Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2024, 10:10:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25912 Posts in 9968 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 133 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  I am a student doing research and i need help!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I am a student doing research and i need help!  (Read 11156 times)
portigian

« on: March 28, 2007, 10:15:42 PM »

Hello, my name is Dan and I am doing a research paper on Rastafarianism. I was wondering if it would be at all possible if I could get a number of people to take a few minutes to answer my questions so I can further my research and hear from people who actually practice Rastafarianism. Thank you all who help me.

1 what is reasoning? What do the people who participate have to do?
2 how does someone become a Rastafarian?
3 what are some common Rastafarian traditions that are followed
4 what is the difference in roles of Rastafarian women and men?
5 what significance does Ethiopia have to Rastafarians today?
6 are there any Rastafarian holidays?
7 what is the significance of the red green and yellow colors for Rastafarians?
8 is Rastafarianism a growing belief system or do the number of people stay the same?
9 does marijuana have a relation to Rastafarian beliefs and what is its purpose?
10 what is the reason for Rasta’s wearing dread locks?
11. is it possible to have white Rastafarians?
Still_an_Empress

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:02:43 PM »

I am not attempting to fully educate you on this topic, therefore I am only answering a few questions, so that you in turn will do more research and don't limit it to what is stated here.  I feel that once you research fully, you will recognize that Rasta goes far beyond those questions you listed below.  I believe you don't take what people tell you as truth, you PROVE IT!, so here is some insight, now go out and prove it.. Jah Guide and Protect. 

Shocked Number 2's answer which should shed light on number 8: you don't become a rasta, as one becomes a doctor or lawyer, rasta is something that has been in you from since creation, there comes a point in your life when you should stop denying the rasta in you, and embrace it.  Rasta is not a religion.  There are no set doctrines, etc.. every rasta interprets rasta according to them and their experiences.  Rasta has promoted my spiritual (as opposed to religious) growth through learning about the creator, and my history

Shocked number 4: Now Rastafari has more than one house: The Nyabinghi, Bobo Ashanti, and the 12 Tribes, all represent an aspect of Rastatfari.  Maybe you should learn about all the houses.  I personally live my life in accordance with my King and vice-versa.

Shocked number 7: as my uncle told me when i was like 8, and I was wearing a bracelet with the ites gold and green in it, Red = blood of Jah people,  yellow=the gold of Jah People, green=the land of Jah people.  They are also the colors of the Ethiopian flag; simply put, red=blood, yellow=gold, green=earth

Shocked number 9: Marijuana is the Hola (Holy) Herb, as it was found on the grave of King Solomon.  The herb should not be abused as a cheap thrill as some misinformed folks use it.  It should be used for meditation and enlightenment.  Others have used the herb for medication as a tea, etc...

Shocked number 10: Rasta's wear locks as what was once worn by the Nazarites.  Some also cite that Rasta's wear locks to immitate the mane of a conquering lion.  Others say that Rastas wear locks to denounce babylon and their ideas of fashion, etc..  But dreadlocks have been worn for centuries before rasta was popularized by holy men, kings , and scholars alike
portigian

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »

thank you very much for the help, and im doing much much more research, but im confused on one of the things you have mentioned. so there are 12 tribes and each tribe represents a diffrent aspect of rastafari? what are each of the houses? are they like diffrent beliefs or something else?
Still_an_Empress

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 04:49:11 PM »

There is more than one house (i.e. groups) of Rastafari.  12 tribes of Israel is the name of one of these houses.  Each group has their own practices
natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 05:20:38 PM »

1. reasoning = conversation = dialogue. it can also be used to refer to a meeting or gathering for discussion. conference? perhaps

- modest dressing.
- no meat eating (some eat fish).
- bobo shanti & school of vision recognize sabbath on saturdays.
- nyahbinghi sabbath is on tuesdays. (ethiopian sabbath)
- women's locks are covered in public (most houses/mansions..babylon seh sect)
- women aren't allowed to visit the tabernacle or participate in nyahbinghi chanting during menustration or after giving birth 3 months if a boy, 4 months if a girl
- nyahbinghi (death to black & white downpressors) gathering & chanting

5. it is ini home. modern day ethiopia being the spiritual "headquarters"

6. holiday.. holy.. burn... hola days.. significant days..

- january 7        ethiopian christmas day
- march 1          battle of adowa victory (1896)
- march 25        empress menen earthday
- april 21st        groundation day (jamaica - HIM visit to ja 1966)
- may 5            victory day (1941)
- may 25          african liberation day (charter of oau annivesary) (1963)
- june 16          leonard howell earthday (rastafari patriarch - credited as first rastaman)
- july 23           HIM earthday (1892)
- august 17       marcus garvey earthday (1887)
- september 11  ethiopian new year .. maskaram
- october 7       ras tafari crowned negus (king) tafari 1928 .. negus day?
- november 2     coronation day (1930)

8. change is constant.. rastafari is an evolving CULTURE.. not a "belief system".. fyah burn belief

11. yes

Houses:

1. 12 tribes of israel started by prophet gad (hq @ kgn, jamaica)
2. ethiopia africa black international congress (EABIC or bobo shanti) started by prince charles emmanuel edwards (prince emmanuel) (hq @ nine miles, st thomas, jamaica)
3. emperor haile sellassie i theocracy reign (order of the nyahbinghi) started by EARTH (hq @ scott's pass, clarendon, jamaica)
4. school of vision started by dermot fagan (hq @ blue mountain jamaica)
5. judah coptic

give yanks and praise.. HAILE SELLASSIE I is for-I-ver. hope i iccurances are useful...

History has shown that it is the inaction of those who could’ve acted; the indifference of those who should’ve known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most that has made it possible for evil to triumph. - EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: