Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Special Reasonings Archive
| | |-+  What defines Rastafari?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What defines Rastafari?  (Read 28725 times)
John_Pancakes

RastafariSpeaks .com

« on: April 15, 2003, 03:34:08 PM »

My name is John and I have been reading the "Rastafari Times" online and have decided to join the discussion.

What your feelings are concerning how one differeniates a "Christian" and a "Rastafarian;" in your mind what beliefs or attitudes are essential to be considered a Rastafarian?

This is in on way meant to be confrontational. I have no one in my area (that I know of) to discuss this with and I would like for people to share their opinions.

Peace to you.
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 07:25:44 PM »

Welcome to the reasoning forum.
I received the email, and thanks for the sentiments shared.

There are a variety of ideas within the Rastafarian community and I like giving my views within a discussion where others have an opportunity to share their perspective.

Although I have a website, I cannot speak for all Africans and Rastafarians, I merely give my views. I prefer people with legitimate questions to engage the dialogue to reason.

I hope you are patient enough to allow others to think it over and comment. I would also share more views a bit later.

[link=http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/cgi-bin/forum/storeroom/config.pl?read=7662]Meanwhile you can check this thread...[/link]

When I find others I may post them. You can also use the search on the other boards for a wider variety of views.

Regards.
RasTalawa ben-Judah

PeaceLoveInity, from the one true Jah

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 02:42:27 PM »

Rastafari was around before time...Adam and Eve were the first...
Students of HIM Haile Selassie I...People who live a natural life seeking the light of LORD Jah...
all other parts of the movement stem from this
Dreadlocks are natural, and InI seperation unto the LORD
Predjudice and hate towards people are not wanted, both by JAH, and HIM (apologies to those who consider the two the same)
InI are all vessels reaching for the Divine Light.

Iman too will hold the tongue on further elaboration until others have a chance to respond, for this is a blessed subject for reasoning...

May the light of the Most High find you, and may you know HIM when it happens.

PeaceLoveInity
RasTalawa of the tribe Judah

May the Light of JAH shine through all who would seek HIM, for the Glory of HIS Kingdom, and may all men wish to seek HIM.
[/b]

JahLight and Protection Idren
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2003, 09:33:20 AM »

John_Pancakes, you should have other questions and views, let's hear them.
Tyehimba
Tyehimba

RastafariSpeaks

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 05:40:50 PM »

Greetings RasTalawa ben-Judah, exaclty what do you mean by "Adamand Eve were the first... "
Could you please expand on dat?

John Pancakes,

Christianity is a religion while Rastafarians strongly assert that Rastafari is a way of life, not a religion. Rastafari is the revival of an ancient way of living that ultimately suppossed to permeate every sphere of one's existence i.e every word, thought and deed.

blessed love

Princess Tracey

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 05:19:06 PM »

"Christianity is a religion while Rastafarians strongly assert that Rastafari is a way of life, not a religion. Rastafari is the revival of an ancient way of living that ultimately suppossed to permeate every sphere of one's existence i.e every word, thought and deed."

Blessed reasonings Ras Tyehimba -

I too, have been giving this great thought and have also posted similar reasonings...trying to discern the difference between religion born out of culture..or the inherant mix of the two..and where, how, and if at all,  Rastafari comes in on this...

But you have somewhat clarified Rastafari...for I had wondered if it was considered a "religion" born out of the cultures of Ethiopia/Africa/Jamaica...yet, the cultures ARE most certainly an integral part of the Rastafari "way of life" ..yes?

So how has Rastafari evolved today therefore, ...as others seek the "way of life" as Rastafari... transcending the origins of it's, and there own, culture?

Also, is the core of belief sustained that Haile Selassie I is the son of God..A Christ figure head, to be worshiped as such?

What is your definition of "religion"?

blessed reflections

Rootsie

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2003, 05:33:41 PM »

If I had to reply in one sentence as to the dif between Christian and Rastafari here it is: Christians wait for HIS return, whereas Rasta sight HIM already has come!

to elaborate slightly: in real-life terms it makes a good deal of difference whether one lives in a state of WAITING, or whether one overstand that that time is DONE. New wine.

One Love!
rootsie
RasTalawa ben-Judah

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2003, 07:13:37 AM »

Greetings RasTalawa ben-Judah, exaclty what do you mean by "Adamand Eve were the first... "
Could you please expand on dat?

Ites Ras Tyehimba...

Adam and Eve were the first Rastas by definition...living at one with nature and walking with the Most High LORD Jah...

Rastafari has been around since the begining of time, and Adam and Eve were the first to show the Roots...they were the Roots.

Enoch was also on this walk with Jah...Enoch walked so closely to the Lord of Hosts, that HE spared Enoch from the taste of death, even before death had truly lost its sting after the Crucifiction of Yeshua.

Iman agree John, Ask away, that theI might find answers.

May the enlightenment from the one true JAH touch theIs heart of hearts, that the truth may be seen and HIS name be Glorified.

PeaceLoveInity
RasTalawa of the tribe Judah

May the Light of JAH shine through all who would seek HIM, for the Glory of HIS Kingdom, and may all men wish to seek HIM.
[/b]

John_Pancakes

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2003, 07:22:55 AM »

I apologize for not bringing more to the table initially.

Although I have read quite a bit about Rastafari and HIM, I do not feel like I am in any place to speak with authority about the subject. As a white male who lives in a town without much of a Rasta community (that I am aware of) and therefore not much contact with real live Rastas, I feel that to throw my opinions around would be foolish.

I am not convinced that Haile Selassie I is the Christ returned. I am not convinced that marijuana is a "wisdom weed" - I don't really think it's wrong, but I don't really buy that it constitutes a sacrament, either.

However, Rasta trully seems to have a connection to Divinity that much of modern Christianity lacks. I do not consider myself a Rasta, but I do consider myself acutely inspired by it. I am always curious to know where others stand. From what I have read about the Bobo Dreads, the Elders, and the 12 Tribes, there seems to be a wide variation of belief about what Rasta is and not really a true common ground.

I am not trying to malign Rasta in any way... I am only trying to figure out what differentiates an independent minded, mystical Christian from a Rastafarian.

Peace to you.
Tyehimba
Tyehimba

RastafariSpeaks

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 09:19:38 AM »

Hail i's

"Adam and Eve were the first Rastas by definition...living at one with nature and walking with the Most High LORD Jah...

Rastafari has been around since the begining of time, and Adam and Eve were the first to show the Roots...they were the Roots. "    

I don't agree with this. Afrikans were existing in their high culture in Alkebulan thousands of years before the first mention of Adam and Eve. This Adam and Eve myth has absolutely no historical
basis. To say Adam and Eve were the first rastas or that they were they roots is an affront to our advanced ancestors who waled this earth thousands of years ago, none of their names being adam or eve.

http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/articles/The_Bible_Sexism.html
The word religion is modernly used in relation to churches for e.g if someone goes to church often and reads his bible, he is described  as religious. However as Ayinde pointed out:

"The term religion comes from two Latin words.  

"RE" which means "BACK" and "LIGON" which means "to hold, to link, to bind."

Therefore it is imperative to get a good grasp on history in order to develop oneself spiritually.
RasTalawa ben-Judah

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 10:31:41 AM »

I personally have to say that:
# one...The first mention of Adam and Eve is long after the actual event was said to occur, and the Creation of humanity begining with one man (the translation of the word Adam,or Adom...) and one wombman (the word Eve means mother in the original texts...) If this belief in the Bible as infallible, as seen by HIM is offensive, than Iman apologise for your offense, but not for the Bible's words...

Adam and Eve is a story of Symbolism, of Man's creation with a clean heart, and mans choice to give up this cleanness for the fruits of babylon.  Human life had to start somewhere.  

If theI is of the persuasion that the Bible is falliable, than this discussion could go in circles...Iman raspeckt theIs views, and found that article interesting when I read it about a month ago...many faiths, including Afrikan faiths have a similiar story of creation...

May Jah bless your life with the fullness of his Glory.

PeaceLoveInity
RasTalawa

[/b]

RasIene

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2003, 10:02:12 PM »

Rastafari is not eveil, Rastafari is not down pressing, Rastafari is not plundering, whoremongering, robbing, conning, mondernizing in the name or remaking. Rastafari I is not negating. Rasta is born out of the Black man experience of been enslaved, riducled, renamed and downpressed. The light is is on all artical Rastafarian, defender of uprightness.
PureWisdom

RastafariSpeaks.com

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 09:39:47 AM »

O.k I am confused here. So someone please help me understand this once and for all. Here are my questions.

Rastafari is what a religion a way of life what? And I here some rasta's say that H.I.M is jah. I say how if he had a birthday that came after the earth was created. 2nd some say that H.I.M is christ the messiah. But other then his linage to me I can't see how.(no disrespect to anyone who thinks otherwise). 2nd alot of the things I here of the rasta life for woemn is very full of male chauvanism. How can you uplift life life if you oppress the women? Look Iamjust trying to understand the concept of rasta.

As for me I have no religion however I read the bible the quran every day. I don't eat meat or fake food. I lock my hair but not for stupid reason I just reached a point in my life where I want to be natural. I try  to study the laws of life in order to live in harmony with them And i try to treat people like i would treat god no matter what color.However if you do me wrong i just stay as far from you as i can. This to me is a true religion just being obediant to jah god allah what ever you choose to call him.
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 04:48:24 PM »

PureWisdom, tell me which movement in the world do we have everyone agreeing on everything? There will always be a different set of interpretations and people are always free to gravitate to whatever holds their interest.

On the various Rastafari websites and message boards there is a wide array of views on all of the issues that you raised. One would expect different people to move to whatever suits their own awareness. It is really up to everyone to do their own research, engage reasonings and draw their own conclusions. People should not expect any one person to define Rastafari for everyone. On this board I speak for myself and there are others who do the same. Discerning is what it is all about and reasoning is the highest communication in Rasta.
Kebo

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 10:20:24 PM »

Rastafari is like Jah new album, Christianity being the last record, both by the same artist. The next album was promised and it has arrived on the scene, just got to find it cuz its not being advertised or televised on the commercial market.
Actually it is, but you got to be able to feel it to pick it up

Haile Sellassie is the Christ, the global panacea
(someone's probably gonna give me shit for saying global)

African justice - white redemption
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: