Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:31:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 90 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  6 Holy Pilgrimages for Afrocentric People
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 6 Holy Pilgrimages for Afrocentric People  (Read 13183 times)
OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« on: June 25, 2004, 09:55:25 AM »

-Palmares, Brazil - site of city of self-freed africans that existed for 100 years amidst brazilian slavery. governed by Zumbi, who protected african, native americans and poor whites. (1800s)

-Oke-Tase, Ile-Ife, Nigeria - home to oldest standing african temple. priests here sought out by the founders of several religions including taoism, egyptian, hinduism, islam and other major religions.

-Nana Akonnedi Shrine of Larteh, Ghana first ghanian priests to accept invite to West and share Akan religion w/ African-Americans. before then only enslaved Akan priests had come here. (60s)

-Oyotunji Village, South Caroline, USA -first african religion community (60s/70s)

-Asona Aberade Shrine, Philedelphia, USA - one of first Akan shrines in USA ('70s)

-Matanzas, Cuba - city where slaves preserved several african religions. one of the most important cities in the world for african religion.

When we have the determination to restrain our lower desires, the door is opened for us to fulfill our highest aspirations.
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 10:52:50 AM »

I have not had a chance to go to palmares (I'm in Brasilia D.F.), but what I've heard is that the site is being kept in a terrible state of disrepair, my mother was in the area and wanted to go there, the (Brazilian gov't) people hosting her kept coming up with excuse after excuse not to go, the weather's bad etc., when she finally went she said it is not being kept up at all, it's as if the Brazilian gov't does not want to protect and preserve this part of Brazilian history, despite their being supposedly left-wing and pro-Black etc. now...
OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 01:13:16 PM »

this is very terrible. you should see if people that you know what would interesting in organizing some kind of awareness. Or planning a field trip to clean some sections. if you do, be sure to take pictures and write a short press release. send it around and allow your international friends to try to get coverage outside the country if no one there wants to publish your findings.

organize. organize. organize. if for nothing else, out of respect for ones like Zumbi of Palmeres for whom ALL of us are indebted to for our lives.

When we have the determination to restrain our lower desires, the door is opened for us to fulfill our highest aspirations.
Yeefon_Abena_Mawus

Roots

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 05:29:25 AM »

Yebo!  Iyawo olokun is the Asona Aberade Shrine suited for an overnight trip to take a youth empowerment group?  what types of experiences might they have?

Yeefon Abena Mawusi
OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 07:35:09 AM »

Abena, I produced this list less as a field trip option and more as a Holy trek for you, family and friends. but you never know, they might accept a youth group. here is the most recent number i can find. if it doesnt work do a anywho or yellow pages search.

on the other hand, Oyotunji is most prepared to take overnight guests in the USA. they regularly have festivals and welcome visitors. http://www.oyotunjivillage.net/

Yeefon_Abena_Mawus

Roots

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 03:05:17 PM »

Hotep

I am very familiar with the villiage in SC, which, also is in disrepair.  With all due respect, when I said "field trip", it was meant in as a "spiritual field trip".  Youth that are a part of the Yeefon (Queen Mother) Elite, of the Asafo Osebos are required to make spiritual treks to other shrines and to practice ATR's.  As a part of our curriculum, every 6 weeks youth are taken on a trip, that emphasizes one of the 14 endowments.   3 of those places have to be specifically spiritual.  I was unaware of this particular shrine, however, I've already received positive feedback, this was an authentic shrine.  There are many shrines, however, they are not always authentic.  As there are many priests/priestesses that wear the title, have a lot of head knowledge, but that's where the buck stops.

Ase'
Yeefon Abena Gu Merkaba Mawusi
OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 08:14:35 PM »

what you have going on sounds very good. we need to inundate our children with spiritual knowledge...like we did before we got "here".

yes this is definately an authentic shrine. one of the first Akan temples. i here only good things in past.

you are right, many charlatans and many..well, lets say "half taught" folks going around.

there are some efforts to repair the Village roofs and key home and shrines. they have been collecting donations and always welcome more, even if its just a few bucks here and there.

Oke-Tase is also seeking donations. the roof on this shrine which is of course the oldest Ifa shrine in the world was doing badly. i believe the roof has been temporarily patched and they are looking for donations and physical assistance. i have an email around here that is the truest route to Ile Ife, if anyone wants it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: