Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:29:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 75 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  AFRICA AND THE DIASPORA
| |-+  Haiti
| | |-+  Death toll in Haiti rises to 600
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Death toll in Haiti rises to 600  (Read 25630 times)
Ayinde
Ayinde

« on: September 21, 2004, 12:43:34 AM »

The death toll in Haiti has risen to about 600 after Tropical Storm Jeanne triggered floods as it swept across the island of Hispaniola over the weekend, officials said on Monday.

Some 500 people were killed in the northern town of Gonaives, said Toussaint Kongo-Doudou, spokesperson for the United Nations Stabilisation Mission in Haiti.

Another 56 people were killed in the town of Port de Paix in the northwest.

Haitian authorities have declared the entire flood zone a disaster area, after Jeanne drenched the island of Hispaniola on Friday and on Saturday, leaving 80 percent of Gonaives under water.

http://iafrica.com/news/worldnews/348504.htm
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 11:21:38 PM »

Is this incident getting more coverage in the American mainstream press? Or there is more a lack of attention and selective outrage? Thus far it seems that the interest in seemingly "relevant" tragedy has been limited to westerners held hostage in Iraq and 2 have been killed.. Sure, white Britons and Americans are victims and are going through atrocities in war zones in Iraq. But, I am actually more appalled, angered, upset, affected that Haitian families were killed en masse like this, and a shockingly small minority of the world's media cares. Am I being immoral?

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 05:30:15 PM »

Disaster relief operations are underway in Haiti, where about 700 people were killed and at least 1,000 are missing in flooding spawned by Tropical Storm Jeanne.

Unidentified, bloated bodies are stacked inside morgues, and the slowly receding floodwaters are revealing additional corpses buried in the mud. Officials believe many others were swept out to sea.

Official estimates are that at least 160,000 Haitians have been left homeless.

Relief crews are finding it difficult to travel roads submerged by water or packed with mud. The U.N.'s World Food Program has sent a convoy of 12 trucks with supplies to the hard-hit city of Gonaives, and officials hope to start handing out food and medicine Wednesday.

Full Article : voanews.com
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 02:52:02 PM »

This is abominable  Sad. Cuba was hit by a Hurricane (Ivan) and yet the lost of lives was basically zero. Castro had his people out of the danger zone. Now let's take a look at what just happened in Haiti. Jeanne the tropical storm barely touched this country and yet over 1000 people have already lost their lives!!! Which leads me to wonder what were the fake patriotic, the Uncle Tom, the fat Latortues, the puppet name Boniface Alexendre, and all their illusionary gangs doing?? They are all too busy to tell the people of Gonaives to evacuate and seek shelter just now. This is a real shame!

The pathetic and mortified result of Haiti's chronic social and political mismanagement has been that of a holocaust of 1000 people, and all have perished vainly after the passage of a mere natural storm! The Haitian government could have provided information of this geologic hazard and the Haitian people could have most likely avoided this catastrophe. With information, the Haitian people could have massively evacuated the zones that were most menaced by Jeanne.

The latest papers written by geologist and the most up to date findings of meteorologists are obtainable with just the touch of a finger on the Internet! With this instant avaibility, numerous published predications of catastrophic events are made. Therefore, there is no justification, no rationalization, no explanation for letting a tropical storm sacrificing cruelly that many human beings!! We are not living in the middle Ages, where one would have to rely on the psychic or prognosticator self-proclaimed "wizard" to know about the secrets of metrology, its changing situation or events. The Haitian state and its bureaucratic apparatus is really incompetent, viciously nauseating, and typically the description of a failed government Angry!

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 11:48:37 AM »

Is there anything that InI can do in the States to help out? Are there any rescue missions that take supplies to Haiti? I make blankets, is there a place I could take them so they could get to Haiti?

InI I hang on in there....InI I no leggo!!!! (So JAH Seh)
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 02:33:24 PM »

Is there anything that InI can do in the States to help out? Are there any rescue missions that take supplies to Haiti? I make blankets, is there a place I could take them so they could get to Haiti?

This is what I could find on the internet. I will ask people from the local Haitian community this weekend for other relief organizations.

Relief for Haiti and other parts of the Carribean hit with hurricanes.

• The Rev. Luc Francois, First Haitian Baptist Church of Palmetto, welcomes donations that will be provided to Haitian storm victims. Reach him at 723-9541.

Clothes, money, food, and shoes are being requested.

• The Haitian Relief Task Force is calling for donations of batteries, flashlights, first aid kits, dry goods, rice, beans, flour, salt and medication for Haiti. Donations can be made at the following sites:

St. Paul of the Martyrs of Haiti, 305-758-8546, 6744 N. Miami Ave., Miami

Georges William Enterprises, 305-576-7768, 4584 NE Second Ave., Miami

Haitian Woman of Miami office, 305 756 8080, 8320 NE Second Ave., Miami.

Any Bank of America branch

For further information on making donations, visit fanm.org and hagcoalition.freehosting.net.

• Food for the Poor: To make a donation to Haiti relief efforts: www.foodforthepoor.org, 550 SW 12th Ave. Deerfield Beach, FL 33442, or call 800-487-1158.

• Catholic Charities: Checks may be made out to Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Miami with a notation designating the donation to Hurricane Relief: Catholic Charities Hurricane Relief, 9401 Biscayne Blvd., Miami Shores, FL 33138; call Vicky Rezola at 305-762-1323.

• Operation Helping Hands: Visit www.unitedwaymiami.org to make an online contribution, or send a check to Operation Helping Hands, c/o United Way of Miami-Dade, P.O. Box 459007, Miami, FL 33245.

• American Red Cross: Call 800-HELP-NOW or visit www.redcross.org.

• MORE ONLINE: Go to www.herald.com for full list of agencies collecting cash donations or supplies.

• The Grenada Cultural and Civic Association is collecting donations at the Amcar freight, 7850 NW 80th St., No. 2, in Medley. Online donations can be made at www.vob929.com.

• The Jamaica Consulate General is accepting checks to help victims in Jamaica. For more information, call 305-374-8431.

Haitian disaster in pictures...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6004150/

Forward to a united Africa!
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 02:37:47 PM »

Several of us are working through local agencies that are shipping goods and personnel to different countries that were most affected by these disasters. Try to find out what is being done in your country.

There are a few Haitians around these sites who can probably give details on the more reputable Haitian agencies to work with.
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 01:16:48 AM »

Thanks for the info Oshun Auset!  Let's keep them coming...

A list of 20 and more Humanitarian Organizations are working in the disaster region. Contact those of interest and ask what, where, when and how they are collecting. If you want to make a donation by check or money order, for whichever organization you choose to send the money, be sure to write on the check or money order "Haiti", "Haiti Aid", "Haiti Emergency Aid" or "Haiti Floods". Right now I read the more urgent needs are for drinking water and monetary support inquire with the organizations!

http://www.usaid.gov/environment/hurricane/ivan_ngolist.html

Check StormCarib people post ways to help there:
http://help.stormcarib.com/read.php?f=23&i=1&t=1

Red Cross online donation.
http://www.ifrc.org/helpnow/donate/donate_response.asp - (chose "Caribbean: hurricane Jeanne" on the form)

Embassy of the Republic of Haiti in Washington press release
http://www.haiti.org/general_information/pr_092104.htm

World concern org
http://www.worldconcern.org/html/Donate.cfm - (give online, donate for "Haiti emergency relief")

Oxfam America
http://www.oxfamamerica.org/emergency/art7296.html

Freedom From Hunger org
http://www.freefromhunger.org/help.html - (donate for haiti)

B.K

Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 01:18:16 AM »

My sincere condolences to all Haitians!

B.K

Oshun_Auset

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 04:03:28 PM »

CONTRIBUTIONS FROM NY
(FOR MIAMI AND BOSTON, SEE BELOW)

- KOMBITE GONAIVIEN
- ALLIANCE GONAIVIENNE
- ASSOCIATION DES ANCIENS DU COLLEGE
IMMACULEE CONCEPTION DES GONAIVE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE SEPTEMBER 2004

DISASTER RELIEF

Our heartfelt sympathies and thoughts go to the families of the people who died and all those affected by the recent flood in Gonaives, Haiti.

In an effort to help relieve the ensuing damages, effective immediately, Kombite Gonaivien, Alliance Gonaivienne, and the "Association des Anciens du College Immaculee Conception des Gonaives", are co-sponsoring a Disaster Relief Drive.

At this time, we are primarily collecting money. Please make your donations to KOMBITE GONAIVIEN RELIEF FUND.

Drop off locations:

3524 Avenue H, Brooklyn NY 11210

1653 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11212 – 718-345-7266

HAUP - 221-05 Linden Blvd. Cambria Heights, NY 11411 – 718-527-3776.

Donations will be accepted between 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM at all three locations.

For more information, please call 718-345-7266.
======================

RockMasters Entertainment presents to you this picture of despair and hopes that it will motivates you to support the organizations above and below.

Displaced Haitians cried as they waited to get into a garden of the Saint Charles church to receive water and bread in Gonaives

============================================

DROP OFF SITES FOR MIAMI, FLORIDA

IF YOU ARE WRITING CHECKS
MAKE THEM OUT TO AMERICAN RED CROSS IN THE MEMO PUT HAITIAN RELIEF FUNDS SEND TO RED CROSS AT 335 SW 27TH AVENUE, MIAMI, FLORIDA 33135.

IF YOU ARE SENDING WATER, FLASHLIGHTS, SNEAKERS, WALKING SHOES (CLOSE SHOES), CLOTHES, BLANKETS, COMFORTERS, SHEETS, CANNED FOOD AND CAN OPENERS(MANUAL), CANDLES , MATCHES, PLASTIC COVERS, BOWLS POTS AND PANS, FIRST AID KITS.

DROP OFF SITES:
ELITE SHIPPING 311 NE 59 STREET-9-5PM WEEKDAYS/10-1PM SATURDAYS
RADIO CARNIVALE 185 NE 84STREET- 10-7PM WEEKDAYS
ST.PAUL CHURCH 6744 NORTH MIAMI AVENUE- 9AM-7PM
SMC MORTGAGE 10300 SUNSET DRIVE SUITE 411 BUT CALL CARL AT:
305-279-7181

ALL COUNTY FIRE STATIONS, TEAM METRO, LIBRARIES...

==========================================

DROP OFF SITES MASSACHUSETTS & Haiti
(Eritaj Foundation)

Dear Friend,

The people of Gonaives need your help! In light of the recent hurricane, more than 650 families are left without loved ones, clean water, food and a roof to call their own. I know how many times a year you are called upon for help. I can readily appreciate the strains in your budget. But, this is a crucial national problem which requires national attention and action.

The victims of the hurricane must be aided. This is a cause that merits our generous support, our most devoted effort. I, therefore urge you to send a generous contribution to Eritaj Foundation, eritajfoundation@msn.com, a 501 C3 organization.

In this time of great needs to the people of Gonaives, the primary function of Eritaj Foundation would be to fill the gap in services not provided by other organizations. Eritaj Foundation is based in Boston and Haiti. The organization is chaired by Gonaivians and is in position to better understand the need of the people and to help the people of Gonaives, secure food, shelter, clothings, medicine and a good place in which to live.

Please help! Send your contributions to:

Mirlande Butler, MSW Eritaj Foundation Inc. Partnerships for a Better Haiti 98 Avenue Lamartiniere, en face de l'Institut Francais, PauP Haiti 509 210-0508
or
Mirlande Butler, MSW Eritaj Foundation Inc. Partnerships for a Better Haiti 73 Union Avenue Framingham, MA 01702

www.eritajfoundation.org eritajfoundation@msn.com

(508)620-1424

Thank you for your cooperation.

Oshun_Auset

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 01:29:10 PM »

I recieved this e-mail....

THE HUMANITY OF PAN AFRICANISTS

Do Pan Africanists have any humanity or are they just a bunch of talkers unconcerned at the human welfare level? How do they manifest this concern? What are the Pan Africnists and Pan African Organisations doing to help the suffering Africans who have been victims of Hurricanes in the Caribbean?

Here is something practical thay they can contribute to. This is an email I received from one of my relatives who visited Grenada.

"I had an opportunity to go to Grenada. It is unbelievable. Your imagination will never do you justice if you had never seen destruction of that magnitude. I was astounded."

Lester Lewis

------------------------------------

AN APPEAL FOR GRENADA BY OFARIA AUGSTINE

HELP TO PURCHASE A 12,000-WATT GENERATOR FOR GRENADA

In the wake of the devastation of Grenada by Hurricane Ivan, the Ghanaian born Pan Africanist Ofaria Augustine, wife of the former Grenada High Commissioner to London Fennis Augustine (deceased), has made an appeal to Pan Africanists and Africans everywhere to assist Grenada.

The Claudia Jones Organisation (UK) and the Hackney Black Peoples Association (UK) set up a Joint Caribbean Appeal for Grenada and Jamaica in the wake of the damage done by Hurricane Ivan. Haiti has now been included in the Appeal in the wake of the almost 2,000 deaths caused by Hurricane Jeanne.

We offered to buy a small Generator costing £510.00 for St. Patricks in Grenada. Mrs. Augustine has appealed for a 10-000 watt Generator for a Health Clinic in St. Patricks that is now operating as a mini-hospital. We have pledged to raise the necessary funds to purchase and ship this Generator to Grenada.

This is a 12,000-watt, three phase, 12.5 KVA, slow running (1500 rpm), 415 volt, 60 HTZ Generator (see: www.generators.co.uk ).

This Generator costs £5,895.00 plus Value Added Tax of £1.031.62, making a total of £6,926.62.

We re appealing to Pan Africanists and Africans everywhere to make a donation towards he costs of purchasing and shipping this Generator to Grenada.

If you wish to make a donation, please send an email to: hbpa1981@yahoo.co.uk.

Please note that Ofaria Augustine can be contacted on:

001 473 444 8244 or 001 473 442 7427.

We have also pledged to send a container of food to Grenada every month for the next six months. Agriculture has been wiped out. If the people are not fed, they will die of starvation.

Lester Lewis

Chairman
Hackney Black peoples Association.

UNTO THINE OWN SELF, BE TRUE.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: