Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:46:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Young Adults
| | |-+  Our African American Brethren
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Our African American Brethren  (Read 12966 times)
IslandPryde

Dreadhead straight out of the Caribbean.

« on: July 28, 2006, 02:35:20 PM »

Hello everyone, after being just a reader for a long time, I am ready to join the community. Im 15 years old and I just moved to America from Jamaica seven years ago. Although I am still young I can easily see the effects of centuries of oppression. Like all of us, our American brothers have had it hard, and still are. 33 % of African American are considered poor, and sadly White Americans like to focus on that percent. BET is the center of African American entertainment. BET does not focus on the affairs of the black community but plays destructive gangta rap. BEt targets blacks my age and even younger and tries to fill our heads with stereotypes and violence. Most African American children have never heard of Rastafari, the Back to Africa Movement or even listened to Reggae. Most children and even grown ups have never dreamed of a world outside the ghetto. It appears that corporate America wants them to stay this way, so that they have some control over the African American population. Yes, they love it when we are rapping on tv, calling women "hoes" or killing each other. We need strong black leaders to lead our people out of poverty nd into the promised land. Sadly, it seems we are too divided and our African American brothers our to destracted by gangs, pimps and hoes.

One day, man-kind will learn to appreciate one another. Pray to Jah that by then it wont be too late.
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

I am the living incarnation of my ancestors

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 11:37:29 PM »

Greetings.
The American Dream is what is blinding our people. They want to have what doesn't exist, 'the American Dream." Dreams are something you wake up from. To be honest with you I like the Ghetto. What I don't like is the condtions of the ghetto. I use to dream of a world outside of the ghetto, then I woke up. I never wanted to escape from my people I wanted to do my part to uplift them.

When it come to the music, certain thing i've learned to put aside. The same things that are being said about rap and gansta music were said about raggae, and even JAZZ. Some fights just ain't worth fighting. other fights resolve themselves in time. Still other fights are cyclical. 

A lot of the fights I use to fight weren't even my fight. Somebody told me I was supposed to fight so I fought. Other people were fighting so I fought with them. I don't really fight any more. If need be I Agitate, and if need be I defend myself.

JAH
Abyss1

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 04:49:39 PM »

Blessings and Praises

Do not believe your TV bredren.. I am Jamaican and american (mississippi)  I was witness to racism at a very early age im 25 now.  If you want to know the truth with BET...know that its ran by Japanese or Chinese now, In its Conception its was a tool to structure Black homes with Faith, but now it has been infiltrated and there lay few who know how to handle the diaspora commun.  Blacks in America have no leaders now..they are faced society loooking to them for style and popularity. 
                              During the Katrina Telethon a young Ras sistren maybe 8-10, publically voiced her sight of babylon and the government having the mark of the beast....pure poetry.  Steve Harvey was like nah...Queen LAtifa was like gwan. see what i say there are sheeps and snakes in this diaspora in America.
                              Trust the most high to lead InI to Prosperity and life, trust no flesh.
-Shape InI Future
Abyss1
live4zion

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 06:11:33 PM »

I love your words...

Although it is a very small contribution, my brother works for a public access chanel and is getting his own broadcasting time soon. He has given me the go-ahead to do a show once every two or three weeks to have a show on REAL black history and invite guests in to speak and and educate. it should be very cool. keep speaking your words my friend. LOVE
                                                         Mat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: