Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:54:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 90 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Controversial Book
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Controversial Book  (Read 5474 times)
vahshi

« on: March 20, 2011, 04:10:40 AM »

Hi everyone,

My name is vahshi and I live in Toronto. 

About 2 years ago the following incident happened: 

I was riding the subway and was sitting next to a young black women who was reading a green book peacefully.  Then after a couple stops, some RANDOM black gentleman comes into the subway and recognizes the book the girl is reading.  He then physically PULLED the book away from her, but the girl would keep a strong grip on the book.  She wouldn't scream or make any noises to cause a scene--she would just hold onto the book.  The guy would let go and whisper to her to not read this book.  The girl then gets frustrated and closes the book and lays it idle on her lap. She then stares at the opposite end of the subway as the guy would stand next to her and keep an eye on her.  Soon after, my stop came along and I just got up and quietly circled around them to get to the door.  Basically I was shocked and didn't want to get involved.  I'm sure the guy had a valid reason to stop her from reading the book.   However, I always wondered what was the title of the book--unfortunately, I couldn't read it as it was being swung around until it was layed cover-down on the girl's lap.

Growing up in Canada, I lived in the same communities as the majority of the blacks would live in.  We would hang out and chill and avoid discussing any controversial issues.  However this incident was very bizarre to me.  I have rarely seen such passionate anger towards a book.

I read lots of books on geo-politics and history.  I know quite a bit about how the British empire robbed many African nations off of their resources (diamonds, gold, copper, ..etc.)  I also read books like To Kill a Mockingbird...etc.  But I never seen a book that was this controversial among the black community.

If you guys don't mind my asking, what do you think was the title of this controversial book?  Was it N. Fuller Jr.'s book?  If the mods wish to close this thread, can someone please msg me the title.  Btw, if I remember correctly, the color of the cover-page was green.  Thanks in advance.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: