Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:01:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 85 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Health and Livity (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Six household chemicals to avoid
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Six household chemicals to avoid  (Read 13127 times)
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« on: March 14, 2009, 01:53:48 AM »

Six household chemicals to avoid
The World Health Organization (WHO) has issued a warning about early exposure to chemicals during childhood and one of the main sources is household cleaning products.

Toxic Nation, an offshoot of Environmental Defence, has some helpful suggestions on how to clean out your house and find non-toxic alternatives. You can also learn more from the Canadian Partnership for Children's Health and Environment (CPCHE).

Here’s a list of six household cleaners to avoid and alternatives to detox your home.

1. Antibacterial cleaners
It may be safer to take your chances with the germs. These cleaners contain triclosan, a form of dioxin, linked with weakened immune systems, decreased fertility,
hormone disruption and birth defects. There is also a danger of triclosan mixing with the chlorine in tap water to form the deadly chlorinated dioxins.
Alternative: Regular soap, which kills 99.4 percent of germs. Antibacterial soap kills 99.6 percent.

2. Air fresheners
Air fresheners actually stop you from smelling by coating nasal passages with an oil film or by releasing nerve deadening agents. One main ingredient, formaldehyde, is a carcinogen, causing allergic reactions, dermatitis, headaches, mucous membrane irritations, joint and chest pain, depression, fatigue, dizziness and immune dysfunction. Another main component, phenol, causes skin eruptions, cold sweats, convulsions, circulatory collapse and in extreme cases, coma.
Alternative: Open the window or use an exhaust fan.

3. Dishwasher detergent
Dishwasher detergents are the number one cause of accidental child poisoning. They contain a dry form of highly concentrated chlorine that is poisonous and have been known to produce skin irritations or burns, and cause eye injuries and damage to other mucous membranes. Residue built up on dishes can transfer into your hot meal.
Alternatives: Buy phosphate and chlorine free detergent.

4. Oven cleaners
Among the most dangerous chemicals in households, these cleaners contain sodium hydroxide (a derivative of lye) so corrosive it can eat through the top layer of skin and cause severe tissue damage. It’s also caustic for eyes and lungs. Also contains benzene, toluene, xylene, methanol and ethylbenzene, which are all known carcinogens, damaging to the nervous system and unborn children. Residue can be released as toxic fumes into the air when the oven is heated.
Alternative: Make a scrub of baking soda, salt and water paste.

5. Carpet and upholstery shampoo
Designed to knock the stain out, they may also take you out as well. The main ingredient, perchlorethylene (the same one used in dry cleaning), is a known carcinogen, damaging to the liver, kidney and the nervous system. Ammonium hydroxide, another ingredient, is corrosive, extremely irritable to eyes, skin and respiratory passages. Fumes are carcinogenic and known to cause dizziness, sleepiness, nausea, loss of appetite and disorientation.
Alternative: Use a mix of baking soda and water. Salt will take out wine or fruit stains. Club soda will remove lighter stains. Baking soda and cornstarch will deodorize.

6. Toilet, tub and tile bowl cleaners
Highly toxic, bathroom cleaners are a source of many poisonings, particularly since they are used in small, often windowless spaces. Most contain hydrochloric acid (corrosive to skin and eyes, and damages kidneys and liver) or hypochlorite bleach (corrosive to eyes, skin and respiratory tract, and known to cause vomiting and pulmonary edema if inhaled). These cleaners also contain benzene, toluene, xylene, methanol and ethylbenzene, which are all known carcinogens that damage the nervous system and cause birth defects.)

Alternative: Remove toilet bowl stains with pure vinegar. Dilute with water to remove soap scum. Washing soda or borax is also effective on tiles.

For breaking green news, expert interviews, innovations, debate and more visit Canada’s greenlivingonline.com.

http://green.sympatico.msn.ca/article.aspx?cp-documentid=679468
nomo8

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 10:51:35 PM »

Hi: subsitutes for various cleaners and such that take care of almost every job around the place are 70% ISP alchohol,  sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and hydrogen peroxide,  all super cheap compared to the tinted toxi-cleaners. All of the three chemicals I listed are also essential first aid components.  I suggest searching the internet on medical and health benefits of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), especially in developing countries and its anti-cancer, anti fungal properties .

All those toxic cleaners can be eliminated.  Also, the information you provided is important to consider in matters of public sanitation and waste water disposal.  the products I mentioned have little if any impact on ground water or as source of effluent pollution at discharge, especially important for rural villages and such doing sanitation/waste water projects. 

What goes in , must come out, and the toxic household chemicals referenced keep damaging us after theyve been flushed down the john.  Thank you for this important information, the toxic chemicals are imported and manufactured by big corps, but the items I listed can be produced by startup cottage industries.  Baking soda is really great stuff.....n8
n8
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »

Big thanks for that and your comments on Gagut as well

I U
nomo8

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 02:20:36 AM »

thanks, i wound up being a little sarcastic on Gagut and I am sure it is interesting , however, having studied history of science for over 30 years, it just has a hollow ring to it.  Submit to the universe and try and roll with the punches, I say.  I think there is much good information on critique of physical sciences being overtaken by mathmaticians and computer models.  What you wrote about is important, far more so than Gaugut.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: