Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:42:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 60 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  A Lesson in Black History: The Statue of Liberty
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Lesson in Black History: The Statue of Liberty  (Read 20942 times)
Yann

Ayanna's Roots

« on: January 22, 2004, 01:34:16 PM »

excerpt from article:

A Lesson in Black History: The Statue of Liberty

"The Statue of Liberty was originally a Black woman. But, as memory serves, it was because the model was Black. In a book called "The Journey of The Songhai People," as Dr. Jim Haskins (a member of the National Education Advisory Committee of the Liberty-Ellis Island Committee, professor of English at the University of Florida, and prolific Black author) points out that is what stimulated the original idea for that 151 foot statue in the harbor. He says that the idea for the creation of the statue initially was to acknowledge the part that Black soldiers played in the ending of Black African Bondage in the United States.

It was created in the mind of the French historian Edourd de Laboulaye, Chairman of the French Anti-Slavery Society, who, together with sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi, proposed to the French government that the people of France present to the people of the United States through the American Abolitionist Society, the gift of a Statue of Liberty in recognition of the fact that Black soldiers won the Civil War in the United States. It was widely known then that it was Black soldiers who played the pivotal role in winning the war, and this gift would be a tribute to their prowess."

check this link for the rest of the article:

http://www.geocities.com/raglanr/black.html
ptaured7

AfricaSpeaks.com

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 07:07:57 PM »

Interesting, there are a number of theories as to the true identity and meaning of the statue of liberty and I had not heard this one.  However, I would caution that although the parties responsible for the design may have been connected to abolitionists, the grounding for the meaning of this icon is possibly related to archetypal mystery cults moving through time from, in fact, ancient Babylon through European history and to modern times.  Often , the European elite masked through many levels, symbols of deep and secretive meanings only to them with superficial and often idealistic images the meaning of which are often the opposite of the true intent.   Orwellian double speak and double think, where a  lie is communicated in the form of self evident truth is older than Orwell. Much older.  People have been manipulated in this fashion for a long time.

France is full of this type of history and manipulation.  While we think of the S.O.L. as a symbol of freedom and "liberty" - some have described its underlying symbolism as a marker of property control from the often undescribed and well hidden power bases of Europe.  Rastafarian people  and African American scholars might consider that there is very little in this country (USA) that is sovereign in relation to the "old world".  In fact, our current predation on the rest of the world can be seen as a mercenary action for European expansion.  That is what the SOL may in fact symbolize -  the USA is merely an outpost of such expansion. Certainly, all the major wars we have fought in the last century in foreign lands have been events that this colony has been manipulated into from the old/new "concert of Europe".   This is a classic refrain from traditional democratic republicans of the late 19'the century, who were effectively crushed by the assasination of Ab.Lincoln and gradual control of the federal government by Britain, primarily, through southern presidents, most notably Wilson.  It is usefull to consider that white southern political power, and racist confederate power structure rising in the north of this country today, is a British Loyalist movement at least in part.  One can scratch a modern confederate political sympathizer today and if done correctly, ascertain that these people will often opine that the USA should return to a constitutional monarchy!

It is ironic that many African Americans have been led to beleive, falsely, that Woodrow Wilson was somehow a friend to black people and there is even a college named after him that sponsors African American scholarship.  In fact, Wilson was a raging racist and white supremacist who spent half of his tenure in a virtual coma, while British agents in the form of unlected 'Advisors" ran the government with the tacit approval of the acting president in the last four years of his term, his wife.
Ptaured7
hailiniemperor

AfricaSpeaks.com

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 07:26:04 PM »

whats up Yan. That is interesting. You know this isnt trying to degrade what you wrote in any way, but I have also read that the statue of liberty was modeled after a french prostitute.
Yann

Ayanna's Roots

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 06:37:49 AM »

The reasoning  on the thread : Jesus Married

adds an interesting expansion to this ptaured7 and hailiniemperor, as you mentioned the grounding for the symbol in ancient  beliefs (i object to the use of the word cults) and the theory that the statue was a model of a french prostitute... the two are not as far removed as one may initially think Wink

Particular reference to this comment by Bantu Kelani:
Thirdly, Mary Magdalen is identified in Mark and Luke as the woman who was possessed by seven demons, which Yeshua cast out of her. The seven demons were a symbolic part of a temple ritual known as "The Descent of Inanna" one of the most ancient ceremonies known, recorded in the Epic of Gilgamesh. This ritual was known to be practiced in the Jerusalem temple of Mari-Anna-Ishtar."

One may certainly find some resonance  betwen this, the ancient belief in the seven chakras (energy points in the body), and  the seven rays coming out from the head of 'lady liberty' .There is much to be interpreted there.. take it as you will...
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 09:54:18 AM »

Mark 4

"10   And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable.
11   And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
12   That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them."
Yann

Ayanna's Roots

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 03:35:19 PM »

I am posting this email from Ptaured7  by his request, as a continuation of this reasoning - yan

Dear Yan:  Thank you for your reply .  I apologize for term mystery
"cult".  It was meant in the context of technical historical
terminology
only referring to ancient Greece and Rome.  Ancient beliefs,
particularly animist spiritual beliefs, are of interest to me.  
Ancient
and modern animist spiritual traditions are often far closer to the
most
advanced notions of science, particularly modern physics.  
Christianity, Islam and Judaism tend to be mystical in comparison,
although their roots go aways back, as the contributors to your web
site
know better than I.   Medievel, early  and early modern European
history
are interesting in the strange manifestations of the old ancient
traditions of Egypt in particular.   There was much twisting and
tweaking to suit agenda's not conducive to common human benefit by the
mystery "organizations" that stirred a strange stew of blended
traditions to effect a plan.  There is a curious inferiority complex
within the power elite structures of Europe to this day having to do
with Egypt.  They secretly are obsessed with posessing and mimicking
many Egyptian customs , appearances and even rituals that, over time,
have been muddled and re-arranged to suit the aspirations of these
people.  As I am sure you know, secret knowledge of ancient
civilizations, both positive and negative, were hidden or destroyed by
a
host of European secret societies (societies maybe better than "cult").
The dangerous arts of Egytpian Magic/Science Preisthood were and have
been to the  present day, preserved and used, while many of the
positive
arts were withheld or destroyed.  The Catholic Church is particularly
guilty of this.  So I don't run off at the mouth too much more, I
suggest that my intent was to suggest that all these things need
rediscovery! and that they should not be hidden away by negative powers
intent on manipulating us through means that are not often imagined by
most.  A true measure of our equality is the capacity for mishcief and
bad behaviour among elites and rulers of all races, both ancient and
modern.  I truly enjoy your web site, it has some of the best
"reasonings" on African history (an old field of mine) and current
events.  I would like to present for your readersip a dialogue of some
rant with the Jeff Rense program officianodos and Mr. Rense, who you
may
have heard about.  A curious "mixed bag" of anti imperialism and anti
fascism mixed with Christian patriotism and , well, racism may be too
strong of a word.  A conspiracy theorist named David Icke is of similar
bent, but interesting.  There perspectives are not very sophisticated
when it comes to ancient and modern African history and they tend to be
apologists for the old RSA and Rhodesia.  The trouble maker that I am
it is boring to preach to the converted, so I am trying to push a
little
of yours there way for enlightenment's sake. They also have some
interesting things to say.  However, one does not want to speak for
anyone on these issues and I am niether African nor Rastafarian.  
These
two gentlemen should have their web sites politely contacted in
numbers,
I would say, by people of color, particularly Africans, in order to
reason with them on a host of issues.  Suggest you drop by those sites
and your readership.  Time is short, we all are concerned about what is
coming our way. Ambivelent to  Friendly demon (me) is trying to push
you
together - you are not being heard enough among the cage rattlers on
the
"alternative" media circuit.    Feel free to help me by posting this as
a response on your site for general viewing, as I am not sure how to do