Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:01:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 60 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  AFRICA AND THE DIASPORA
| |-+  Nigeria
| | |-+  Caring for Nigeria's orphans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Caring for Nigeria's orphans  (Read 17271 times)
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« on: June 16, 2004, 10:03:59 PM »

About 15 babies are abandoned each day in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital. Many of them have disabilities. Tinubu was abandoned because he is blind and paralysed.

The Heart of Gold Children's Hospice and Orphanage in Lagos caters for these abandoned children, especially those who are terminally ill. Mrs Laja Adedoyin runs the home - she says other people's rejects are her treasures.

The babies are often left in gutters, canals or on the streets. Alone for days, some of the babies that arrive at the home have even been eaten by ants. Many die before they are rescued. Baby Fadeke was found in a market.

The abandoned babies are often found in pathetic conditions. Toby was tied in a sack and thrown into a canal. She was left with a broken rib cage. Almost two years later she is yet to recover from the trauma.

Sewa was to be adopted, but the couple changed their mind after a test showed she was HIV positive; she later turned out to be negative. Mrs Adedoyin says her case shows that not all adoptive parents have genuine love for them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/3810135.stm

These pictures say so many things, a picture is really worth a thousand words at least these ones, it was heart wrenching to actual read about people dumping children but it does happen.It just so sad to see those little kids go through such because of their parents not wanting them.
A child shows so much unconditional love

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
SELAM

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:34:32 AM »

such images really sadden my heart.

i thank Jah for the heart he has given me towards the children of Africa. i feel so much like a naiive child when i say this, but once i am financially established, i wanna open an orphanage in an African country. it seems almost impossible now. but, once i'm done with schooling & have saved up enough money, with Jah's help i will make it happen.

peace.

Until the colour of a man's skin is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: