Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Rastafari (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Bobo Shanties want help to return 'home'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bobo Shanties want help to return 'home'  (Read 16589 times)
Ayinde
Ayinde

« on: July 06, 2004, 06:02:44 PM »

RECENTLY a colourfully dressed contingent from the Rastafarian sect of the Bobo Shanties visited the Express office on Independence Square, Port of Spain.

Their message?

Repatriation.

Where?

To Ethiopia of course, because as every true Rasta is wont to say: "Repatriation is a must."

This particular contingent represented the Ethiopian and African Black International Congress Church of Salvation. They carried their traditional banners with them.

The colour red flying high on top, symbolizes the blood of the Ethiopian people. The green found in the middle represents the pastures that they wish to inherit someday and the black, the black house of the Israelites. The Bobo Shanti sect began in 1958 in Jamaica and they worship and serve their Trinity, Emmanuel Charles Edwards, Marcus Garvey and Selassie I.

Prior to their visit to the Express office, they said they met with advisers to Prime Minister Patrick Manning at his Whitehall office, where they received an "uplifting response." They were pleading for transport, namely ships, to "return" to their homeland, Ethiopia. Having been "stolen" from the African continent many years ago under the European system of slavery, it is only natural that they should want to return there.

Their goal at the Express that day was to impart the truth about the bondage, slavery and oppression of black people to the public. The Bobo Shanties are of the belief that every race on this earth must return to their respective homeland. In particular, they stated that Ethiopia was created geographically and climatically for black people.

The Bobos currently reside in Wharf Trace located in the mountains of Maracas, St. Joseph. Although the Bobo Shanti sect consists of more than 1,000 members, approximately eitht families commune together in St. Joseph. Other practicing fBobo Shanties reside in Jamaica, The Bahamas, The Virgin Islands, Nigeria and Ghana.

The group explained that there are actually 52 different types of Rastafarians – Bobo Shanti and Nyabinghi just being two of the more "popular" ones. They also explained that there were many Rastafarian impersonators, but the true 'Rastas' are those who not only grow dreadlocks, but also those who refrain from wine; strong, alcoholic drinks and meat.

Later this month, on July 23, the Bobo Shanties plan to host a celebration in houour of the late Emperor Haile Selassie I. This marks 112 years since his birth.

During this time, they sing hymns and have bible study. They also hold congressional seminars where they try to implement plans to gain their freedom and their rights. The celebrations will continue until August 17, when they celebrate Marcus Garvey's birth date.

Reproduced from the Trinidad Express Newspaper
For Fair Use only
Prophet_Chris

Roots

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 02:25:35 PM »

Blessed, the most necessary post on this whole board and nobody has anything to say, no wonder why we are still in slavery, because most of you are not serious about Rastafari "Movement" . are all you confortable without the Priest House of Rastafari? because if you are you are incomplete, nor do you seriously intend of helping mankind come to a solution of world peace, equill right and Justice, most of you are satisfied with your european surroundings in front of the computer, with no intention of doing the work that is needed for every man and woman to land under there own vine and fig tree. what you want to keep us here in prison under white man controll? you are the wicked one. for those whome this dosn't apply, keep on supporting the E.A.B.I.C. Blessed
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 03:20:45 PM »

Many will not feel this is so important.

Personally, I placed it for others to examine the other Rastafari views out there. The government should not fund any one sect of Africans who wish to repatriate to Africa. However, I will support a general policy by governments (with the approval of tax payers) to fund all Africans who wish to repatriate to any part of Africa. Of course, the funds for this should come from companies and countries that were part of, or profited from the Slave trade.

There are too many issues here to be addressed first, before any government starts dishing out funds to any group of Africans.
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 04:16:14 PM »

Actually I personally never saw it before. I was in the motherland when it was first posted so I missed it. Thanks for posting on it. I probably would have never seen it otherwise....It was interesting... Also remember this is Africa Speaks. Not everyone claims Rasta here.

Forward to a united Africa!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: