Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:10:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Young Adults
| | |-+  white and rasta (please write back)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: white and rasta (please write back)  (Read 100604 times)
live4zion

« on: August 28, 2006, 02:56:55 PM »

I am a white, 17 year old from ohio. I am fairly new to the rastifarian religion. I use to be a "hardcore" atheist, untill i decided to pray and ask the lord to give me guidence. sure enough i got a sign that lead me straight into the hands of rasta. Before i had finnaly given my life to live for Zion i had ben very into reggae music and found more love than i could possibly imagine. I have allways had quite a bitterness for most white people and definatly white society. I could not relate to rastafarian religion anymore. i guess what im getting at is, "am i going to get shun by african american people for following their culture because it makes me happy?". regaurdless of the outcome of the posts i will get on this, i will continue to follow the word of Haile Selassie, I am just curiouse.
                                                       Thank you
                                                           Mat
melaninmagic

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 12:29:43 AM »

Hi Mat,

Out of curiosity... why do you have a bitterness for most white people and white society?

Thanks.
siger

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 03:17:48 AM »

Hi-ya,
Interesting, what we have here. I, too, would hav askd the same Qn. < melanin's> But i guess coming from the 'chocolate city', you have seen your fill of racial discrimination against black folk.
It is nice, you finding Zion. Granted, ppl will talk. Some black folk, even here, dont fancy the idea of a white rasta. But Zion is the rock of the sons of David , and only Jah is judge.
Walk the path of rasta, and you'l swim in di blessings of the most higg. Just dont forget two things. Rasta is no religion; it is a movement in faith.
2. You are white, and dont need to be 'feeling bitterness....' towards your own kind. <without reason>

Cheers.

We look neither left nor right, but forward.
Abyss1

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 04:34:27 PM »

Blessing and Praise to all,
                                   I am new to this forum, i have been reading discussions for the past 2 weeks, and decided to participate.   

It was understood that many(myself included) see Rastafari as a way of life not a religion..since i canot find a Rastafari Church that exists in my area if habitat.  I do feel as though you should find communion in an orthodox church.  For communion is your salvation. 

Raggae music is but a medium for the gospel of InI, it represents parts of Ras aspects which relates to the whole.  being down with Hip Hop/blues/ or country does not equate to being a baptist..does it?  Its important to differentiate this since music is a matter of subjective opinions.

Being white in my opinion means you have a duty to pay back the crimes done to black people in Africa, and in the diaspora.  Because simply chanting "Jah Rastafari" will not make u a Ras. I think Ras has a duty to find a connection to Africa and then to help Africa by any means nessecary, and to not keep pointing the fact that we have already been divided by color...which is the "White" People in AMerica invention during chattel.  WE NEED REPARTATION...Not More people justifying thier Color in lifestyles.

In my opinion you should study some African American history, Go to predominate Black city in Africa, or make it a mission to educate White about repartiation.

-Shape InI Future
Abyss1
live4zion

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 06:02:59 PM »

first... Reggae music was actually the first thing to introduce me to Rastafarian culture... it was actually "By the Rivers Of Babylon" by the Melodians. Reggae sparked my intrest and had me looking into all or most of black history and culture. so i know its not the main basis of rasta. to me it would be like praise music. My bitterness towards white people i guess comes from the fact that my family is from either tennessee or gorgia and are what some would call "rednecks". just some of the things i find that they say about black people and culture has made me very, very fist-clinching mad. Alot of my friends are black and to hear and see them all descriminated against makes me very mad... i also find any "reble flags" highly offensive. I grew up very poor and "trashy" persay and i was also descriminated against for that so i know how it feels. I just see NO reason why any man should have anything against african americans seeing as they did NOTHING WRONG, not now, not ever. Every chance i get i am trying to inform white people on my opionions, veiws, and facts. I would also LOVE to visit Africa and if i ever have the chance i will. thank you all for writing back, i really appriciate it. LOVE
                                                                          Mat
dreadwarrior1

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 10:26:40 PM »

Mat, it is good to see you realize that there is a true calling for everyone and JAH does exist. I am happy to hear you have turned from athiesim to search and find JAH light. Rastafari transcends race. Rastafari stands for universal love, a higher spiritual ideal that is not emphasized in mainstream western society. To be a Rasta is to seek to be a righteous person and to continuously seeking to improve the self. Although Rastafari is rooted in Afrikanness, it is not a racist doctrine. The true essence of Rastafari is love for all forms of life which come in all colors, shapes and sizes. JAH created ALL. It is not our place in this world to judge others because of skin. If you do meet a so- called Rasta who is racist against whites or blacks or any race he or she does not understand the true doctrine of what they say they follow. I stongly encourage you to continue to seek knowledge about Rastafari and the other spiritual paths on the Earth. You may not consider yourself a Buddhist, Christian, Islamic etc. but you can learn much from their teachings. Continue your search. JAH BLESS   
Ras_Nevoe

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 07:48:09 AM »

Originally Posted By: Live4Zion

I am a white, 17 year old from ohio........................................ I have allways had quite a bitterness for most white people and definatly white society. I could not relate to rastafarian religion anymore. i guess what im getting at is, "am i going to get shun by african american people for following their culture because it makes me happy?".

I am a rastafarian from Brooklyn, New York, and I would like to make a few comments and ask a few questions on behalf of Iself and some of I bredren.

First, I want to say that I do not have a problem with white people turning to Rastafari because JAH is for one and all. However I notice that most "White Rastafarians" tend to state their reasons for wanting to become a rasta, then chant "peace", "one love" and other phrases and expect that all should be forgiven and their journey to "oneness" is over and I strongly disagree with that. To be a rastafarian especially if you are white you have an obligation to put a stop to injustice and hatred wherever it rears its ugly head.
as a white rastafarian the I have an obligation to speak about race, racism(white supremacy) and ways to eliminate It because it is a PROVEN FACT that white people knows more about the tactics and strategies of this global white supremist system, more so than their black counterparts. So when you say things like:

My bitterness towards white people i guess comes from the fact that my family is from either tennessee or gorgia and are what some would call "rednecks". just some of the things i find that they say about black people and culture has made me very, very fist-clinching mad. Alot of my friends are black and to hear and see them all descriminated against makes me very mad... i also find any "reble flags" highly offensive. I grew up very poor and "trashy" persay and i was also descriminated against for that so i know how it feels. I just see NO reason why any man should have anything against african americans seeing as they did NOTHING WRONG, not now, not ever.

That is a good start, but it is not nearly enough. I guess what i'm getting at is...........

WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT!!!!!!

If you want to help the situation you have to know what the situation is and the proper method to resolve it........So I will leave you with these two URL's

www.counter-racism.com

www.thecode.net

In the words of Dr. Neely Fuller himself.

"What is the reason YOU were born into a SYSTEM of INJUSTICE if not to replace it with a SYSTEM of JUSTICE?"

P.S. Leave I an Instant Message or Email Address so I can contact I, I would like to reason with I (you)

Ras_Nevoe

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 09:57:28 AM »

::Waiting 4 A Response::
Ras_Nevoe

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 02:11:40 PM »

::Waiting 4 A Response::
iyaman03

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 06:14:58 PM »

hey bro, our storys sound similar, im also 17 and of european descent ( i dont like the terms 'black' or 'white') and from  New Zealand, i was on the completely wrong path, than i decided to take responsibility of my life and i prayed to Jah, from that day on, im trodding Jah road, all the demons surrounding me fled, cause Selassie I give i the strength to chase them away, and now i have my faith, i know i can do and achieve anything i put my mind to. Anyway, with regards to skin colours, Jah is our creator, and we all Jah children. Now, in my opinion, if anyone who call themself Rasta, is rascist, or discriminant, in anyways, whether in regards, to race, colour, class or anything, they are not Rasta. Rastafari call for world unity, and for man to turn to the truth, and not blindly follow satans path,  so this goes against the truth, if people say, oh this man cant be rasta, he have light skin, or you aint black, or you aint Jamaican, they are on the wrong path. In New Zealand, being a Rasta with light skin, i have to put up with Heathen saying how can you be Rasta, you aint black, you aint Jamaican etc..., i just reply, yeah, but i do know the truth, i am  good person, my heart is filled with love, i do  the almighty ones will, i do live healthy and clean, i know life is the greatest blessing, so i live. etc..,  most of them dont even know, they just think Rasta is Jamaican people who like reggae and smoke herb, and in regard to a post above, yes as Rasta with light skin, it is our responsibility, to fight against all discrimination injustist rascism and hate, here in Aotearoa, people of native descent, Maori, are sometimes subject to rascism, and injustice, IandI know i have to fight against that. RasTafari
Ras_Nevoe

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 02:50:02 AM »

and in regard to a post above, yes as Rasta with light skin, it is our responsibility, to fight against all discrimination injustist rascism and hate, here in Aotearoa, people of native descent, Maori, are sometimes subject to rascism, and injustice, IandI know i have to fight against that. RasTafari

You say that you KNOW that you have to fight against the oppression of the native peoples of "Aotearoa". You didn't say what you are doing. So....what are you doing, or what do you plan on doing about it?

"Those with the ability, have the Response-ability" - Dr. Neely Fuller Jr.

In this case you as a white person have the ability more so than a non-white person to expose racism and inform your brethren/sistrens about the racists tactics being used on them. It is a proven fact that most white people are taught racists behaviour before even entering kindergarten so a white 5 year old can inform me of racist behaviour and strategies. I'm not saying this to be malicious in anyway, but I n I should know that Rastari was based on the concept of "Africa for the Afrikans at home and abroad" that phrase alone shows the need for GREAT equity among the different peoples of the world.

Anyway, with regards to skin colours, Jah is our creator, and we all Jah children.

GREAT! I agree 1,000,000%.....BUT...The rest of the world don't see us that way, the powers that be, the "white supremist" or "white elites" don't see us that way. Until then that statement(although true!) means absolutely nothing to me, zero, zilch, nada. Also you don't like the black and white thing but until the system is changed it's unavoidable. For instance If you have a bullet wound, by calling it a "little scratch" does that take away the life threatening risk of the bullet wound?

I just wanna leave by asking two final questions.

1) As a Rastafarian of "european descent" do you still benefit from "White Priviledge"?

2) If you had supernatural powers how would you put an end to racism(white supremacy)?

Peace + Respect

RAS NEVOE: Da Prophet
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »

Blessings Bredren

I have read this topic for couple days now and i decided just to comment on some things, I do agree with Ras Nevoe reasonings so far, but i have questions for the two bredrens as well,

How did your parents/friends/peers etc react when they hear you talking about rastafari or even saying that you are a rasta?

What made you heights or look to fari besides hearing reggae music/song?

What reading material have you 2 read since starting this trod on fari?

and finally what are yall thoughts on locks?

Im looking forward to hearing yall responses

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Ras_Nevoe

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 12:52:36 AM »

Posted by: Poetic_Princess

Blessings Bredren

I have read this topic for couple days now and i decided just to comment on some things, I do agree with Ras Nevoe reasonings so far, but i have questions for the two bredrens as well........

^^^^
They're not going to respond, and I predicted that before I even sent my reply to them. this is the problem with so called "White Rastas". They want to stay in that illusional place where color doesn't matter and peace, love and respect is a given without regard to race. This is where the problem lies. Every afrocentric movement that ever allowed whites into it has suffered from what i call the "Cream-in-coffe Syndrome". The movement loses it's primary objective which is black upliftment. When whites integrate the movement black pride and black love becomes a contradiction to the movement, because they will never encourage that. For example if the struggle is for "black nationalism", whites integrate the movement and now it becomes "racial equality"(we don't want our own anymore, we just wanna be able to share with whitey). Look at Christianity, The Original(black) Jews, The NAACP, The Abolitionist Movement, The Civil Rights Movement, Rock & Roll, Hip Hop, Nation Of Islam, Rastafari, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, The Uhuru Movement, Crips & Bloods, etc. etc. etc.  The only movement that I can think of that wasn't plagued by the "cream-in-coffee Syndrome" was the Black Panthers and they're either dead, in jail, or in exile now, so...hey!.......

Now don't get me wrong I want racial equality just like the next man, maybe more, But that doesn't blind me. It's like Malcolm X once said......

This is an excerpt from Malcom X's "Message To The Grassroots" Speech

It's just like when you got some coffee that's too black, which means it's too strong. What'chou do? You integrate it with cream! You make it weak, if you pour too much cream in you won't even know you ever had coffee. It used to be hot, it becomes cool. It used to be strong, it becomes weak. It used to wake you up, now...It'll put you to sleep. This is what they did with the "March On Washington", They Joined it. They didn't integrate it they infiltrated it. They joined it, became a part of it, took it over. And as they took it over it lost it's militancy, they ceased to be angry, they ceased to be hot, they ceased to be uncompromising, why it even ceased to be a march. It became a picnic, a circus [APPLAUSE]... Nothing but a circus, with clowns and all. You had one right here in detroit, I saw it on television, with clowns leadin', white clowns and black clowns. I know you don't like what I'm telling you, but i'ma tell you anyway, cuz I can prove what I'm sayin'.

Makini
Makini

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »

i'm melanic but not ras, not sure where that leaves me but it would be really productive, esp for live4zion to respond.

irony of the words '(please write back)' where went the enthausiam?
Ras_Nevoe

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 01:35:59 AM »

i'm melanic but not ras, not sure where that leaves me but it would be really productive, esp for live4zion to respond.

Yes, bredren, it would be very productive for these two bredrens to respond and carry out this reasoning which is very much needed like water in a desert. But I've done this countless times, with White Rastas, and white people in general. Unfortunately there is only two possible outcomes so far. Either the white person ends the conversation when the attention is turned on them or they get defensive and resort to racist tactics and name calling. Like I stated before, I knew b4 I clicked the "POST" button that these two bredren(don't really consider them as) weren't going to reply to what i have to say.

irony of the words '(please write back)' where went the enthausiam?

Good question! let's see if they'll respond to you..........................[I won't hold my breathe]
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: