Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:41:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 90 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  WORLD HOT SPOTS
| |-+  Around the World (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Actor's racism claim backed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Actor's racism claim backed  (Read 8135 times)
Tyehimba

RastafariSpeaks

« on: April 06, 2005, 01:09:30 AM »

Actor's racism claim backed

One of New Zealand's most popular Maori entertainers has supported US actor Laurence Fishburne's claim that racism is alive in Australia.

"There's a definite superiority complex with regard to colour in Australia," Sir Howard Morrison said.

Morrison, 69, whose family of singers and actors includes Once Were Warriors actor Temuera Morrison, told the New Zealand Herald today.

"It's a peculiar situation in Australia," said Morrison, who has visited New Zealand's closest neighbour regularly since the 1950s.

"Anyone coffee-coloured or black doesn't fit into the culture that Australians feel comfortable with."

Morrison was commenting on remarks by the African-American actor Fishburne, about a "racist vibe" in Australia after he was mistaken for a "Maori bloke" when he first began filming the Matrix film trilogy in Australia in 1997.

Fishburne told The Sydney Morning Herald he felt a wariness and unease among people who assumed him to be Maori or Polynesian.

Advertisement
Advertisement"There was a definite vibe," he said.

"I wouldn't even say it was hostility ... but there was a wariness and unease."

Fishburne, 44, said it was not until he gained greater recognition through The Matrix and two sequels that attitudes changed.

Morrison told the New Zealand Herald that Australia was "keeping apartheid alive" and was getting worse every year.

He said that when he was young, many Australians had served alongside Maori in World War II, but that generation was now disappearing.

He said racist attitudes came from the top down, with Prime Minister John Howard refusing to apologise to Aborigines for "the persecutions of the past".

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/03/30/1111862439074.html?oneclick=true
twofire

Roots

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 09:41:43 PM »

i totally agree with what Fishburne said back then and i still do today.  Many of my friends feel the same way.

I was born and bred in Sydney Australia.  Speak english like a skip.  I went to aussie schools, go to an aussie uni and do aussie things like surfing, cricket etc.

And yet i'm still looked at differently by white Australian folk cuz i have a Vietnamese background.  Its so unfair.  I mean, its sad, but a white Scandanavian, fresh off the plane, would be treated with more warmth than I would by white Australia simply because they are white!  

On numerous occasions have i been asked, "where are you from?"  I reply, "i'm an aussie".  they reply back, "but where are you from?" Australia, damn you!  I bet that white Scandanavian wouldn't be interrogated like that!

I'm gonna go to the US next year to stay for 6 months.  If its better there, i'd definitely consider relocating.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: