Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:16:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 82 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  WORLD HOT SPOTS
| |-+  Around the World (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  A Wave of Questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A Wave of Questions  (Read 25465 times)
kristine

RastaSpeaks .com

« on: December 29, 2004, 05:57:39 PM »

What Did the US Know and When Did It Know It?

A Wave of Questions

By MICKEY Z.

How does one comprehend the magnitude, impact, and context of a disaster that may claim more than 100,000 lives? But enough about the U.S. occupation of Iraq...

The recent earthquake/tsunami in Asia raises more questions than answers.

Here's a start:

What's the political context of the disaster?

Reports on the Asian tsunami typically ignore the crucial political back stories in volatile areas like Aceh and Sri Lanka...and how "aid" efforts will be exploited for geo-political gain. Without such context, the coverage is woefully incomplete and irresponsible. Today, Democracy Now did delve deeper into the situation in Aceh...the military repression, the role of Exxon-Mobil, and now the earthquake/tsunami. Do some research and see for yourself.

Is the U.S. stingy?

Even if we were to trust the estimates of $1 billion in aid eventually coming from the U.S., that number pales in comparison to the tens of billions being spent in Iraq to keep the world safe for petroleum. At this writing, the U.S. has spent an average of $9.5 million every hour on the war and occupation of Iraq. In a global sense, the U.S. spends $1 million dollars a minute on war...a percentage of which helps create Third World poverty and the inability to deal with natural disasters.

Why was there no warning?

There was warning. Here's how the folks at Democracy Now describe what happened: "Within minutes of the tsunami forming on Sunday, U.S. officials at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii began tracking the waves. But the scientists claimed they had no one to contact in the Indian Ocean region about the possible danger. One exception was the British-owned island of Diego Garcia that houses a major US Naval base. The Independent of London reports that U.S. officials in Hawaii did warn Diego Garcia about the possible tsunami and the island suffered no major damage."

Could any of the affected countries done anything?

It might have helped if U.S. scientists in Hawaii hadn't initially calculated the earthquake at a magnitude of 8.0 (ten times weaker than in actuality). "Based on it being an 8.0, we assumed the damage would be confined to Sumatra and would be a local tsunami event," said Charles McCreery, director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, "one that strikes shore within minutes of the event." But even so, we must never forget that profits outweigh people. An official in Thailand's meteorology department told the Guardian of London, "A proper warning was not given. If we had given the warning and then it hadn't happened, then it would have been the death of tourism in those areas."

Will it happen again? Can it happen here?

As I sit here in New York, with a fault line running across 125th St., I need only remember that 200 million years ago the earth was one gigantic continent.

Where does this disaster rank for that area?

The continent of Asia is no stranger to natural events like this. A 1942 hurricane in Bengal, India killed 40,000. A 1970 cyclone Bangladesh claimed 300,000 lives. Going back to 1556, 830,000 died in an earthquake in Shaanxi, China. August 1931 saw China's Huang He River flood and kill 3,700,000.

As for man-made disasters, Hurricane Lyndon helped kill 1,000,000 or so in Indonesia in 1965. Hurricanes Ike, Jack, Lyndon, and Dick wrecked havoc throughout Southeast Asia for decades...with millions upon millions dead. We can't forget Hurricanes Gerald and Jimmy...responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths in East Timor in the late 70s. The list goes on and on.

How can I help?

If you're trying to figure out a way to help but do not want your dollars sucked into a huge bureaucracy, you can help the Indonesian area of Aceh via the East Timor Action Network.

Another way to help (in a more abstract manner) is to see past the corporate media coverage of the tragedy and educate yourself on the deeper issues. The more we know about the world, the harder it is to fool us. Donate at the link given above. Donate...then educate, agitate, and demonstrate.

Here in the U.S., we can't honestly say we haven't been warned...

http://www.counterpunch.org/mickey12292004.html
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 06:59:35 AM »

If you're trying to figure out a way to help but do not want your dollars sucked into a huge bureaucracy

So do you think we should donate our money to local Human Rights and/or Humanitarian organizations? How can we (blacks) help the best we can to extend aid to the flood victims in East Africa.. not just in Asia?

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
kristine

RastaSpeaks .com

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 07:37:38 AM »

What was quoted to have been written by me was actually part of the article written by Mickey Z. I do not feel I am the best person to advise Blacks (or anyone for that matter) on what agencies to support.

There was another link with that article, here it is for further research.

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/29/161219
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 10:39:37 AM »

Breakdown of quake, tsunami death toll
At least 114,758 people were killed in 11 countries in southern Asia and Africa from Sunday's massive earthquake and tsunami waves, according to official figures. A breakdown of the toll so far:
Full Article @ seattlepi.nwsource.com
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 10:43:29 AM »

India's last active volcano, in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, has erupted in the aftermath of the huge earthquake that set off tsunamis killing thousands of people, official sources said on Thursday.

People have been evacuated from Barren Island since the eruption began on Tuesday night and there were no reports of injury.

Lava was flowing out of the rim of the crater which towers above the Indian Ocean some 500 metres away, the sources said.

Full Article @ iafrica.com
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 02:14:39 PM »

Kristine if you can't answer some questions about the articles you post, so why you keep posting in this black message baord anyway?

B.K

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
kristine

RastaSpeaks .com

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 03:23:32 PM »

It is quite simple. I post what I am interested in posting according to the rules of the site. To date I have yet to see where it is board policy to have to explain or articulate why or what motivates one to post various articles. In fact I would suggest it is done either to increase awareness about the subject from the author's point of view, or to invite others to share their knowledge. I do not make it a habit of telling anyone Black or White where or how to use money for whatever reason, and I also do not consider what I choose to support open for public scrutiny.

Maybe you could consider what the article itself suggests. "Another way to help (in a more abstract manner) is to see past the corporate media coverage of the tragedy and educate yourself on the deeper issues. The more we know about the world, the harder it is to fool us."
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 03:31:45 PM »

Kristine, don't hide behind the policy of this message board. I am sure if you wanted to answer my questions you could. You are taking this "I am a white person minding my own business" way too far. You posting articles you deem valuable on this baord equals to you giving your opinions I hope you realize that.

B.K

kristine

RastaSpeaks .com

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 04:48:35 PM »

I would hardly call staying within the policies of the site, hiding behind them.

Since my response does not seem to answer your question, perhaps you can offer the better response you had/have in mind.

You said: "posting articles you deem valuable on this baord equals to you giving your opinions."

I seriously doubt anyone that posts articles here meets these requirements. I may agree in part or whole with any article I post. I have explained my motivation.

I said, I do not think it is my place to tell anyone which organization to support, but it seems you want me to lie or be a hypocrite to satisfy you. It seems you are trying to turn the article "Wave of Questions" about the Tsunami to a wave of questions about me.

Why this unnecessary attempt to pick a fight?
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 06:56:01 AM »

Why this over emotionalism Kristine? Why do you think I want to pick up a fight with you?  Do you think I can't get my points without this attitude? You keep posting in a black message board yet you claim you don't qualify to state anything here. I don't believe any of the things you say. If you are truly sincere about letting blacks mind their own business I suggest you quit posting on this board just like Iyah360 did, and it make perfect sense if you attempt to let blacks express themselves in every ways.

This thread didn't degenerated believe me.

B.K

kristine

RastaSpeaks .com

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 10:07:14 AM »

Are you for real!  

Let me say, I don’t have to account to you for my presence on these boards. I don’t even have to respond to your posts or answer any of your questions.  

I hesitate or do not discuss anything with you in any exchange because I see how you use generalizations to belittle the efforts of A FEW who are actually doing better on the boards, once they do not agree with you. I see your abuse of generalizations is not directed to whites alone, but also to Blacks who take the higher road of disagreeing with your distortions on these boards. Thank Heavens supporting Africa and Black causes does not mean I have to agree with or please Bantu Kelani.  

I know where my best help comes from.
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 10:28:06 AM »

That's exactly the answer I expected from you. You have no opinion, so you act like you have nothing to say to blacks. Keep coping and pasting articles that's what you do better than trying to show how bold or aware you are. You don't have to account to me on anything so why you keep responding to me? Please be consistent lol.

B.K

kristine

RastaSpeaks .com

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 10:41:49 AM »

Here you go again laughing at your own misunderstanding, caught up in your habit of distortion. I said I don't have to respond to you, that does not mean I will not.

By the way, that was a lame way to bait someone for a fight.

I know where my best help comes from.
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 11:00:32 AM »

I'm not even fighting you. I can possibly fight with you...you would have to have excellent discourse for me to do that  Worried 2. Peace.

B.K

Yann

Ayanna's Roots

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 11:57:48 AM »

I have been observing this thread, waiting to see where it was going (if anywhere), as I could not understand why an event of such global significance was diverted in such a manner. We have been trying to give people as much information as possible as we are aware that television news coverage appears to differ and others may not have access to certain bits of information.

But after this unnecessary display I have to say that Kelani with all due respect, (and this is not about defending Kristine per se), your discourse here comes over as a poor and disgusting attempt to pick a fight with another poster. It also seems to be an effort to cover up or compensate for your failed attack on the posts of Patriot Warrior on the other message board. Kristine was quite plain and clear in her reasons for not giving an opinion on people giving financial aid. And you know very well that any response she may have given there you would have found some way to fault it, as that was the entire point of you asking the question in the first place.  

We had a big discussion on this board at one time about whites telling Blacks whom to support and what agencies to fund, so I don't see how that simple response was not enough for you.  

Contrary to what you may think you have NO right to suggest that anyone leave this board. That is out of place. You do not have a monopoly on black issues, or how ones should show their support, either publicly or privately.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: