Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:49:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 100 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Essays and Reasonings (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  How Europe underdeveloped Africa
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How Europe underdeveloped Africa  (Read 20397 times)
Ruaka

ONE GOD

« on: May 19, 2003, 08:22:49 AM »

Greetings everyone! This to me is probably the hottest topic at the moment. Ever since the slavery days Africa has faced many problems. After the slavery days came the european landgrabbers who grabbed all the land they wished and moved the original settlers of these lands. This was anyway the case in Kenya where I was raised.

When the british came in the early 20-century they bought land there from the British government for extremly cheap prices. A few accres went for some lousy shillings. The British who came took the most fertile highlands to farm and they also took parts of the country rich in minerals.

The plan of the British who came to Kenya to stay was to get rich fast and cheaply. Today much of that which was stolen during the colonial times is still run by the "Kenya Cowboys" (Englishmen living in Kenya) who occupied it long ago. And those lands which where returned to the government where taken by rich Kenyan politicians.

The problem in Kenya since independence has been that the kenyan government has been following in the footsteps of the colonizers. The problems that excisted then still excist. The politicians in Kenya have for a long time been grabbing public  land and hacking down forrests to build mansions for them to rent out for huge profits.

Kenya is a country very rich in all kinds of minerals, from Gold to  Oil to Salt. The country also has a very vast tea export but over 90% of it is sold in bulks and not manufactured and processed in Kenya. Kenya has the ability to be a wealthy country if only the resoureces would not be given away at such low prices.

I know of a little reading that might be of interest to anyone who wants to learn more on this subject: How Europe underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney. Other books I know of are specific to Kenya and are therefore hard to find elsewhere.

I hope others have some enlightment to give on this subject and may GOD be with us all through our journey in life. Peace and Blessings, Africa for the Africans.

While some drown in the sea of poverty others cruise in the ships of riches/ Sam
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 10:28:07 AM »

This article touches on some points worth considering.
A Response: PBS "Race": A History Of Racism by Paul Barton

Also check:
http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/

European History Page:
http://www.raceandhistory.com/Europe/
ROOTSWOMAN

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 07:42:22 PM »

Yes I! CRUCIAL BOOK!  A must!

ROOTS

SANKOFA!
Tyehimba

RastafariSpeaks

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 02:01:27 AM »

Greetings

A next powerful book is the Destruction of Black Civilisation by Chancellor Williams.

The destruction of the Afrikan way of life in Afrika as a direct result of colonialism is not often properly understood. From villages across the continent, trained artisans, medicine men, leaders,warriors were taken away in captivity bringing imbalance and chaos to villages that were not totally destroyed by the slave traders. With such important elements either killed or taken away, recovery was extrremely difficult.

Ras Tyehimba
Ruaka

ONE GOD

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 05:01:24 AM »

Greetings to One and All. Many African nations have found a way to move forward out of poverty and give the people of their nation more decent living conditions but still Africa is dependent of Europe and the western world for this to happen. How can the African nations get themselves out of this dependancy and still give a better life for their people? Is selfdependancy an option, can an African nation really stop its trade with the western world and stand on its own feet?

Organisations such as EAC (East African Community) have been around for awhile and maybe these organisations could grow and help the countries tied to them become more independent, economically independent.
I and I would like to hear views on this matter, I truly believe in this and this for me is the meaning of Africa for the Africans.

Is there any views on this??

While some drown in the sea of poverty others cruise in the ships of riches/ Sam
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: