Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 75 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Science and Technology (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  The absence of evidence is evidence of absence, can this statement be true?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The absence of evidence is evidence of absence, can this statement be true?  (Read 7664 times)
Quantum

« on: June 10, 2009, 06:22:37 AM »

The absence of evidence is evidence of absence, can this statement be true?

If we expect that something will have observable effects, should it exist? And if it doesn't have observable effects, does that mean it probably doesn't exist? The stronger our prior belief that something would, if it existed, have observable effects, the more absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

For example, does the absence of smoke over a forest. I’m looking out my back window and it is surely evidence of the absence of a major fire in the woods that sits in the back of my house. Obviously absence of evidence is evidence of absence is true.

But is it true only where "evidence" for something: a) hasn't been looked for in an effective way and (b) is such that, if it existed, it would not otherwise intrude upon our consciousness?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: