Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:28:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 60 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Special Reasonings Archive
| | |-+  White 'Rastas' should reason on racism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: White 'Rastas' should reason on racism  (Read 67782 times)
Princess Tracey

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2003, 10:23:34 AM »

bredda Ayinde...when you speak such words of illuminated light such as these...I cannot begin to tell you how powerful is the force that literally smashes the head, the center of my soul, like 200 lb missiles...literally! (((BLAM !!!! )))

These words are CHANGING me!  I am crying, bawling (!!)..
great heaves of emotional tidal waves crest at the embankments of my well gaurded protective walls, and spew out of almost every orifice...it is these walls that keep me bound, and from my true essence...yet these walls cannot withstand the awsome  power of this mighty illuminated storm that turns and churns the burning life essence within, offering the power to BUST DOWN DEM WALLS!!!

I stand in the middle of di eye, and ask that ALL of this wall that needs not be... be BUSTED down...smashed into smitherines...washed out to sea !!  Let me see who I am truly meant to be, created authentically, for a purpose and a reasonto serve something greater than me!

...bring it on
Ras Mandingo

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2003, 12:33:14 PM »

Give thanks to all for this reasoning Cheesy

Certainly, denying is most frequently a waste of time, space and energy. For me, it look like the solution to overstanding among different people is respectfull reasoning and inclusion.

I know it's hard to feel includent when one is always excluded, but two wrong can't make one right, isn't it Smiley Inclusion is the way to oneness and righteousness.

How can one talk about something and at the same time say that it doen's exist? Naturally, racism is an urgent and most deep topic to be reasonied. Tha't why it looks heavy or difficult to be reasoned on.

I though a lot this weekend about this topic and what came to my mind was:

1- It seems that the main worry from the African Idrens and Sistrens is if the white (or other colours) ones would mislead Rastafari in their inteventions, when engaging this trod. Are them going to distorce Rastafari, are them going to use and abuse it? Can africans let them steel this precious treasure that still stand for African liberation?

This seems to be a very fair question. But is it possible to generalize or do we have differences among whites and whites? How can we identify who have honest intentions and who have evil, destructive and degenerative ideas? I guess the answer is the fire of reasoning that reveal the hidden intentions and perceptions of people.

2- The argument from the non-black ones is that they see Rasta as a way to turn themselves into better human beeings.

I guess this is something we can always check, the intentions of people. Like Ayinde said, Rastafari will mean something to Africans and something else to non-africans, naturally. The ones who can feel the African trod to the fullness are no one but themselves, isn't it?

If there's a place for all at Rasta (presuming), there must be a different agenda to each? (meaning this can be possible).

If non-blacks see Rasta as a spiritual livity to uprise themselves as better human beeing (meaning their own culture is uncapable of doing so) is this disrespectfull to the Africans who originated this movement?

If Rasta becomes international, and helps turning this world better to all races (human beeings) is it bad? Or the worry is if the essence of the movement will be disrespected? Rasta will never stop from beeing an african liberating struggle, but if it can stimulate and inspire others to move to higher hights, is it bad (providing that it's not distorced or disrespected)?

Regarding the topic what can white rastas add to rastafari, if they become supporters of this aim and if they see this opportunity to repent their styles and attitudes, also increasing their awereness and respect by the African struggle isn't this already something good?

One last point, if the race reasoning helps to get us even closer, it will be fullfiling it's function; otherwise will be uselless as it will only enlarge the division between people.

United we stand divided we fall.

Is there enough space for all in this earth?

Please, I have no ofensive intentions.

I overstand a lot of Africans are with reason not trusting the intention of white ones, for their past history, but there are no two individuals the same. Above all, we are all children odf the most high and once we can become aware of that, and we work to correct our sins and to improve us human beeings, we are on the way to righteousness...and with respect we can work out the differences and unity by the similarites.

Of course, if this trod is originally African, African have the right to say: this is our house and we don't want you here, wich is fair enough and others would have to go and look for their place under the sua. But is this the intention?

I know the first step in the agenda is reorganizing the individual leves, organize at home, and then spread it. So, I guess the question is, wheter black or white, who are respecting Rasta and who's not?

If a white eprson is not open to study the own history, to face the consequences of it, and to feel ashamed by that, and stop to think if is still forwardind this style, and how to correct it... then this person is coming to Rasta for some kind od fashion...otherwise...Rasta is beeing efficient when it can manage to respectfully present facts not known of felt by everybody, to shake people's counciousness and bring this topic to light...helping changing people's councience, change the world by changing the way people live, think, feel and act.

That's what I have for now. I hope I could help enlarging this reasoning.

Give thanks to all and give thanks for life.

Please, if anyone felt I was disrespectfull or vague and not objective, or did useless points, please show me.

I'm one who's always looking to correct I own mind, self and atitude. The worst person is the one who is rigid and wont correct the own points. The one who can't see the own vanity or mistakes is one that can't be trusted.

Much respect to all,

Ras Mandingo Jahson.

Haile,
Wisdom, Knowledge, Strenght & Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
c-spot_rasta

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2003, 06:10:44 PM »

hi im a white rasta and i dont like your sayin that we just want to do the fashion and dont want to do nothin to help fight against racism i just joined this forum so i dont no where the topics on racism are but id b glad to participate in them and i will do what i can to fight racism not just between black and white but all other races as well but it is so hard were i am bcuz i know no ohter rastas around me to help me and its hard to know where to start but if there are n e rastas in the calgary area i would love to meet with you mabey we could organize somthin
c-spot_rasta

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2003, 06:24:48 PM »

o ya one more thing if u want us to participate in discussions on racism then dont act like we dont belong
livelyup

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2003, 10:08:23 PM »

Greetings all,

it would seem that i meet the essential criteria to post on this topic, being white and a rasta (with, or without inverted commas), and havng been largely silent on this issue, particularly on the main board.

Firstly some explanations are in order. My general absence from the debates on racism are not an indication of my lack of concern for the issue, but a reflection for the way that discussions about race tend to be carried out on the general board. They, in my opinion, very quickly end up in brawling and personal insult. I do not percieve this as being productive, so have not chosen to take part. it is only really now that I am beginning to overstand some of the unforseen consequences of this policy. Silence was not intended to be equal to unconcern, bt i can see how it may be taken as such.

So, for the record, here is livelyup's overstanding of the relationship of race issues to the role of white people in rasta. I would ask those reading to bear in mind that i live a considerable distance from africa or america, and that the issues relating to race that we face here are slightly different, and probably more related to the situation of the native americans or carib peoples.

I honestly believ that it is impossible for white people to overstand themselves and their relationship with the rest of the world without first coming to terms with what has happened to the black people of the world at the hands of our culture. To cut a potentially long story short, without doing this, and trying to in some way atone for the horrors that have occured, i do not believe it is possible for white people to understand the magnitude of the deception and brainwashment that has been occuring through history. Without coming to terms with the scope of babylon you will not be able to free yourself from it. Without freedom from babylon you will just be another slave to the machine, a fate from which even white skin cannot save you.

There is clearly much more detail that I can elaborate on, and I would be interested to know what others think is the best way to achieve a measure of personal reparations for the wrongs that have been done, particularly given the natural tendancy of white people to try and take over anything they touch. How can we be involved and take more of a back seat role?

Love and life
paul
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2003, 12:44:37 AM »

I would like to thank all my Black Brothers and Sisters and all the white people on this board who take the time to participate in this crucial discussion. Brother Ayinde be Blessed for starting it. Your awesome wit and Knowledge is showing!!

Let's not fool ourselves, RASTAFARI it's about the relieve  and betterment of BLACK PEOPLE! Then it's about other people of color also oppressed who mostly live in the third world. ARE WHITE PEOPLE  OPPRESSED? Are their Civilizations and Traditions destroyed and ridiculized? Are their land taken from them and  used for the wealth of others? Are they humiliated and reduced to beg? NO they are not. Their Nation are the the most powerful on earth! Their Culture is strengthened and the MAJORITY of their people are the wealthiest on earth while most of world crawl under abject Poverty!

BLACK PEOPLE and people in the third world ARE THE ONES WHO SUFFER! RASTAFARI is about them! Rastafari is FOR THEM! IMO, the white 'rastas' "Unity", "One Love" talk is a clever way to DILLUTE the real aim of RASTAFARI which is to SMASH (hard) BABYLON and its EVIL System of Oppression and Exploitation led by you know who.. If white 'rastas' truly mean to  be RASTAFARiANS they MUST SMASH Babylon not with words but with ACTION it's essential! They must WORK hard (like we do) to try to get African People RIGHTS and equal POWER. They MUST CONSTANTLY talk to their Kin (like we do) about RACISM and INJUSTICE, backing it up with contemporary proofs and Historical FACTS! They must CLEANSE the brainwash minds of their people and of other people by  relentlessly  teaching them to quit Babylon  greediness and selfishness  ways to only be compassionate, altruist and humble!  They MUST protest, march and join  PAN-AFRICANIST organisations. Any one as long they work efficiently for the betterment of BLACK PEOPLE! They MUST be productive and create busisnesses to help the Black community by employing them and by helping them to create busisnesses themselves. They MUST PREACH and TEACH with vision and DETERMINATION all the time, everywhere! But do they do that? No. they prefer copy us vainly instead of  trodding THE PATH OF Real STRUGGLE for the JUSTICE and RISE of Black people!

Despite what white 'rastas' say, despite all the knowledge they have gained by  studying us and  imitating us they would NEVER feel our daily PAIN , our humiliation, our unhopefulness anyway! They can cut their beards and their locks  and go back to their normal lives anytime but us we will NEVER be able to change the color of our skin! Their non experience of our Oppression will never make them valuable Warriors for our Struggle anyway. Only the one who has been whipped for 500 years feel the PAIN have the accumulated RAGE to REBEL and fight! The One who stayed on the side watching can only feel sorry, he or she will never have the courage nor the WILL to rebel and fight! Because the scars and PAIN are not burning his or her skin and never will!

My words reflect the feeling of MANY BLACK Brothers and Sisters out there. White 'rastas' should know if we do not say it front of them we certainly think it in the inside. As long as the hypocritical white 'rastas' behaviour remain, so will remain our distrust for them! Unless they prove to be efficient and  ACTIVE for our struggle and the one of people of color around the word, we will always take them for who they really are LIARS and Deceivers.  

I said it before I'm talking about the behaviour of white 'rastas' in general. However I want to believe there are few white people (rastas or not)  courageously fighting for us and changing things for us... But WHO ARE THEY and WHERE ARE THEY??

OH! HAILE SELASSIE I- JAH ALMIGHTY FEED THE HUNGRY AND THE POOR!  FREE YOUR PEOPLE FROM EVIL! COMFORT US AND SAVE THE WORLD!

SisKelani-

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2003, 02:02:33 AM »

o ya one more thing if u want us to participate in discussions on racism then dont act like we dont belong

No matter what anybody says if you claim to be Rasta, so be CONFIDENT and KNOW you do belong in this discussion, in this messageboard and in Rastafari!

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2003, 05:37:03 AM »

Africans who have already experienced the humiliation by what appears to be White superiority and arrogance are close to realizing something big, only when they get a proper perspective on what is behind this arrogance.

Whites do not genuinely believe that they are superior to anyone. It is a deep sense of loss and disconnectedness from greatness that is behind their general insecurities.

This façade of superiority is a way to hide deep fears. Fears of what may happen if and when victims of ‘their’ abuses get the upper hand. Fear of not being able to proudly look back into the past and get a genuine feeling of the continuity of life and its accomplishments. This is the reason that alongside ‘their’ savagery there is the destruction of the symbols of more indigenous cultures. They do not feel their connectedness to these cultures and as such feel a sense of shame for having not developed the very ideas that they exploit today. There is this ongoing effort to possess and claim all that is visibly good and herald them as symbols of their own greatness.

It is only a fearful people who would allow their leaders to stay at great distances and rain bombs on other people. Fearful people lie, steal, kill, and dominate others.

Today, whites can come out of these doldrums if they are prepared to surrender to a better discipline. Rasta can offer this to Whites alongside giving the necessary relief to Blacks who need basic material comforts in order to get the breathing space to work on themselves.

It is certainly not easy for a White person to come to a Black institution to look for help. Their whole world is tugging them away from this. But truth is a powerful attraction to people who know they are victims of a system although they benefit from its privileges.

So I am not dismayed that Whites are drawn to African institutions, as addressing issues from an African point of view can bring relief to all people. But the order is very important. People should realize that in everything there is an intrinsic order that allows for a harmonious flow of relief to everyone.

The two sides of Rasta can coexist and bring relief to all. One side is spiritual and the other material. It is the spiritual side that should be of interest to Blacks, Whites and all others, and yes, it will always be open to all because it is in this spirituality we share a common identity.

The material side is supposed to be about bringing relief to those most affected by the false white supremist system and as such their focus should be on supporting Africans who are making the effort to help themselves. The key word is support and not lead.

It is also important that people understand that I am offering analyses based on my experiences and I am in no way trying to tell others what they must or must not do.

People are still free to do as they will.
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2003, 06:52:21 AM »

Your comments and analyses are indeed appreciated Brother Ayinde!

exiled

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2003, 07:31:28 AM »

greetings to all from deep in the dirty south..

Stating first...that i am not a learn-ed man but simply one who continues a lifelong search in any and all realms for dat illusive..Truth.
I have read the reasonings here an although some were difficult for me to follow ,i would like to add my perspective..
keeping in mind that it is from my life ex-periences that i draw an that as many would tell you.. i normally allow poetic ex-pression to bring out the thoughts and feelings that reside in my Soul...as i find it difficult to truly say what i want to convey in "regular" writings..but this attempt i will make..

Racism is reality.. an to i is THE most pressing problem in the world today.And..has been since my birth some 47 years ago.
For me to deny that..is to deny all that my life ex-perience has taught me and to deny Reality..The fact that the vast majority of white folks do not care to shed the covers of Racial supremacy's  illusions , kindles..smolters..an rages the fire..within all aspects of my being.So has it been..so will it be.

I have read the many perspectives here.And i do truthfully understand what most are saying.At least i think i do.Yet my Soul wonders how many white brothers an sisters who come here do truly understand what the black brother...and sister...and child , goes thru every waking moment of their lives.Not just in Africa..but the world over.I am sure that many read or study or see the images..at least the blatant acts of racism that are sometimes caught in one realm or another.It is easy to talk about the past an dismiss it it as.."i wasn't there..it wasn't me..i am not my ancestors"..and so on..But the Truth of the matter is the matter of the Truth.RACISM flourishes today ! Albeit seemingly more subtle to some..but Jah give us ears ta hear an eyes ta see..so we must hear an we must see...

...tell ya what i know ..not what i think , not what i have heard...not what i have read..Black man goes to court.. racism has it's say.Po-lice come a callin in the Black neighborhood..racism has it's say.Black Children go to school...racism has it's say.Black person goes to the doctor..or worse the emergency room..racism has it's say.Black person goes huntin a job..racism has it's say.Black Woman tries to rise up..racism has it's say , in a double kinda way.Sometimes subtley..quietly..sometimes wide -open but..always in every realm in every aspect of survivin this physical world..racism STILL has it's say.So we say..why?yeah man..why ? Did the laws change but the people's hearts remain the same? Seh..give in to them a little so we don't look so barbarian..but still we will con--trol.The powers that be have spent hundreds of years con-trolling by any an all means and still they will ..unless the hearts of men ,the Souls of men are changed..Revolution of the Soul yeah....and i-and-I say that racism is still the most potent weapon they carry within their arsenal...deny my reality but still it is my reality..

...so what we do..pick up the gun? what makes sense when it's a thousand to one?so what we do..preach One Love..Unity?Preach it yeah.but first we got to LIVE IT !An in my eyes for white folks to live it..it means doin ALL that is within each ones power to right a wrong.Not just any wrong.But the most horrendous wrong this world has ever known.Racism! An to start white folks must realize that everything does NOT belong to them.The past cannot be changed.Some will say we must all forgive and forget..Forget ?!..Millions of murders, rapes,attempted genocide.How in Jah's name can any forget,especially with the perpetuation of the past in this iwah.No man..forgivin an forgettin..the two they mingle not.Put the images in your mind an see them as if they were right there in front of you.Children dying...Blood..beating...savage rape...human slaughter an on an on..an tell anyone of African descent that they must forget ?..No.

Live it if you wanna know.Have you been so close to the hard core racists that the hot breath of pure hatred burns your very essence?Have you stared down the barrel of one of their guns or been slapped down for your beliefs?Have you given up on family an friends who refuse to want to see the Truth ex-posed ..to prove your oneness with the struggle.Have you risked lon-li-ness, alienation, financial loss, physical health...an even death..to show that no matter the loss you are what you preach..that you will do anything to make this terrible wrong be turned to a right ..that we may all get on wid True Unity..true One Love.It will take all of this man.Risks!.an more.To even get a glimpse of what so many centuries of oppression has heaped upon Black shoulders.No wonder that distrust reigns..

i just can't see sittin behind a computer screen an sayin all will be okay if we just forget an learn to love.I Love ..every day of my life i love...deeply.And it is my Love that sustains me.An..you will hear me say One Love..Jah Love an Unity.An when i say these things they are straight from my heart..but they are pleas.. pleas yuno..not realities.Not at dis time.I cry for love..for peace..for unity..but not without also crying for Truth..and for true equality for all and an end to de CRIME of racism..and also cryin to all white Brothers an Sisters who are in some stage of consciousness..to understand, to truly understand the plight of our African Brothers and Sisters..who every day and in every realm of life put up with them "looks of disdain" from the majority of white folks..fe what ? the color of their skin..It is the oppressed who will lead.It is up to all others to decide if they will overcome ALL prejudices..all claims to superiority an the privilege that goes with it and walk..fight..and live what they preach no matter the risks.The answers lie in the Heart and Soul of Africa..and dilution is not nor will it ever be an option...

a quick story an i will close..as a young boy ( teenager that) i was playin baseball with a semi-pro baseball team  down here in the "way deep" south.This would have been around 1972-73 i suppose.(time flies yeah).Anyway i was the youngest on the team an the only "white" player.So..we were comin back from an out of town game an the car i was in with about 6 brothers broke down, an i mean in the middle of nowhere yuno..and it was almost dark..So..There was a big farmhouse.Remind you of a plantation an all, setting off the road a ways.All of the guys looked at each other an finally somebody said.."who's gonna go ask for help"..Not me..not me..not me...came the replies."Them white folks ain't gonna beat me down way out here in these woods."Inevitably all eyes turned to me.Let the boy go..he's white..they won't mess with him."Yeah man you go"..but the old guy(named Chines Chappel) who was drivin the car jumped in.."whoa ya'll..you cain't send him up there" !.."why not ? they won't hurt one of their own."..so.. Old Chappel looked at all of them an said.."you send him up there an they see he's with us..they gonna kill his a*s , then call the law an say we did it"...

ears ta hear yuno..

Chappel is close to 90 now an still reminds me of the time he "saved my life"..oh..an we decided to all walk down the road together.After a few miles we caught a ride home on the back of a pick-up with a brother who had been to the game..

so ..apologies for makin this so long..an if perhaps anger shows thru..but it is what i see and have seen thru my life.truly difficult for me to put it in the words i want to..But again..each one must do ALL that they can to be a part of this overcoming..some will be able to do more..some less..

One Love yes..
Unity yes..
but every scar must be healed and payed for...from the physical to the Spiritual..

and racism must be fought down in every realm by all who profess to be genuine in their commitment to Rasta..an to African Liberation..for the two are One..

an i cannot at this time claim that title of "Rasta"  though i know that until i crossed the path of The Light of Blackness..i knew nothing..i give thanks to Almighty Jah..

as i see it..

Respect..

ex ....

Ras Mandingo

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2003, 11:59:23 AM »

AAAHHHH!!! Give thanks for this reasoning!!!

Give thannks Ayinde for your words Cheesy

You managed to put in words a lot of what I myself wanted to say Wink

And Give thanks for your story Exiled!!!

Trully a blessing to have the opportunity of beeing here, fortunatelly getting the light of truths and rights!!!

Give thanks for life,

Give thanks to all as one,

One Love/One Aim/One Destiny

Mandingo.

Haile,
Wisdom, Knowledge, Strenght & Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ras_Joe

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2003, 12:42:44 PM »

Peace and Blessings to All,

I have not responded to this reasoning, but I must say I am growing from the information that is being posted. Continue this reasoning as I seek to build and grow.

Jah Bless,
Ras Joe
c-spot_rasta

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2003, 06:16:46 PM »

SisKelani in response to what you said i would b happy to take action an fight babylon but like i said b4 im missing 2 things people to help me (i cant find n e other rastas around were i live an ive bin searchin almost a year) and knowing were to get started/experience. If you could help me i will proove your belief that there r some white rastas trying to help.
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2003, 04:25:58 AM »

I am humbly intervening here.

You do not need to be among others to start doing your part. All you need to do is learn from the reasonings and try setting a better example. Your feedback is always welcomed. It is the little good things that each one does daily that adds up to a collective work.
jaymz

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2003, 09:06:55 AM »

hey all im new to this board so firstly jus want ta say hi. I was readin some of the messages about white rastas and i really jus want ta say that we're all part of one body. We all were created by Jah. In my VIEW whites are no different to blacks (sorry to use that language if it offends people). What is makin me worried is that Rastafari is about love and peace and, because of race, these aims are being contradicted. how can some people be accepted and some not when we're all part of one body?
This is what the problem is; not only with Rasta, but with the whole world. If we were all the same color, would things be any different?! Surely we would be able to find another way to become prejudiced against another type of person (like one with blue eyes and one with brown eyes?!) surely, we must be able to accept that we are all form one body?!
A belief is a belief and it surely cannot matter about something as stupid as the color of a person's skin. It's what is in your head, not what color the skin is. If you truly accept Rasta, what is the difference between a black man and a white man?!
I know that white rastas offend black rastas because of history, but what happened to forgiveness?! It is also not true to say that all whites took advantage of the black race. A select few cannot account for the entire white population.
Anyway, i've spent long enough writin this, so im gonna pen off now.
Hopefully the world will change for the better, but to be honest, it doesnt look likely with war being a regular part of today's life. All we can do is speak out against the evils of life and embrace wat is good.
have yourselves a good day,
peace,
jaymz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: