Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:08:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Relationships and Gender Issues (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Loving a rastaman?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Loving a rastaman?  (Read 44786 times)
green

Roots

« on: February 14, 2005, 01:55:36 PM »

Hello! My first time on the baord. I am not Rastafarian, but known Rastas for some years, but honestly do not know all that much about the culture. Hence the name "green" representing my lack of worldly culture and inexperience. I realize I am naive, so please bare with me.

I am recently falling for a Rastaman, and I fear that I am going to say things to offend. I don't know him very well yet, but his eyes, they say so much. SO inviting, so warm, when he looks at me, I can feel he sees past my physical form. He looks deep into my soul.

WHat is an intimate relationship like with a Rastafarian? What sort of self awareness should I have?

I am beginning to read more about the culture , ofcourse I want to understand his way of life more than the little I know. I am finding out things that I feel ashamed for, that my people did in history. I understand that race, color where your from does not matter to Rastas, but I am feeling ashamed for  what my ancestors did. THe more I read, the more I doubt if I am worthy to consider being with him. I know I will undoubtably learn a lot from him, but am I ready for this life changing path I am about to forego.

Do you have any advice for this naive girl who wants to follow her heart?

Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 08:02:51 AM »

Greetings Green
Firstly let me be frank there is no hand book for loving a RastaKingman or even a Man who is not of the faith,
For you to understand him and understand some of his struggles as a RastaKing you and him must beable to teach oneanother about your lives, he must teach you about his culture and you in him,honestly you must find in yourself if you feel worthy to be at his side, and also you must care yourself with pride be proud of yourself,respect yourself and him and he will you as well.
that as much as i can say for now but i can assure the Brethrens and Sistrens on this board will help you.

Hotep

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Empress_Zauditu_Ariel-YAH

Roots

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 11:42:40 PM »

Greetings Green,
I must say that as I read your post and how you mentioned the Rase's eyes, my heart was warmed.  An indication that you are speaking with sincerity. You see, the warmth of a King's eyes is something that is undervalued, and rather goes unnoticed to those who are not of the movement.  I smile because as a lion he look deep within you to see that which you are unwilling or unable to expose to him.  You are woman, and Yah has given him inisght into your essance.
Sistren Poetic is correct.  Ther is no handbook or really ready advice that one could give on loving a Ras-King because they are all different (as with any other man).  Some are no different from secular men so you will be able to recognize that qhich is familiar to you, and others hold so firm to their faith that they will teach you all that you need to know ( it is a continuum), and they will nurture you until you come to a place of self awareness and self love.  Hardly anything is more beautiful to a Ras-King than a womban (woman) who knows, respects, and loves herself.  She is the source of creation and the one who will bring forth his youths (children).  
All I can really say to you is that you must be careful not to be mislead by the wolves in sheeps clothing (fake rases).  They come across as being just as real as any other, so use your intuition, andmeditate upon it.  However if you do have yourself a true King, give thanks for you are  blessed!  Love him, adore him, and cherish him, for he is whom you was taken from.  A true king is becoming harder and harder to find in these times.  Be prepared to gain knowledge, and be taken to a place of heightened awareness.  Not a lifestyle for the weak at heart.
Oh and I forgot, try not to be too ashamed at what you are learning about those who are of your race, class, etc..... For you may fall into being ashamed of yourslef, and that is the opposite of a worthy wueen for a Ras-King.  Instead, find time to come to peace with it all, so that you can work to change.....to bring peace and love.

Bless!

All Lion & King -- walk tall, stand firm
All Lioness & Empress -- be sweet in spirit, humble, gentle and wise  
All -- know thyself and your divine position in creation.
Misgana always & YAH Bless
green

Roots

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 09:41:00 AM »

I have been keeping busy, reading since my initial post for this thread. The text is very objectionable, and open for interpretation, although I believe I may have the fundamentals to begin to learn and understand. The knowlege I seek I don't think I will find in any book. I realize my words contain negative conexts, we ought to "stand" together in love, not fall. I am only a product of my social upbringing. I am not aware of when I speak in negative terms, even when talking about something so terrific as LOVE.

I am not ashamed of who I am. The initial shock of the history I read had taken me back somewhat. I live my life so that I can live with myself. I wonder however, what could I possibly have to teach this Kingman? I guess that will be discovered in my journey of self awareness. I know I will learn lots from him.

I don't think he is a wolf in sheeps clothing, although I understand to listen to your intuition. Actually, I am VERY good at sensing good and bad vibes. I have seen him at common events for over a year, just never had the urge to talk to him. I learned that he was in fact good friends of my long time Rasta friends. I trust their judgement when they boast what a good person he is. Ever since we have engaged in conversation, its like I see a different man, not one that is obvious to most. Not only is it warm when I look into his eyes, its like he looks in and smiles, like the sun is shining inside me. I have only ever felt something like this once in my life. I know what I feel is true, because I had no interest until we exchanged a few conversations. Only in my teenage years did I fall into lust, and the vain physical appearances of people. I have grown spiritually, and emotionally to know that love is much deeper than that. I am not someone who falls in and out of love, once I'm in love, I love forever.

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I felt "naked" from how little I really knew about his ways. I am usually the strong one, with a protective wall before I allow people to get to know me. I felt like there wasn't one there, and that I can only build a thin layer with knowledge. I know, silly, but I know this is going to be an exhilerating experience!

preach

Roots

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 06:22:34 PM »

Peace Sistas. Your dialogue amongst each other is very beautiful. It warms my heart to hear sisters say positive things about brothers, and it also lets me know that there are people who still believe in the power and innocence of love. I would like to share the fact that I will be married in Negril April 5th and although I don't feed into the whole popular view of marriage it still feels good.  one love

love
Empress_Zauditu_Ariel-YAH

Roots

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 07:53:56 PM »

Greetings,
preach
I am full of smiles as I type because I feel that congrats are in order.  And I understand about the whole "popular" view of marriage; for if YAH has joined you, and you have already made that commitment to your sig, other and to HIM; then you are already married.  The whole thing of doing it in front of a priest and all was Old Testament, and due to the fact that ones had to go through the priest to get to YHWH (that is the basic run down without the twists and turns).
I, Empress, am aware of the faults and the many negative things that are both within and surrounds deh Lions, but since everyone else seems to know it too, I feel that it is not my place to join in all of the passa passa talk.  seen.  I mean how is it that I can run down my Kings further, and then try to love one of them?  I get hurt by their ways more often than I would like to, or think that I deserve, but with love is how I deal with them.  My postion as Lioness is to uplift my lions, and mek sure they are loved, comforted, nurtured, and supported when the time or season for each comes.  If I do not show YAH's love to him then who will?  If I do not show him and tell him his strength and royalness then who will?  
All in all, with all of the negativity and bad name that my Kings get, I still love and adore them to the fullest!!!
Misgana!

All Lion & King -- walk tall, stand firm
All Lioness & Empress -- be sweet in spirit, humble, gentle and wise  
All -- know thyself and your divine position in creation.
Misgana always & YAH Bless
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 12:48:36 PM »

Many Blessings and Congratulations preach on your move to be married,
I agree with you Empress, as Lionesses we must uplift and give credit where credit is due to our Kings.We must be at there side through they trials and tribulations and at times we are but at times as well they hurt us and it tears us to pieces, but we must remember in all we are lionesses and we must be strong through the thick n thin.

Much love to all the Kings out there

Hotep

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
preach

Roots

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 07:56:29 PM »

Peace Sisters. Thanks for your heartfelt words. I am learning how to listen, appreciate, and be patient because some times I can be chauvinistic, stubborn and arrogant.  We as lions must strive to do the previous. Naturally we are aggressive but that tactic isn't always best. I aspire to make wise decisions and be a true confidant.

love
athalyah

Roots

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 04:38:51 PM »

Loving a Kingman is an overwhelming feeling of love, respect, and comfort. He will teach you things you never dream and his wisdom is beyond compare. Kingmans are hard to find and even harder to keep up with at times but just remember he chose you so as you're seeing his Kingship he is bringing you into your Queendom. Just keep an open mind and it will be a journey of a lifetime loving him and him loving you.
Kati

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »

Two Thumbs

Belle

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »

This forum really spoke to me - the warmth & postivity that emanated from here was breathtaking
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: