Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:27:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Spirituality (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Eshu/Exu/Legba/Elegua
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Eshu/Exu/Legba/Elegua  (Read 22033 times)
Oshun_Auset

« on: June 22, 2004, 12:21:43 PM »

I will whisper your name
on the winds of each new sun
to carry my prayers to you
and you
mischief maker
lord of chance
will place my words
at the feet of
oludumare…

by Adesanya Alakoye
reprinted from Tell Me How Willing Slaves Be
(Washington, D.C.: Energy BlackSouth Press, 1976)

Eshu/Exu/Legba/Elegua...he opens the door for us to the Orisha/Lwa/Spirits....keeper of the crossroads...

Statue of Legba from Benin, Africa. Dahomey

The Veve symbol for the Lwa Legba Haiti

The Orisha Llegua statues of Santaria and Lucumi

Dance Staff for the Orisha Eshu Nigeria. Yoruba.

The Orixa Exu of Brazil. Bahia

Forward to a united Africa!
OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 01:08:21 PM »

in the west we say that there are seveal "roads" of Esu. In Africa there is 256 to be exact. One for every Odu. Each Esu functions in a similiar manner but has its own variance, and special jobs towards humanity.

When we have the determination to restrain our lower desires, the door is opened for us to fulfill our highest aspirations.
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 01:54:26 PM »

Papa Legba opens the way for all loas to come in our lives ! He is the first and the last in the market place (cosmos) ! He is my met tet loa, (spiritual guide) along with Mpungo Ogun, so I had to give respect to papa Legba in this thread.

Besides, he is the met tet loa/orixa/mpungo for everyone because he is the guardian of the crossroads.The Greek designated him "Hermes". Bottom line the original Hermes is LEGBA ! So IMO we must call upon Legba not Hermes or "Jesus" to create again in Africa, the mother of all civilizations, the beginning of a new civilization that will ashtonish the world and bring peace to humanity.

Good post sister Two Thumbs.  

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 03:13:53 PM »

Alafia,

Glad you liked it Sister. It was my attempt at openning the crossroads for the Eggun and Eggungun(ancestors and diefied ancestors) as well as the Orishas/Loas to work with this site. Eshu and 1 of his pathways/roads Legba must be called upon first.

Here is a Brazillian representation of Exu since the old photo/link is down...

Hopefully the masses of us stolen Africans in the West(mainly from West Africa) will get back to our traditional ways of veneration one day...

Odabo

Mo fi sin Olorun
Mo fi sin Eggungun
Mo fi sin Eggun

Forward to a united Africa!
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 01:42:17 AM »

All traditional African spiritualists have their own "Legba," but we agree its symbolism serve our progress in the world Smiley. Echu/Exu/Legba/Eleggua/Nkuo is a great warrior, without him we cannot defeat our enemies! Unfortunately, the majority of black African people have "lost" Legba. I mean, he is not their messenger anymore, so they are neglected by the gede (ancestral spirits) and the loas/orishas. They are those who speak of Christian and Islamic morals, and strayed in the abomination of the Gods of Africa.. Alas, sister they don't care, they continue to be on wrong side of Legba  Sad..

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and prayers.

B.K  

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: