Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:32:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  African Latino's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: African Latino's  (Read 14558 times)
Africanprince

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« on: September 08, 2004, 07:07:06 PM »

Last weekend in LA Nigeria was playing Honduras in soccer, at the end of the game I had a chance to chop it up with the Honduras players and they were all claiming to be Africans which made me feel good. They got mad when someone made a comment to themthat they weren't Africans one said "I'm African, I'm black that is where I'm from" I was like  Grin

I forgot what they said in its entirety but I was shocked that they were very proud of there African roots.

That isn't common with most Afro-Latino's eh?

Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 10:52:56 PM »

That's not a tricky question. Officially, a minority Latinos with some African ancestry self-identify "black" (negroid) people. However, a far larger number admit having some direct African ancestry. In Latin America many "blacks" having substantial European ancestry live socially and practically as white people.

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 01:31:55 PM »

Last weekend in LA Nigeria was playing Honduras in soccer, at the end of the game I had a chance to chop it up with the Honduras players and they were all claiming to be Africans which made me feel good. They got mad when someone made a comment to themthat they weren't Africans one said "I'm African, I'm black that is where I'm from" I was like  Grin

I forgot what they said in its entirety but I was shocked that they were very proud of there African roots.

That isn't common with most Afro-Latino's eh?

The fact they were claiming "African" as an identity was good and a leap forward in ideology, especially for people from the "Latin Americas". For them to actually say they were from Africa...claiming it as their homeland, rather than just identifying with micro-nationalism and saying they were "from" Honduras means they must have some pretty advanced ideological training going on in Honduras. Many African/Black people in the former Spanish/Portuguese colonies would never say they are actually "from" Africa, although they may identify as Black. They wouldn't make the qualitative ideological leap to identifying with their continent of origin. Thanks for posting this, it brings a smile to my face also. I will have to tell fellow Pan-Africansists about this one. Grin  

Forward to a united Africa!
Africanprince

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 09:53:46 PM »

They were really representing Africa which was fantastic to me. They were so defensive it was not even funny, I actually thought one was about to slap the guy that said that to them.

A few weeks ago my friend Francis and his Ghanaian church in LA went to Mexico to do some services in a Mexican town called Encinada (sp). As he was walking down the road a young black kid approaches him and says,

"I saw you playing the Congas at church, are you from Africa?"

my friend replied "Yes I'm from Ghana"

the boy then said "I'm African too, that is where my family comes from.  My dad is Jamaican and my mom is a Afro mexican but we're all Africans"

My friend Francis said he was speecheless and got emotional when the young 13 yr old boy wanted to talk African politics with him. The boy wanted to talk about African news like Mugabe, and Nigeria's mis-management of Oil.  The kid was especially asking about AIDS statistics and if it was true, and who does the research etc.

He said he gave the boy his Kente scarf as well as other African items he brought with him on the trip.

Matter of fact that day the local news interviewed him and he said he talked about the boy the whole interview. I'll have to find if it was also in the newspaper, if so I'll get it from him and scan his interview.
Oshun_Auset

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 09:44:15 AM »

Africanprince,

Please get it if you can...This is wonderful! I will have to share this also...You have created another smile with this post! Grin I love to hear about our people moving forward ideologically!

Forward to a united Africa!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: