Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:22:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 43 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Spirituality (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  '74-1st African-American Akan Priests "Gradua
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: '74-1st African-American Akan Priests "Gradua  (Read 8170 times)
OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« on: July 03, 2004, 09:01:51 PM »

Original Photo

"The first priest that I initiated in the late sixties was Adzua D. Opare, priestess to Nana Oyeni. She is a young woman for whom I have a great deal of respect, and depend a great deal on like my left hand. Shortly following Adzua's initiation came that of Nkobeahene Ajaibo.  

There are many other people who helped in the development of the Akan religion here in America. According to the wisdom of the elders, one head cannot go into council, therefore, one person cannot do anything alone. Without aid, without people helping you, you will just flounder. You may see someone and say this is a great man, but he could not be great unless the people behind him helped. The first person to possess Asuo Gyebi in America was Okomfo Baakan. The first person to possess Nana Kumi and regenerate that shrine which had lain dormant for over two hundred years was Okomfo Nyo. You see, in 1972 I had a vision that I had to go to Kubease-Larteh and also to Nsaba to bring something back from my great-grandparents. Nana Oparebea tried to discourage me, but I insisted that they take me back to the Nsaba village site of the 1500's. Trees were so high that sunlight could not even penetrate. Under a big tree that had fallen was a hole, and I said., "I want what is in there." They brought out the Nana Kumi shrine. Nana Kumi&'s shrine was given to me and I brought it to America. I own the parent shrine of Nana Kumi, and Okomfo Nyo was the first to possess him." -
Nana Yao Opare Dinizulu

When we have the determination to restrain our lower desires, the door is opened for us to fulfill our highest aspirations.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: