Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 90 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Relationships and Gender Issues (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Men overcompensate when their masculinity is threatened
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Men overcompensate when their masculinity is threatened  (Read 13014 times)
Tyehimba

RastafariSpeaks

« on: August 04, 2005, 04:24:16 PM »

Men overcompensate when their masculinity is threatened, Cornell study shows
By Daniel Aloi

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Threaten a man's masculinity and he will assume more macho attitudes, according to a study by a Cornell University researcher.

"I found that if you made men more insecure about their masculinity, they displayed more homophobic attitudes, tended to support the Iraq War more and would be more willing to purchase an SUV over another type of vehicle," said Robb Willer, a sociology doctoral candidate at Cornell. Willer is presenting his findings Aug. 15 at the American Sociological Association's 100th annual meeting in Philadelphia.

"Masculine overcompensation is the idea that men who are insecure about their masculinity will behave in an extremely masculine way as compensation. I wanted to test this idea and also explore whether overcompensation could help explain some attitudes like support for war and animosity to homosexuals," Willer said.

Willer administered a gender identity survey to a sample of male and female Cornell undergraduates in the fall of 2004. Participants were randomly assigned to receive feedback that their responses indicated either a masculine or a feminine identity. While women's responses were unchanged regardless of the feedback they received, men's reactions "were strongly affected by this feedback," Willer said.

"Masculinity-threatened men also reported feeling more ashamed, guilty, upset and hostile than did masculinity-confirmed men," states Willer's report, "Overdoing Gender: Testing the Masculine Overcompensation Thesis."

"The masculine overcompensation thesis has its roots in Freudian psychology, but it has become a popularly accepted idea that I felt should be empirically tested and evaluated," Willer said.

He questioned subjects about their political attitudes, including how they felt about a same-sex marriage ban and their support for President Bush's handling of the Iraq war.

"I created composites from subjects' answers to these and other questions," he said. "I also gave subjects a car-buying vignette, presented as part of a study of purchasing a new car."

Masculinity-threatened participants also showed more interest in buying an SUV. "There were no increases for other types of cars," Willer said.

The study produced "the predicted results," he said. "The intention of the study was to explore whether masculine overcompensation exists and where. But the point isn't to suggest these are the only factors that can explain these behaviors. Likewise, there may be a wide variety of other behaviors that could increase when men are concerned about their levels of masculinity."

In a separate study, Willer verified that support for the Iraq War, homophobia and interest in purchasing an SUV were all considered masculine by study participants.

Willer said he and a colleague are planning additional research on subjects' attitudes regarding violence toward women, using the same method for manipulating masculine insecurity.

"I'm planning another follow-up to the study that involves taking testosterone samples from participants to see if testosterone levels are a mediating factor in this process," he added.

The research involved 111 Cornell undergraduates and was funded by the Department of Sociology at Cornell.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Aug05/soc.gender.dea.html
preach

Roots

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 02:26:37 PM »

Good subject. The definition of masculinity has been affected by the feminist and economic movement. Efforts made to redefine roles and destroy outdated traditional ideals including chauvinism have made way for a new masculinity.

love
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

I am the living incarnation of my ancestors

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:17:40 PM »

Greetings.
Usually when an individual is threaten or feel threatened there is a fight or flight response. There isn’t anything necessarily wrong with these responses. If you fight to much that may not be so good. If you flight to much that may not be so good. There has to be a balance. The tone of this argument touches on some issues that have an underlying unseen subconscious psychological impact on not only the participants but also on the readers. It tugs at emotional strings. When we think of the SUV we think of the environment, or bullying, or selfishness. When we think of The Iraq war some may think of injustice, imperialism, oil, aggression. When we think of the homosexual issue that’s emotional to many in so many ways. All these things are linked via certain common threads. Put all these things together we may come out thinking that the fight response is troublesome. But not necessarily. It is the behavior to these responses that can be troublesome. Not overcompensating. That behavior (how you respond to either flight or fight) is determined by the society.
As a matter of fact I would say that over compensating has nothing to do with these responses. Who is to say what is overcompensating? Perhaps he is under compensating. Or much more likely he is reacting the way that he feels the society is expecting. The KMT males of this society are not overly aggressive. As a matter of fact they are destructively passive. And that passivity and their activity is response to agitation is engineered by this racist white-supremacist society. This article is obscene. Much more dangerous than were are lead to believe. It diverts our attention buy tapping in to or natural KMT goodness.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: