Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:10:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 90 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  African Mythology and Fantasy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: African Mythology and Fantasy  (Read 6133 times)
skati
AfricaSpeaks Member

« on: September 21, 2006, 10:19:08 AM »

I wasn't really sure about where to put this, so if it's in the wrong spot, I apologize.  I'm working on a D&D setting for a friend's site and others, maybe here too, if anyone was interested and can find a spot for it, and was wondering if anyone here could teach me about some things I have no knowledge of.  The world is the fantasy version of our real world back in the medeival period.  Its focus is on three major continents, the equivalents of Europe, Asia, and Africa (will be different names).  As for the rest of the continents...they are there, but they are merely whispers amongst the known world.  Some old learned scholars and mages may know of their existence, but the commoners, and nobles too for that matter, don't.  It's not an exact replica as far as history is concerned.  For example, this world's equivalent of Europe never colonized Africa, not like the British empire did.  Not to say that some kingdoms never tried, but they were repelled most of the time, by the Africans themselves and by other things.  Trade, on the other hand, is very prominent between the different cultures of the lands.  While slavery is around in this world, it was done in, I guess you could say, the old way:  the defeated foes, regardless of their race or skin color (unlike what some people think in our real world, skin color is not a race here.  Human is the race.  I guess some could see the races our world sees as sub races of humanity in this world or something, though I'm not going that deep into it with this game), sometimes became the slaves of their conquerors after a battle.  I believe that's what the different tribes of Africa did, though I heard they got treated much better compared to the slaves during the Civil War era.  For the most part though, each continent had their own stuff to deal with. Fending off neighboring enemies in their own continent, for example.  Since it's a D&D campaign, obviously magic exists (as if that weren't already implied lol).  Another thing with this is that each continent is an amalgamation of the fantasy worlds of each continent.  Europe I have covered.  There is an ungodly number of references for that.  Heck, the entire D&D rpg itself, nearest I can tell, is based on European fantasy.  Asia...I know a few things to look for with that, but wouldn't mind any help here for it if any of you wanted.  Africa is the main one I'm drawing a blank on though.  I know next to nothing about the continent and the history of it itself, much less anything about the mythology and fantasy/legend creatures.  Does anyone here know anything about the fantasy world of Africa or know of any sites I could visit to gain some knowledge of it?  Like are there any African equivalents of elves and dwarves, or anything like that.  I've hear that they have a lion equivalent of the werewolf in their legends...anything along those lines or anything at all would be helpful and appreciated, please.

One thing I'm trying to do is cover at least three of the most prominent kingdoms and/or tribes in each continent for the background info.  Were there ever any kingdoms similar to those of Europe in Africa or were they all tribes really?  I'm covering an Egyptian type kingdom and an Arab (though my knowledge of geography isn't the best, I think the Arab world is also a part of Africa) type kingdom for the African equivalent continent, not sure about a third though.  I still need to work on some tribes, since from what I have been told and heard, Africa was always primarily tribal (need clarification) rather than the kingdoms Europe was in this age.

This game isn't the normal pen and paper type of RPG.  Basically, it's on a message board.  One story, more than one author, each post adds a little bit more to the story.  Each post can be as long or as short as you want, though average posts, from what I've seen, are normally a paragraph.  I don't know, I just thought maybe knowing this may help everyone understand what kind of thing I'm working on here.

Thanks in advance for any help or positive feedback.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: