Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:39:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 75 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  INDIA AND THE DIASPORA
| |-+  Indian Perspectives (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab, Nakandi)
| | |-+  How to get a Calypsonian to sing at a Partnership rally...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to get a Calypsonian to sing at a Partnership rally...  (Read 6998 times)
fierytrini
AL

« on: May 28, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »

This is a follow up to the post "Former Prime Minister knocks Indo-Trinidadians"
Here, the political strategies to getting a Calypsonian who as is stated, "once... sang anti-UNC lyrics" to perform at the People's Partnership is revealed.
Question- he once sang anti-UNC lyrics, what does that have to do with a new political party and a new political leader?
I have highlighted in bold some of the most provocative statements. And I shake my head.

Warner reveals: Top UNC trio got Aloes to perform
Published: Guardian Media Limited
Saturday, May 26, 2012
Gail Alexander

UNC chairman Jack Warner speaks in Parliament yesterday.

A collective effort by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, UNC chairman Jack Warner and deputy party leader Roodal Moonilal resulted in calypsonian Sugar Aloes (Michael Osuna) making an appearance at Thursday’s PP rally in Chaguanas. Speaking to reporters in between yesterday’s Parliament session, Warner said all three played a part in the realisation of the surprising development. He declined to say how much Osuna was paid.

“You know I won’t tell you that. Ask him,” he said. Warner said Aloes chose the song She’s Royal to serenade the PM and didn’t take long to be persuaded to appear. At least one PNM MP said yesterday that Osuna appeared because as an entertainer he had to work for his livelihood and had to “eat a food.”

Warner said the appearance on Thursday sent “shock waves throughout T&T.” He said it took eight to ten days to organise the appearance by the former Calypso Monarch. Warner said the PP wanted to advertise it at first but did not, in case PNM people wanted to beg Aloes not to appear.

Asked if calypsonian Cro Cro, who has also sung against the UNC, was next to appear at a PP rally, Warner  said, “I don’t know, but in life who knows? You could never tell.” On the concern in some quarters that the PP had welcomed a calypsonian who once sang anti-UNC and anti-Indian lyrics, Warner said, “Something has to change. Last night I never saw such a rainbow at the rally, Indian, African, even a white man.

You don’t see that in the PNM. When PNM has a rally it’s 98 per cent African. We had Indian, African, Chinese, Hindu, Muslim. That’s the change taking place.” Warner said he worked very hard organising the rally, to which almost 40,000 supporters came, by maxi-taxis, buses and cars.

He said he accomplished this while the PM was not in T&T, though he reported to her daily on arrangements. He said the crowd was very large for a weekday in a non-election time. Communications Minister Suruj Rambachan said on Aloes’ appearance, “People  are beginning to see that the PP Government is the way forward.”

On having Aloes sing after he once reportedly sang anti-UNC lyrics, Rambachan said politics was about conversion and Aloes must have seen something great in the PM to sing the song and realised old politics was a thing of the past.

GUARDIAN MEDIA is not responsible for the content of external sites. Copyright © 2012 GUARDIAN MEDIA LIMITED
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: