing f it actually bothers people. SOunds like this country is the one that needs a "regime change" And this is supposed to be a democracy? Huh
Give me a break!

Forward to a united Africa!
Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 12:34:21 PM »

I met Michael Moore in a trip to Washington DC this march. I was with several other young people, and i noticed that some of them (who were representing conservative US states) did not even want to talk to Moore. They seemed to be jaded by the media that this person was a "evil liberal" and not a good person. I of course talked to him, and found that he has intelligent things to seh.
I seh this: Let the truth be told! Not some of the truth, not part of the truth, all of it. from all sides.

InI I hang on in there....InI I no leggo!!!! (So JAH Seh)
emmanuel

Roots

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 12:53:46 PM »

Revelation: 17:5.....MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT,
THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH......
Revelation: 14:8....

" FOR THE TRUTH SHALL SPRING OUT OF THE EARTH
 AND MAN WILL KNOW WHAT LIFE IS WORTH. "

Black to Black in Unity
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 01:06:17 PM »

I met Michael Moore in a trip to Washington DC this march. I was with several other young people, and i noticed that some of them (who were representing conservative US states) did not even want to talk to Moore. They seemed to be jaded by the media that this person was a "evil liberal" and not a good person. I of course talked to him, and found that he has intelligent things to seh.
I seh this: Let the truth be told! Not some of the truth, not part of the truth, all of it. from all sides.

The C.I.A.  is intelligent as well, but that don't mean I want to have anything to do with them.
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 06:56:17 PM »

In offering up this piece, let me say that I find Michael Moore to be well-intended but shallow. However, I applaud his efforts to show up aspects of the corrupt American society including George Bush.

- Ayinde

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liberal Media?

by Kurt Nimmo

I always get a hoot out of right-wingers who insist that the media is liberal, especially those who claim Hollywood is a bastion of liberalism. In fact, the media is very reactionary. For instance:

"The Walt Disney Company is blocking its Miramax division from distributing a new documentary by Michael Moore that harshly criticizes President Bush, executives at both Disney and Miramax said Tuesday," writes the New York Times. "The film, 'Fahrenheit 911,' links Mr. Bush and prominent Saudis -- including the family of Osama bin Laden -- and criticizes Mr. Bush's actions before and after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks."

So much for capitalism. Moore is a popular filmmaker and author. No doubt his movie would pull down big bucks. But then when it comes to sucking up to Bush, the media, including Hollywood, knows no bounds.

It's a well know fact the Bush family has financial dealings with the medieval Saudis. In fact, George has closer ties to the bin Laden family than 99.99999999% of all Americans, including Jose Padilla.

"President Bush and the bin Laden family have been connected through dubious business deals since 1977, when Salem, the head of the bin Laden family business, one of the biggest construction companies in the world, invested in Bush's start-up oil company, Arbusto Energy, Inc.," writes Roger Miller. "James R. Bath, a friend and neighbor, was used to funnel money from Osama bin Laden's brother, Salem bin Laden, to set up George W. Bush in the oil business, according to The Wall Street Journal and other reputable sources."

Note the source here -- the War Street, er Wall Street Journal, not the Conspiracy Times.

So, it would seem, Disney is not worried about libel stemming from some wild conspiracy theory... they are simply protecting Bush from the truth. I mean, this stuff is just too truthful, and thus harmful, especially as the election approaches. It needs to be buried and that's what Disney is doing. I bet Karl Rove didn't even need to call Disney and lower the boom.

Disney's decision to block distribution of Moore's film is serious business. "Disney is the closest challenger to Time Warner for the status of world's largest media firm," notes Liberal Slant. "In the early 1990s, Disney successfully shifted its emphasis from its theme parks and resorts to its film and television divisions. In 1995, Disney made the move from being a dominant global content producer to being a fully integrated media giant with the purchase of Capital Cities/ABC for $19 billion, one of the biggest acquisitions in business history." Disney owns several major film, video and television production studios including Disney, Miramax and Buena Vista.

Of course, there are other film distributors, but that's not the point -- the point is that Disney went the extra mile to block Moore's film and in the process denied itself millions of dollars in revenue.

Liberal media? Don't make me laugh.  

http://kurtnimmo.com/
Yann

Ayanna's Roots

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 09:53:52 AM »

Moore pressured not to make 9/11 film

By Paul Majendie

CANNES, France (Reuters) - U.S. filmmaker Michael Moore says there was pressure from the beginning to stop him making his controversial documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11".

The film focuses on how Americans and the White House responded to the September 11 attacks and traces links between the Bush family and prominent Saudis, including the family of Osama bin Laden.

The documentary, being screened at the Cannes film festival on Monday, has also sparked a war of words over the decision by the Walt Disney to bar its Miramax film unit from releasing it.

Moore said: "From the beginning, this movie -- there's been this pressure -- to try to stop it so it doesn't get made. Now that it's made, to stop it so it doesn't get distributed."

"You will see things in this film that you haven't seen before," Moore promised at a press conference on Sunday hosted by the trade paper Variety.

"You will learn things you have not learned before," he said. "Half of this movie is about Iraq. We have footage because I have been able to sneak crews into Iraq. I was able to get crew embedded with the U.S. military without them knowing it is Michael Moore shooting."

Moore said that after the September 11 attacks the Bush administration "approved private charter flights to fly around the country to pick up the bin Ladens" -- who he said were then allowed to fly to Paris without serious interrogation.

This is Moore's second appearance at the Cannes film festival.

"Bowling for Columbine," his tirade against the gun lobby in the United States, sparked controversy but then won a special prize from the jury. It went on to gross $120 million (68 million pounds) worldwide and was awarded a Hollywood Oscar.

The wrangling over his latest documentary and the allegations he makes in it have already given the film hefty pre-release publicity.

The film's title is a play on words about the September 11 attacks and Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's science fiction novel about censorship.

Moore said: "I have a horrible feeling this is the last day of the rest of my life just because I screened it a couple of times in the Midwest because I wanted to see how it would play out where I come from.

"The reaction was overwhelming in a way that I didn't ever expect and the people that were on the fence --- independents, undecided voters suddenly weren't on the fence."

"George W. Bush has to be removed from office," he said.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040517/325/etql9.html

iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 09:58:02 AM »

Get rid of Bush with his shady connections for what? someone else with just as many?
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »

Get rid of Bush with his shady connections for what? someone else with just as many?

You are right. We have to get rid of the system.

Forward to a united Africa!
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 09:02:50 AM »

This movie is nothing more than a thing to make the sceptics feel better about themselves. If this was really really getting into the heart of the matter - not one corporate media entity would touch it - and why? - because the whole system is run in the shadowy realm of private and secret connections - and ALL ARE GUILTY.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: