Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:10:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  Migration and imperialism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Migration and imperialism  (Read 9013 times)
Tian

RastafariSpeaks .com

« on: October 17, 2003, 08:33:39 AM »

Greetings,

I would like to share with you some thoughts on the links between migration and imperialism, based on observations from my own country, Norway.

In my country there has been a great paranoia in recent years regarding immigration from the Third World. Although officially there is a ban on immigration, larger and larger numbers of people come to this country as refugees or by family reunification. About 20-25% of the Norwegian population supports the so-called Progress Party, a right wing party basically drawing its support from xenophobia and selfishness. I would guess the majority of the population shares their worries about immigrants from the Third World bringing in crime and Islam (the two main problems, according to many Norwegians). Some believe that Norway will become a Muslim country in the next 50 years.

If we take a closer look at where most immigrants from the Third World come from (with the exception of Pakistanis, who came as labor migrant before the ban on immigration in 1975), statistics show that the largest numbers are refugees from Vietnam, Irag, Afghanistan, Former Yugoslavia, Somalia and other African countries. It is striking that all of these are countries were America, with political and/or military support from Norway, has fought its imperialist wars. Yet, Norwegians are completely ignorant of any possible link between migration and imperialism. What I am suggesting here, seems to be far too radical in any discussion except possibly within the communist party.....

The big issue in the media is now illegal immigrants (officially labelled "asylum seekers without basis") from Eastern Europe and Russia (economic refugees), who are now collectively labelled criminals (because of some few serious cases). The government now suggests to charter airplanes to fly them out of the country as quickly as possible. Europe, Australia, the USA and Canada are all desperately trying to keep people from the Third World out, but these countries can never be hermetically sealed off. As long as the imperialist system is in place, destroying Third World countries both militarily and economically, the pressure on the West's borders will only increase.

- Can migration from the Third World to the West be viewed as reverse colonialism, as in "the empire strikes back"?

- Is this the most likely way to end the Babylonian system, by having Western countries taken over by large numbers of people from the Third World?

After all, in Norway, 80% of immigrants vote to the left, 90% of African Americans are against Bush..... there is greater potential here than among privileged whites.

- Is this development the only way to wake up a majority of white people?

While my fellow Norwegians panick, I welcome this inevitable development. If it means we have to deal with more crime, it's nothing compared to what our European ancestors did to the rest of the world. If it leads to a reduction of our material wealth and government welfare, it's still nothing compared to the situation for the majority of the world's population.

Babylon will fall!

Peace,

Tian

iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 08:48:45 AM »

Peace.

Thanks for that needed perspective. OF COURSE, immigration is very much correlated to bad conditions in ones homeland.

Now that there are more and more people coming to the "developed " world, there is now more and more competition in the labor market. This feeds xenophobia and stirs up racial fears.

I feel Europeans have the right to say Europe for the Europeans if they are equally as zealous about Africa for the Africans, Asia for the Asians, in other words . . . in supporting the self-determination and sovereignty of ALL PEOPLES . . . or else their cries fall flat as nothing more than a continuation of the anti-nonwhite tradition.
Noah_The_African

RastafariSpeaks.com

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 10:53:09 AM »

Tian, my friend, it might be helpful to realize that many European and white nations have dangerously low birth rates. This has the potential for creating economic and social problems in the future. For many economies to remain buoyant and growing requires new workers and consumers to create goods, services and jobs. Workers all also needed so that they can be taxed and support the government safety nets. Moreover, humans are living longer, especially European or whites. Thus, as many whites get older they thus become dependant on their pensions or social security or whatever other nations have. These funds come via taxing workers, but if the supplies of workers are diminishing, due to decreased population growth via births of white, then the elderly will have their social security reduced.

In light of this, most nations with low natural population growth need to let in Immigrants, whether they like it or not, for their future is dependent upon it. The only other solution is to produce more children, which will reduce the leisure, freedom and extra income that comes from not having many kids. Consequently, miscegenation will start changing the color of Europe over time, due to the growth of the population in the world of people of color as compared to the low growth rate for whites.

It is like Europeans are becoming the victims of their own greed, which is promoting extinction via low fertility rates and enemies.
Tian

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 02:58:36 PM »

Greetings!

Thanks for your responses, both of you.

Yes, iyah, in theory self-determination for all people is good. The problem I was pointing out, is that in the real world, Europeans cry "Europe for Europeans" while at the same time exploiting and plundering the rest of the world. In that context, I think it is fair if people from the Third World take back what was/is stolen from them under colonialism/neo-colonialism.

I also think it is all right to visit another country as a guest. Sometimes a guest likes to stay longer, or settle for good, and most often he is welcome to do so. But what if he takes all of his host's wealth, and brings it back home? That would make him a thief!

Noah, you are right about the need for labor immigration.

This is actually developing as an argument in my country, but it is the other views I was writing about that dominate the debate. In addition, unemployment is rising now, so people can't see this need for more immigrant workers.

I also think an additional problem for Norway is that a majority of immigrants here are refugees, many of them traumatized by war. These people end up on welfare rather than contributing to the labor force.

Finally, I agree that Europeans are becoming victims of their own greed - no doubt about that!

I would like to invite other thoughts and perspectives on this topic to further the reasoning......

Peace,

Tian

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: