Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:41:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 85 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Young Adults
| | |-+  Help On My Search
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help On My Search  (Read 14328 times)
Organika

« on: June 15, 2006, 07:08:22 PM »

Greetings Friends,

Allow me to open by saying that, at the time anyway, I do not consider myself to be 'rasta' I am however entering a period of searching for the truth in my life, and trying to figure out what exactly my stance on religion is. It should also be duely noted that I am white. I understand that is not nessescarily widely accepted among the rastafarian community, I mean not to step on any toes, I only seek information, and teaching and reasonings to guide me in enlightening my mind. I relize that because of my race and my upbringing I am predisposed to a certain ammount of ignorence that has been bred into me, the blindfold of 'white privledge' that always has existed for me. No matter what I conclude on my religious stance, I wish to burn this blindfold and see the truth. I have been doing much religious research as of late, and as far as I can see, Rastafari, withen itself, is the religion with the purest values, however at this time, Im not positive that I agree with all of its tennents, which is why I come here seeking reasoning and guidence, I ask for you to please aid me as much as you can and forgive any ignorence that I may display, I seek only to amicably discuss Rastafari, my mind is open.

Love
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:16:33 PM »

Blessings and Welcome Organika

Honestly you seem open minded and once your open minded you can gain alot of knowledge, on these boards we welcome one all and il be happy to discuss any things with u

Much Blessings

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
siger

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 01:03:54 AM »

I believe you're in the right place, brother.
I have been here only 4 months, and i feel truely blessed.
What questions, or reservations, do you have about rasta? It would help to iron those out.
True that some folk are pre-disposed to question the authenticity of your search, being white. But then, i have many white friends, here in Africa, and they take rasta more serious than some other folk.
(But like you said, white priviledge and all.....)

Also, i ( and here i speak for myself) believe you are wrong to call rasta a religion. Rastafari is older than Religion.
It is a way of life, a bearing of the soul, a search for divnity within and without.
Religions came after Christ (when man was trying to figure Him out.), Rasta is as ancient as the lost kingdoms of Africa.

I leave it to the more intimate bredren to take you forward, look out especially for Poetic-Princess, Bantu-Kelani, African Rebel (though he's from Brazil, i think) and the Emporess.

Cheers, and Jahs Blessings,
Siger.

We look neither left nor right, but forward.
Organika

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 12:18:58 AM »

I feel blessed to have spoken to both of you, and I truly appreciate your correspondence and assistance. While, I am fairly well versed in the basics of Rastafari, I understand, that there is so much about it that I do not know. And to be completely honest, I feel a bit overwhelmed, and I am not sure where to begin with what reservations I have particularly. I suppose I have many, questions, if not reservations. But where to begin. Its hard, and I mean not to sound rushed, but all I can do, is voice what I can think of at this moment, as I am sure much more will come later. I believe I must have the basic wonderings, that many people do when looking into this path. So Im sure this will soudn very ignorant, but please have patience and understanding. I have humbled myself, and realize that there is so much for I to learn. That I feel, in a way, ignorant, to be asking certain questions, however I cannot build upwards without a strong foundation. So I suppose I must start at the begining, with the very basic, almost obligatory question that many brethrens pose about Haile Selassie I. I understand, that there are many opposing viewpoints among Rastafari brethrens about HIM, I understand, some view him as creator, but, personally I can not comprehend this to be so. This is not based on the fact that he denied his divinity, its based more on my own belief that JAH is not a human being, he is a cosmic life force, the creator of all. I do believe that Selassie I was somewhat of a bodily manifestation of JAH, but not JAH himself, and I realize that others will agree and disagree with that, and all I am seeking is reasonings on either side. I view Selassie, personally, much like Christ, he was an embodiment of God, but not JAH itself. I disagree with the trinitarian view point, that Yeshua and JAH one and the same. I am more apt to believe that everyman is an incarnation of JAH, because man was forged in HIS image, and has the potential to be a hand of JAH at work, as Selassie and Christ were, however only a chosen few rise to that level, and become one with, and the voice of JAH. However, my views are subject to change, because, I have not clearly defined my beliefs, to put it bluntly, I do not know what I believe in, which is why I am seeking reasoning, to help guide me, so I can solidify my core, and know what I stand for. I know there are many different viewpoints on the importance and divinity of HIM, but I ask for your personal views and beliefs on the position and importance of Selassie I, and also Yeshua, and reasonings why, in aid to guide myself. This is one question, that I could expand on infinatly, but for now, I think I shall leave it at that, and ask for your patience and guidence, I feel like i could keep expanding, but I will keep brief for now, and will no doubt have many more questions at a later time, but for now, I ask for your views on this specific  subject. But I will cut myself off for now, I cannot thank all of you enough.

Blessed Love
citizen

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 02:20:31 PM »

I am in the same position. white, young, open-minded (i like to think). raises christian but not spiritually satisfied. i will be visiting this post alot because Rastafari seems to have the right goals and values (right is subject, which i realize, so by right i mean right to my tastes). universal love, clean and honest living, acceptance. i'm looking for more information because if i am ever to align myself with rastafari, it must be with full knowledge.

there is no true devotion but to that which we already embody
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: