Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:11:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 59 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Health and Livity (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Alchoholism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Alchoholism  (Read 14475 times)
Ifayomi

« on: February 01, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »

As a sober alchoholic, I thought I would bring this subject up, What are some of your opinions on alcholol and alchoholics. Let me start by saying I have been alchoholic since age 15, I have had my times of sobriety, lasting for 6yrs at a time. Before it was in my thinking oh ok been clean 6yrs why can't I drink like norml people so I would try, guess what didn't work I would be off to the races again. But I believe as all things there is a root, finding that root and treating it is the key to success. I have not found the root of my problem yet and am searching. I am staying sober as my Anscestors have convinced me of death if I drink, (even one more time) so I am not drinking. I need a clear mind to accomplish my destiny. But I also was taking anabuse which is a medication which causes severe reactions to alchohol. I was taking this also as a deterrent, but realized one day even after having taken anabuse, that if there was an open bottle of gin in my midst chances were I would not resist. I know that drinking eases pain for a moment which is possibly some reasons why we drink, it loosens the tongue and gives boldness to say the things that maybe we would be afraid to say. sometimes makes us feel invincible (beer muscles) but what is the root, that is my quest and goal
Peace
Ifayomi
Eja

Roots

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 01:52:41 PM »

Ifayomi
Honour

First I would give you praise for fighting against what you have clearly recognised as being an enemy. There was probably a time when you thought you had it defeated, which you did (if you stopped for six years) but, while you have control over certain things in life, you do not have control over everything, all it takes sometimes is a terrible knock and a person is set back to the last known configuration that brought comfort. This is where the danger lies for anyone who has known the relief (even temporary) that can be obtained through substances that alter consciousness. And that is all it is about : alchohol (and drugs) have power because they can take us out of whatever bad place we are in.

Optimism is good, but it better to embrace reality. Recognise addiction and the ways it works. I don't know what exercises were recommended to you but you should check them all and give them TIME. I am not so sure about the effectiveness of drugs because, they do not fight the addiction object at it's root cause, at most, they will fool the body into rejecting the addiction object. However, the addiction sense is still there and there is no guarantee that if will not fixate onto something else at a later date.

The best way to fight a physical addiction is by recognisng it's earliest triggers. A way of feeling that is at first almost imperciptible but which eventually grows until the object of addiction becomes irresistible. If you can recognise the earlist onset of this trigger, then you are on the way to controlling it. What I recommend that you do once you start feeling that familiar hunger is that you change activities. Most times, changing what we are doing changes what we are thinking and if you change what you are thinking, you will affect what you are feeling. The more extreme (or illogical) the change, the more the effect you will get.

It will not be easy and that is something you will also have to recognise. It will be a lifetime struggle and I think the most important aspect of this would be to accept that truth. And, perhaps you may see after a while how this struggle is also an opportunity; it can make you stronger,  you can strengthen your will through the process of subduing your urges.

Wisdom and Strength

wezekana

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 05:37:56 PM »

Insecurity is everyone's problem at some point or another. Whatever it's cause, you are still dealing with it's effect. Some immediately evidences are in the things you say.
You asked "What are some of your opinions..."

You don't believe yourself to be normal "why can't I drink like norml people ?"

You may still be a denial period and you give the greatest identifier for your alcoholism's existence when you say " I know that drinking eases pain for a moment ..." and "it loosens the tongue and gives boldness to say the things that maybe we would be afraid to say. sometimes makes us feel invincible..."

You also give all the answers to your problems in your writings...
"Before it was in my thinking..." Revealing that you have already made some changes in your thinking.

"I am staying sober ." A statement of pure will, which betrays the existence of confidence.

The statement "my Anscestors have convinced me of death if I drink, " Tells me that you are a fully conscious individual who is actively caring for much more than just yourself.

You already know what you need... " I need a clear mind to accomplish my destiny"... because you said it.

"I believe as all things there is a root, finding that root and treating it is the key to success. I have not found the root of my problem yet and am searching."
All of your answers are inside you. The more you turn yourself over... inspecting carefully but not critically... the more will fall out of you. Like some beautiful stone encrusted with precious jewels.

Your peace is coming Ifayomi.

siger

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:14:29 PM »

thats wisdom rite there!!

We look neither left nor right, but forward.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: