Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:25:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 124 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Young Adults
| | |-+  Free Dixon Georgia Black leaders Say
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Free Dixon Georgia Black leaders Say  (Read 19174 times)
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« on: February 01, 2004, 08:49:38 PM »

A growing number of Black state legislators and civil rights leaders are urging the Georgia Supreme Court to overturn the conviction of Marcus Dixon, the 18-year-old Black Georgia high school football player, who is serving a 15-year sentence for having consensual sex with a 15-year-old White female classmate.

“Marcus Dixon is a modern-day Emmett Till,” an angry Rep. Tyrone Brooks, of the Georgia General Assembly, told BET.com Friday. “He was lynched by a judicial system in Floyd County – Rome – Georgia, by an overzealous prosecutor.  As president of the Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials, I can tell you that 100 percent of us are supporting the movement to free Marcus Dixon.”Advertisement

Initially, Assistant District Attorney McClellan had sought a rape conviction against Dixon, but the jurors rejected it.  Instead, they agreed on misdemeanor statutory rape.  “The jury said, ‘We’ll convict him of the misdemeanor, and he’ll get to go home today,” Brooks says.

But McClellan used a loophole, “bundling” the misdemeanor statutes with aggravated sexual assault statutes in order to stick Dixon with the 15-year sentence, 10 years of which he must serve behind bars before a five-year probationary period, Brooks says.

“The prosecutor abused a law designed to protect children from predators, says Brooks, who, ironically helped draft the legislation. “The intent of the law is good. Only one prosecutor since 1996 has abused it.  Marcus Dixon is not a predator; in this case, he is the victim of the judicial system.”

In fact, Dixon, an A-student and football star who had been granted a full scholarship to Vanderbilt University, is the first teen in Georgia history to be sentenced under a similar statute.  The Web site actforjustice.com, reports that “more than 35 states … have passed ‘Romeo and Juliet’ laws that have either decriminalized the behavior or minimized the offense to misdemeanor status for consensual teen-age relations.”

Says David Balser, an attorney with McKenna Long & Aldridge who is leading Dixon’s pro bono legal team: “No teen-ager should be serving 10 years in a state prison for having a consensual sexual encounter with someone in his own peer group. Regardless of one’s view of whether it is appropriate for teens to engage in voluntary relations, it is unethical to punish someone this severely for what even a jury found to be consensual behavior.”

Like Brooks, the Rev. Joseph Lowery, former president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, says that the race factor is impossible to ignore. Speaking at a recent candlelight vigil at a Georgia church, he likened Dixon’s case to those of countless other Black men who received cruel punishments after being accused of raping Whites.

"If it'd been a Black girl, nobody would give a damn," Lowery said.

McClellan and his boss, District Attorney Leigh E. Patterson, say that race has never been a factor in this case.

Brooks says he expects the Georgia Supreme Court to decide on the case within 90 days.

“Mr. Balser presented an eloquent case before the court,” Brooks says, “and I think there is compelling evidence for the court to overturn the conviction.  I believe the court will do the right thing.”

But Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue has not done the right thing, Brooks says, because he has let this sentence stand.

Loretta Lepore, the governor’s spokeswoman, says, however, that Perdue has no power of executive clemency or any authority to intervene in the Dixon case.

“That power rests with pardons and parole,” Lepore told BET.com. “The governor believes that the circumstances are tragic, but he does not have all the details.”

Brooks disagrees with the limited-power argument.

“As chief executive of this state, the governor can urge – and he should urge – the board of pardons and parole to commute the sentence or issue a full pardon,” Brooks says.  “All of the members of the board are appointed by the governor.  All he needs to do is to let them know that he believes there has been an abuse of the intent of the law, and they’d do it in a minute. He should use the moral force of his office to see that justice is done.”

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Poetic_Princess

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 08:56:56 PM »

Choose A Side: Did you think that Marcus Dixon's punishment fair?

In my opinon I don't think it is fair that an 18 yearold black male should have to be faced with such a fate and sentence seeing that the sex was consensual.
It just show how much the justice system lacks when it comes in terms of a black man being on trial and being from the south makes things even worse many says his fate was sealed since he, an African American living in the South, ignored an age-old truth: that White women are off-limits.

Race is a very big Issue in this case from my point of view.

What do you think? Was his punishment too harsh due to the fact he is black and the crime?

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 08:35:20 AM »

In support of your view I am just adding a comment.

The punishment is not fair and the legal system that allows for that should be challenged. Of course race played a heavy factor, and I might add to it jealousy. Black athletes and stars in general attract extreme jealousy, and blacks should be made aware of these racial issues from early. They should be better informed about the racist society they reside in or many would have to learn the hard way.  The drive for success should include taking deliberate steps to improve their awareness while challenging the system.
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 11:55:24 AM »

It isn't the "justice" system...It is the "Just us" system.  It will remain unfair until we Africans have self determination.

Forward to a united Africa!
Poetic_Princess

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 08:12:25 PM »

In your view Oshun even if we get self determination they will still try to beat us down and the system will still remain unfair u know why cause they despise a Black male making it to the top in either sports or any activity and our beautiful skin colour.that's just a fact aint no hiding from it.

ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

I am the living incarnation of my ancestors

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 04:34:38 PM »

What are our options? If the justice is un-just. If self determination is not the answer, then what are other options are left?
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

I am the living incarnation of my ancestors

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 04:41:29 PM »

Do you feel that this verdict was an indirect response to the O.J. Simpson verdict?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: