Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:53:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 85 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Young Adults
| | |-+  Nigeria's 'respectable' slave trade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nigeria's 'respectable' slave trade  (Read 18870 times)
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« on: April 19, 2004, 08:45:58 AM »

By Allan Little
BBC correspondent Nigeria

Trafficking in human beings" is a phrase guaranteed to cause a sharp intake of breath among listeners from the liberal and affluent and concerned West.

The view of trafficking in Nigeria is somewhat different. In fact, it is seen as an everyday part of West African life.

It starts with the promise of a better life.

The parents are taken in. The children are persuaded. When they leave home they do so willingly, with some excitement, not trepidation.

The trafficker has promised a good job, a schooling, a regular income. But that is not how it works out.

One young woman told me she was promised regular work in the Nigerian countryside.

Discernible shame

She found herself transported overland through the north of Nigeria, to Mali, then to Algeria, then Morocco.

From there she was smuggled into Spain, at night, in a small boat, and from there, on forged papers, into Italy by train.

They took her to a house in Turin where she lived with other girls, some, but not all, Nigerian like her, and under the control of a madam, also Nigerian.

She was put to work as a prostitute, something she speaks of now with a discernible shame.

After seven months she had earned enough money to pay off what she owed the traffickers for taking her in the first place.

The streets of Nigeria are teeming with trafficked children

When that debt was paid, her trafficker shopped her to the Italian immigration authorities and she was repatriated, home to Benin City, Nigeria with nothing to show for her ordeal.

There was a second young woman with a similar story.

Not yet out of her teens, her traffickers took her to Verona where she worked as a prostitute.

She spoke without shame. She spoke with anger.

"Just when I had paid off my debt," she said. "Just when I was about to start working for myself, the police caught me."

This is the pattern. The traffickers do not want their working girls setting up on their own, taking custom away from their girls.

Turnover - in human traffic - is everything.

Oil rich cities

Unicef estimates that human trafficking is more lucrative than any other trade in West Africa except guns and drugs.

The streets of Nigeria are teeming with trafficked children.

Of the hundreds of thousands of street kids living rough in Nigeria's oil rich cities, perhaps 40% have been bought and sold at some time.

The girls most frequently sold into domestic service, or prostitution, the boys into labour in plantations, or to hawk fruit and vegetables for 12-hours a day in an open air market.

Some work as washers of feet.

Human trafficking is one of the biggest industries in West Africa
In Nigeria children enter the labour market almost as soon as they can lift and carry.

We watched a skinny boy in a dust bowl of a quarry carrying stone blocks on his head ferrying them from where they were cut from the earth to where they were broken down into usable pieces for the construction industry.

He worked here alongside his heavily pregnant mother.

He earned 40p (70 US cents) a day, which his mother used to buy food for her five younger children.

The boy was nine-years-old and he had been working at the quarry since he was seven.

Unicef believe there are 15 million children working in exploitative labour in Nigeria.

It is a 21st century slave trade.

What is most striking is the tacit support that human trafficking enjoys at almost every level of society.

Trafficking has the tacit collaboration of the victims' own families

The Lagos middle class have a bountiful supply of house boys and house girls, brought from villages in the north by helpful aunts and uncles who pocket the cash and disappear.

No-one asks questions. No-one wants to know the answers.

For human trafficking is not something that happens on the criminal fringes of Nigerian society.

It is woven into the fabric of national life.

In Benin City, in the oil rich Edo state, east of Lagos, I met an articulate 15-year-old girl who said many of her friends had been trafficked.

"Their parents are involved," she said. "They say to the girls: 'Why don't you go with this man and work. We have no money, we have nothing to eat. You can send us money.' And so the girls go."

And that is the problem. That trafficking has the tacit collaboration of the victims' own families. That it is not seen as criminal activity at all but as a normal and even respectable way for a family of - say - seven or eight children to boost its meagre income.

Root cause

I have filmed for BBC television news in many countries of Africa over the last decade. But I have never had an Oscar winning Hollywood movie producer carry my tripod before.

David Puttnam - who made Chariots of Fire, Midnight Express, The Killing Fields - knows a lot about trafficking.

As president of Unicef UK he has seen it across Asia as well as in Africa.

What frustrates him here, in Nigeria, more than the poverty that is its root cause, is the attitude that accompanies it.

"Half of you feels sympathy," he told me.

"But the other half wants just to shake the people here and say look - this is a large, wealthy, powerful country.

"Put the structures in place. Develop some determination. And this exploitation of children could be tackled and Nigeria could be a really successful nation".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/3632203.stm

Children can either be an economic burden or an economic resource

What are everyone views on this issue

Can this be stopped or will it be left to continue and if it does what would be left of this great resource?

What would be of the future if they are continuously sold as piece of produce from a grocery market?

Instead of going forward we seem to be going backwards in some stages rewritting the tales of history with modern dates that is all it seems to be change of dates but same torture and torment.

When will our people be really free mentally and physically?

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 05:00:46 PM »

African people will never be free until we are organized. Without organization capitalism(whose forst exploit was slavery) and all of it's ugly symptoms will continue to strangel the so-called 3rd world.

Forward to a united Africa!
Sis Najuwah

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 02:46:53 PM »

Sad but I agree
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 11:49:32 AM »

It has become a global problem every day there is mention about SLAVERY on the news more and more even your next door neighbour could have a child slave in their house it is a growing problem and a heart wrenching one. One that has being happen for years and shows no intention of being stopped. Sad

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Erastas

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »

Greetings to the Most High Jah Ras Tafari

This very sad and it hurts to see humanity come to such a state.... People will say that this has been going on since to beginning of time....  That also hurts because I believe that if you offend human beings you offend the very nature of God.... There is no reason that the world can not offer food, clothing and shelter to those in need...... As much money is being spent on the Superbowl or NASA star war program or luxury liners....  There is a price to pay for those material goods.... Others must suffer....  It is the nature of the beast

Blessed be the peacemakers...
IslandPryde

Dreadhead straight out of the Caribbean.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 02:46:54 PM »

This very sad and it hurts to see humanity come to such a state.... People will say that this has been going on since to beginning of time....  That also hurts because I believe that if you offend human beings you offend the very nature of God.... There is no reason that the world can not offer food, clothing and shelter to those in need...... As much money is being spent on the Superbowl or NASA star war program or luxury liners....  There is a price to pay for those material goods.... Others must suffer....  It is the nature of the beast

The rest of the cares very little about us. You always see programs like Feed the Children, but what is realy being done to help? They label us as savages when they here things like this. They are simply waiting for us to destroy ourselves while they get fat off of the profits.

One day, man-kind will learn to appreciate one another. Pray to Jah that by then it wont be too late.
Poetical

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 04:51:16 PM »

The rest of the cares very little about us. You always see programs like Feed the Children, but what is realy being done to help? They label us as savages when they here things like this. They are simply waiting for us to destroy ourselves while they get fat off of the profits.

I'm sorry to disaggree with the second part of your post Islandpryde, but being ivorian (west africa) i believe that if Africa is to change, it's up to its people to do something and put an end to poverty, we have what it take to do so, we just need to make some sacrifices, like putting a halt to governement stealing the country's funds, or the "brains" fleeing their countroes for better life elsewhere (we need doctors and scientists TOO).  sure the "washidus" (the Fat eater) is taking advantage, but we don't have to destroy ourselves.
Practical example, people knowin about this human trafficking could sacrifice some of their time and go to poor remote places to tell people what really happens when they sell their children, others could educate people tellin them that the earth is rich and teachin them how to exploit it.
We need to be united too, because there is no point in one country being strong enough to tell the west that they won't sell their diamonds for less than whatv they are worth if the whites can go to the next door country and get what they need for the cheap price.
We have enough natural resources to be self relient, once we realize that we need to think of the good of the whole rather than our own selves... we will succed, we need to help one another.
imagine if we all accepted to have an international language like swahili, trade would be easier for us, without having to use english (it would strengthen us not to rely on the west in any way). Or if we would sell cheap our products to each other to ensure the wealth of our neighbors and but all aggree to selling it expensively to the west so we could get back what they stole from us.

i love my africa and all it's descendants but we can only do it if we put aside our differences, unite and organize ourselves.

Peace
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: