Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 90 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Relationships and Gender Issues (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Is a woman only worth her children?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Is a woman only worth her children?  (Read 42404 times)
Empress_Zauditu_Ariel-YAH

Roots

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 12:03:05 AM »

Greetings,
jemba, so I cannot have a second husband then???  Disappointed

In all seriousness, I do  not think that I see it from a European point of view, just from a spiritual point of view.  I believe that one man, joined with one woman, through the Almighty.  Thus, as I believe HIM to be a triune being (Father Son, and Spirit), we are also elivated to that status...just one of the step we take to being godlike.  The foundations of the Bible ( my sacred text) did not begin with the Jews, Christianity, or European's interpretation of it.... so if my definition or guidliness for defining the characteristics of love are from it, then they are not European but from whom I believe to be the ULTIMATE DIVINE.
Like I said before, I respect other cultures and beliefs, but their practices may not be for me.  Now, if I was part of your culture then I would view things as you do, but I am not of it.... so I have to go the road that the DIVINE has chosen for me.  It is not what you refer to as European because from what I know and have observed, "European love" (if there is really such a thing..... I am asuming you mean love how generalized western society sees it) is built on lust, lies, and manipulation.  I despise those ways!
And getting back to the topic at hand, it is not a western, eastern, or African thing; women have been and continue to be oppressed and subjected to cruelty in all walks of life.....in the name of YAH (or the powers that be) and even in the name of "love".  No one can tell me that such an act as mutilating my genitalia will please the Almighty (who made that area a part of me in the first place) so it must be done etc...  A bit more graphic than I wanted to go, but it is a good example.  I am not afraid to speak out that the badness goes on all around us and no man can tell me different, because I am a woman, and I have both experienced the bad treatment and have heard the stories and cries of my sistren whom hail from across the globe of all faiths, races, and creeds.
MISGANA!

All Lion & King -- walk tall, stand firm
All Lioness & Empress -- be sweet in spirit, humble, gentle and wise  
All -- know thyself and your divine position in creation.
Misgana always & YAH Bless
jemba

YENGE BANTU

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 08:59:56 AM »

HOTEP SISTER

In afrika it would be nearly impossible to find a man who is in a monogamous relationship. Even I am a son with many brothers and sisters and I don’t call them half brothers and sister. You can ask anyone from the kongos or from any other afrikan country if they father has another wife or child inside not outside the family, like Europeans would say. I don’t expect everyone to understand this, because of what the Europeans tell us marriage is about, the interest of only two people and their house and their children. In Africa it was more of a social living, marriage was to build the society and help the community to flourish. Mother and father where not the only ones who took care of the children. It was more like your son or daughter is ours, not yours and the whole community or society will be strict with the child when they need to be and they will love that child as much as the father and mother dose. A women is who we trace our lineage from nether the father. Marriage was never about the interests of two individual, that’s why you could send you son or daughter to school and they would be taught with as much love and discipline their own mother or father would. The father really never took much participation in the child’s, only until the child reached a certain cage, then the father, mother and the community would be involved with educating the child. Until the European came in with their selfish back stubbing ways, they made as practice monogamy, change our heritage by giving as Christian names and erasing over millions of years of heritage. Know if a black woman has a relationship with a black man and that man has children from his previous relationship she won’t even let them in the house. Go into the scriptures and tell me how many man not woman, who had more then one wife? We taught the jews or Hebrews this way of life, we also taught them how to bury their dead how to brush their teeth and how to bath.  

Think Clear BE Clear>>>>Always Analyze never Dismiss We all are here to learn>>>>> this earth is a BIG class Room

Roots

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 01:04:51 PM »

Greetings,
jemba, I understand why many Afrikan countries operate the way that they do with the community raising the child and everyone living in peace and love.  I actually do admire their sense of community, but I must say that you sound very bitter towards the rest of the world (namely Europeans).  Forgive me if I am wrong.......it is just that I have come to a point in my spiritual walk where I feel it my duty and my desire to trod in love... no matter how hard at times it may be or what or who comes against me.
And I also am aware that many men in the scriptures did have multiple wives...but I do not live my life based on their ways, rather based on how YAH leads me.  
Question?  What are your views on a wife having more than one husband?  Is it acceptable?  Why or why not?
MISGANA!  and Bless jemba for you keep things on this forum interesting

Roots

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 01:06:13 PM »

ps jemba, can you really speak for all of Afrika as you do in your above post?
Bless once more!

jemba

YENGE BANTU

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 02:06:35 PM »

HOTEP SISTER

There is no bitterness in me at all and I don’t have any bitterness towards Europeans which includes America. What is done is done, but if they wanted to conquer afrika and enslave Nubians tomorrow, they could do it ten thousand times and over, and who knows if they will or not?

If you know any brothers or sisters from afrika you can ask them if they are from a monogamist family.

The genealogy of a generation is traced from the woman.

Bless sister

Think Clear BE Clear>>>>Always Analyze never Dismiss We all are here to learn>>>>> this earth is a BIG class Room

Roots

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 06:44:22 PM »

Greetings,
jemba....I stand corrected on the topic of your bitterness then........But also what you say is true, if they wanted to enslave our people again then they very well do have the power; but why do it when they already have control over and have milked the valuable lands (that they know of or that they see as valuable for all of Mamma Earth is valuable)..... plus they are so much involved with the diseases and evils that are going on in Afrika that they do not need to out right invade and enslave.......
Oh and I am friends with many Afrikans, and most of them do come from monogamous families.  Most are from West Afrika but even a few hail from East and North Afrika....ie Sudan, Kemit, Ethiopia, Tanzania....  I have only met a few that do not.
Bless and MISGANA!

Roots

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2005, 01:49:04 AM »

Greetings,
Have all of deh I dem heard about the manhunt in Atlanta, Georgia, USA?  
Well, if you have been following it then you know that the suspect is a black male, 33 years old who has escaped from the courthouse.  He shot the judge and some other guards and now is out there somehwere.  He allegedly raped his ex-girlfriend. That is the basic rundown and there are a lot of questions that can be asked with regards to how the police are handling the situation.  But I will restrict myself to only bring up one question that is in line with the initial post's topic.  Ok, the head judge that he shot an killed is being promoted by the media to be a fair and just judge and "friend".  They claim that under him, the suspect would have gotten a fair trial.  Ok, if he is soooooo fair, then how come when he once had a young woman (black; mother of seven children) in his courtroom who pled guilty for beating her newborn baby to death, this same "fair" judge let her go without prison or jail time under one condition.......unnu read for this one??!!!!  The condition was that she be sterilized!!!!!!  I have nothing more to say about it right now because I am so angry, Very Angry and I don't want to curse or to type anything out of line or character.
MISGANA!

jemba

YENGE BANTU

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2005, 07:49:00 AM »

Don’t you think some females don’t even deserve to have that ability to give birth Empress_Zauditu_Ariel-YAH

Yann

Ayanna's Roots

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2005, 11:06:12 AM »

Having read the article, I think there maybe many sides or perspectives missing from it. I think maybe ones need also to see this from a traditional Afrikan perspective. If this society was traditional agrarian-based one (which was not specified in the article) then indeed I could see how the female’s family would have seen her ‘as good as dead’ if she could not bear children. I am not saying that they were completely right, however in traditional societies children are wealth, labour, social security, health insurance and workforce all in one, not just little playthings or loved ones. Children continue building the village and are indeed the basis of the wealth of the family and village.

In a Western context we can say that they undervalue the female because of her inability to bear children, as they are not seeing the whole person or her worth other than as a ‘baby machine’. But in many ways this is because in western ‘modern’ culture work, wealth and survival are not seen as being dependent on children. We see in industrial and technology based ‘wealthy’ countries the focus for many years was on reducing the rate of childbirth and the high birth rates in so-called developing countries was seen as a liability to development and wealth. So in many ways it is a matter of not just culture but modes of production. A female who cannot bear, in a tradition society, may be a liability to her family as it may be harder for her to find a mate as a male will want children to carry on the family legacy and build the wealth and longevity of his compound and the female’s compound as well.

Anyway this is just another perspective I am adding. I see others added similar perspectives in the comments section under the article. I am not saying that I am in agreement or that I think that ALL traditional societies saw the role of females as only one of physical childbirth. Some certainly did see the regenerative and creative element of the female principle to be more expansive then that. It is always good however to analyze the different cultural perspectives of the information especially when the news source is a European one and such a highly biased one as the BBC.

Yan

Roots

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2005, 06:27:18 PM »

Greetings,
I Empress am truly disturbed by what I am reading here.  I really do not know who to respond to first.  Indeed I intitially made up my mind not to respond at all, but my conscience would not let me for some impressionable young woman seeking to find herself or her place in this world may come across this discussion and actually believe what is being written here.
Since order is already established and should be maintained in the forum, I will respond to jemba first.  Ummmmm Do I think that some women should not have the right to bear children.  First of all, that is not the point to the post I wrote!  The point is that some white judge made the decision to wave the "exceptable" means of punishment for her crime ( acceptable by their own society, and since their judicial system is of that society then it should be held in some esteem) anyway he waved that punishment to say that "oh well as long as you agree to be steralized then you can go free"  Forget the fact that you killed an innocent life, it was worth nothing, as long as you bring forth no more into this world.  You and your other six children can just go about tyour business, I don't care.  Forget also the point that the woman may be faced with life's stressors of poverty and everything else, and that she may also suffer from a mental illness.....the judge basically dismissed al of that and just thought that the ase would be best solved if she goes and gets "fixed" like she is some common dog that has no sense of how to keep her legs closed and thus is over populating the earth with subsequent dilenquent dogs.  However, I will answer your question, it is not up to me, nor you, nor any man or woman to decide who should and should not be "blessed" or priveledged enough to have children.
Now on to YAN.  Ok I see the line of you reasoning but in addition to what I have typed in response to jemba's post, there is an additional factor that you did not address.  If this Afrikan society is going to see their children as a means of production, then that society is in a sad state to have to depend upon the children for such purposes.  Therefore, chances are, as in many Afrikan societies that have been robbed of their prime members and citizens due to slavery and colonialization, chances are that the society is poverty stricken to some degree and are not solving the problem by having children be cause the children are not being adequately educated, nourished, or given proper health care to ensure the production and progression of that society through the generations.  Simply having a certain quota ( number) of children for the future generation is not enough if you cannot or do not provide the basic building blocks for them.  Jemba you should appreciate that since you  stated that you believe that we have to act within the western (European) ways of life in order to elivate ourselves.  That means, tribal communities cannot advance without education and proper health care at the very least.  Furhtermore, I just came from a post slavery perspective of having to replenish Mamma Afrikan of her vital human resources and wealth, however, it cannot be ignored that this view of women did not come about as aresult of slavery.  That is to say that, they were not seen as being valuable based upon the number of children (specificically male children) only after slavery, but have been seen that way even when societies thought themsleves to be the richest on Earth.  For these societies, the slavery debate would be void.  I do not care who says it, I am worth more than just the amount of children I can give.  Men talk all the time abou thow important it is for a whole village to raise a child, well guess what, even I could bear none, I am worth mor ethan being a burden to the family or worth more than being dead because there is some woman out there who has too many children to bring up....and, as part of the village, I could be of help to her.  Or there is some woman who may be too sick to care for her child at the moment, that I could help, or educate, or there is some child's life out there that I could make a positive impact on, who maybe otherwise could not have gotten.  So, therefore, without opening my legs to bring forth a child for my husband (who I do believe has selfish reasons for taking pride in having a seed , who is once again preferably a male)  I have added to the production and advancement of my people and village.
MISGANA and BLESS!

jemba

YENGE BANTU

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2005, 02:53:23 AM »

Hotep sister

Nobody should be able to decide if a woman can give birth or not but nature.
A man will always give birth no matter what the circumstances because that is what he is told to do before coming to earth. A woman is just more than how many children she can give birth to because she is a teacher and mother of nations, that is why the black race is poor, the first education the spirit gets is in the womb you are what you eat spiritually and physically and the second education is outside of the womb which is also the responsibility of the mother today. Everybody listens to their mother more then their father.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: