Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:10:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 124 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Young Adults
| | |-+  Klansmen Rally on Louisville College Campus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Klansmen Rally on Louisville College Campus  (Read 15692 times)
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« on: January 12, 2005, 05:53:24 PM »

By Tracy L. Scott, BET.com Staff Writer

When activist and author Sister Souljah visited the University of Louisville last year, a White local radio host spoke out against her views and suggested that racist hate groups, such as the Ku Klux Klan, have an equal right to say their piece.

“Eventually the Klan showed up,” said Ede Warner, a professor at the university. The group has since held three rallies on university grounds and distributed fliers around the campus.

According to Warner, the Klan is demanding to be paid what Souljah was paid to address the students. “They wanted to be called a diversity initiative,” Warner told BET.com.

While Warner and Black students at the school have argued that the Klan should be banned from the campus in the same way that terrorist organizations, such as Al Qaeda would be banned, the group stands behind its First Amendment rights.

“This is not a free speech issue. It’s a safety issue,” Warner said. However, university officials do not seem to agree.

When Klan members began to appear on the university campus this fall, Black students fought to have them restricted. They also wanted the university to sever ties with the radio station that instigated the Klan’s involvement. Warner said he has argued his point with university officials, but that they have not attempted to ban the Klan from the campus. “I’ve made my point to university officials. I’ve left the ball in their court to go further,” he said.

Warner is concerned about the climate on the campus and the safety of students. “I recruit young Black students from New York, D.C., Chicago . . . I’m bringing people’s children here, and you got the Klan walking around this campus,” said Warner, who has received Klan literature and phone calls from members at his home.

Warner compared the Klan to a terrorist organization. “Their [terrorists’] moves are moves of intimidation. Why is this any different?”

“It’s very subtle. It’s not direct. It’s not ‘we’re gonna hurt you.' It’s ‘we’re going to send you some fliers to remind you what we’re about.’ They’ve put me on some Web sites,” said Warner, who did not contact the police about the literature left at his home.

“I live in a predominantly Black neighborhood, but the Klan has threatened to take it over,” Warner said. “A group of White extremists have a house a block from me. Five were charged with murder this summer.”

While there have not been any reported instances of violence so far, Warner said he is also concerned that the Black students -- which make up about 13 percent of the 22,000 student body -- will eventually take matters into their own hands.

“There have been students who have said if the university won’t protect us, we’ll protect ourselves, but for the most part students stay away,” Warner said.

“If something goes wrong, and some of our students are involved, they will be demonized for being the aggressor,” Warner said. “It won’t be that it was bad the Klan was on the campus, it will be about the lack of restraint by our Black students. It’s too bad because I think it could be prevented.”

Warner said, “Maybe they’ll just get bored and go away,” but he admits that it’s not a risk worth taking. “I’m not trying to be a martyr. I’m trying to move.”

http://www.bet.com/WebApplications/betRoot/Templates/Posting_ArticlePrintFriendly.aspx?{3692D8F0-AC94-4F5B-AD0E-5DA69B601FFC}

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 03:19:31 PM »

If the Klan has "free speech" then we also should have "free speech". So if the Black students on that campus get together and tie up those Klansmen and douse them with gasoline and light their donkeys on fire, to me that should be considered free speech.
Black students shouldn't wait for the university to do anything, or worry about being seen as "aggressors", the only language people like the Klan understand is violence, the more extreme the better. Burn them alive.
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 10:10:59 PM »

I couldn't have agreed with you more Gman i dont see no one benefiting from this than the Klan it self, A stop should be made to this, the Klan should just be burnt they bring no joy r happiness, All they bring are racial slurs and war.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Jahari Gamba

Amani na uhuru, nguva ya weusi!

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 03:28:27 AM »

Are there any radical black movements to oppose them??..Nah..i think the COINTELPRO eradadicated that..
well let's start our own "COINTELPRO"..EACI..-Eradicate All CraKKKa Influences..
Also..i guess if they use the n-word..it wont be a problem huh??
Black people sit down and listen to Eminem use it..i think it would be very much appreciated if they use it too... Confused

I guess they will have to start lynching us again for us to get up and do something.. Hanged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: