Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 90 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Relationships and Gender Issues (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Is a woman only worth her children?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Is a woman only worth her children?  (Read 42402 times)
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« on: June 16, 2004, 09:46:38 PM »

This article I found while roaming around on the net in the news sector and wonders what is everyone intake on this both males and females.

Is this all of a woman worth?

In Somalia, a hospital in the capital Mogadishu was forced to shut for five weeks following threats to a doctor who removed a woman's womb.

Dr Bashir Sheikh said the operation had saved Mrs Fatuma Abdulle's life because she was carrying a dead foetus.

Fatuma's family sent gunmen to the SOS hospital, saying she was as good as dead, without a womb.

The family demanded 50 camels from the doctor - the traditional Somali compensation offered for the death of a woman.

Is a woman only worth the children she bears?

To what extent would you go - as a man or a woman - to get a baby?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3774827.stm

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Empress_Zauditu_Ariel-YAH

Roots

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 10:39:01 PM »

Greetings,
Poetic,
I am sure that a lot of men will not even touch on this subject, as many (not all) of them would not even think of devoting themsleves to a woman who could not bear them children.  Well, not without a woman on the side who could bear them at least one child (preferably a male).  Even in Ras tradition woman is written as "womban" so if you take the womb out what are you left with? Less than a person.
As of now I guess I am worth nothing then because I have no children.
Misgana!

All Lion & King -- walk tall, stand firm
All Lioness & Empress -- be sweet in spirit, humble, gentle and wise  
All -- know thyself and your divine position in creation.
Misgana always & YAH Bless

Roots

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 08:46:41 AM »

Greetings,
a new day and a new point of view to add.  WOMBAn is also spelled WOMBMAN, so I guess if you take away the womb, you have either less than a person (womban - womb = an), or a man (wombman - womb = man).  Either way, I guess we would not be needed or desired without our womb.
Hmmmmm,
so sad that some whould feel this way
MISGANA anyhow!

Poetic_Princess

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 12:36:09 PM »

Blessings Empress

All women are worth alot,but in somalia this doesn't seem to be the case as in this article, because honestly a king cannot be fully happy without a queen at his side and sistren there are some kings out there who are understanding to empresses who cannot bring forth youts. You are worth much more than you think empress you shouldn't think you worth nothing cause you have no kids as yet, You are worthy and priceless sistren remeber that.

Blessings and hotep

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.

Roots

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 01:31:11 PM »

Greetings Poetic,
I am smiling at your reply!  Blessed love unto you!  However, I was just being sarcastic when I said that about my worth, for I do not define my worth or my self by man's standards but by that of the ALMIGHTY only.  And I am also well aware of the many kings who do accept Empressess and Lionesses that cannot bring forth their seeds.  Blessings be unto them as well, fo rthier wisdoma nd compassion!  I guess the purpose of my post was to signifiy that almost in all walks of life
(even so in the spirituality of some Rases who to me should be tradding as examples for humanity to follow) men are still thinking of women as their "baby making a machines" .  Unfortunetly, in places such as Somalia, even Ethiopia, and the Middle East, it is a rule of thumb, where dishonor is not only brought to the woman who cannot bare children, but to her whole family and her ancestors.  I don't quite understand it myself, but MISGANA fo rthe Kings who hold us Lionesses higher than that

Roots

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 01:39:04 PM »

sorry for the mix-up

preach

Roots

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 07:40:18 PM »

Peace. The worth of a woman should not be determined by her ability to bear children. Her worth is immeasurable. Poetic Princess said there are some kings who are very understanding of empresses who can not bring forth youth, or have yet to have children. I do believe there is nothing wrong with severing a relationship when the parties involved have different views on child rearing if it will cause extreme conflict. If one party wants to have kids and the other doesn't, how can they compromise?

love
Poetic_Princess

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 07:52:08 PM »

Blessings Empress,it is ok about the mix up, Much blessings on to you, I honestly dont understand why women are labelled such"baby making machines" by some men, i wonder what gives them the idea and right to belive that is all we are worthy off in their eyes.
To answer your question preach honestly both parties need to sit down and come to one agreement on their choice on having youts or not, and both parties should be happy and overjoyed at the end of their decision making what ever they choice maybe, but each party must let each other know how they feel deeply on having kids or not having kids,because if you dont one of you would always be disappointed when this issue comes around from time to time, remember 2 people are in the relationship and you both must voice your own innerfeelings and emotions regarding this matter.

Much Blessings and hotep

jemba

YENGE BANTU

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 09:11:58 PM »

These poor people are looking after their own interests not the woman’s, poverty make people do the sickest things. In the Islamic culture the woman is not even allowed to speak when men are around, so it would be normal for this kind of barbaric reactions. A woman only looses her ability to give birth because of the western ways of living. So if she can’t give birth because of the medicines and the things that we eat and or put into our selves from the westerners. I would suggest she tries afrikan herbal medicine.

Think Clear BE Clear>>>>Always Analyze never Dismiss We all are here to learn>>>>> this earth is a BIG class Room

Roots

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 09:29:31 PM »

Greetings,
I agree with the herbal thing jemba, but I do no think that western way of living is the only thing that would cause a woman to not bear children.  Since the days of old some women were not able to conceive and to me it is te ALMIGHTY's ultimate choice.  No matter how bad one woman may want to conceive, if HE does not want her to, if that is not in HIS plans or purpose for her (or if it is punishment for sin), then she will not bear children.

And I think that their should be no relationship to sever if the couple have different desires regarding children.  That is, communication should be key in a relationship from the beginning, and if you are not into idle relationships, then this matter should be disgusted early on enough so that if the two people find that they have different desires regardign children, then they should be able to depart in peace and with blessings!!  However, don;t tell me you love me, but then want to leave if I cannot give you a child that you so deeply desire!  Then you did not love me to begin with because part of me is that I cannot or do not want to have children.  What you loved was the woman you thought I could be to you --- not the real one.  Also, according to the characteristics of love given in the WORD, it is not conditional.
MISGANA!

jemba

YENGE BANTU

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 05:49:23 AM »

Love from what point of view???
You are right some women don’t give birth because it was desired by nature, that they could not. If you believe in reincarnation, then you would obviously be against abortion? Many women have to bear that pain to understand what they did in the past with their potential to create a spirit was not natural, but as soon as they understand why they can’t give birth, mother earth who is a mother herself. Can always change things around and a woman is more in tune with the earth then man are. Most of the woman in the old days knew this, so they would go to the high priest or medicine man and he or she would explain to them why. Nothing is impossible for human beings in this realm we suppose to be god’s highest form of creation. But we just sank from gods to human to man then to beasts, know we want to become machines.

Think Clear BE Clear>>>>Always Analyze never Dismiss We all are here to learn>>>>> this earth is a BIG class Room

Roots

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 08:01:37 AM »

Greetings,
jemba you ask love from what point of view.  Ok, I just cannot see how a man that I have chosen to share my life with him and him with I, can say that he loves me; but as soon as I cannot have children, him up and leave. HuhHuh?  And after he leaves for that, am I supposed to still believe that he loves me?  I guess I would if I beak down the word believe into
be-lie-ve.
MISGANA!

jemba

YENGE BANTU

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 08:12:39 AM »

So what if your man asked you for permission to take a second wife or junior mum, as they call second wife’s in our tradition.

Roots

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 08:25:20 AM »

Greetings,
I must say that you have caught my attentionon a number of topics jemba.  I am smiling as I type because I should be getting ready to go to class, but am sitting here typing on this forum.   Anxious
Anyhow, I am also smiling because even though I am well aware that some cultures do take more than one wife (and there are afew that even take more than one husband) and all I can say is that honestly and truly, I would not do well in that culture.  If he did ask me that, I would look at him sideways (like he has lost his mind), then ask if I could take a second husband.   Cheesy Beam
I try to be as open minded as possible, but I can admit that I am not that open minded.  Ok seriously now, I woould not like it and since I would be unhappy, it would be best for me not to be in the situation.

MISGANA!

jemba

YENGE BANTU

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »

Then that is the kind of love you are speaking about. You see the word love from a European point of view.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: