Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 75 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  London mayor bans Martin from black history talks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: London mayor bans Martin from black history talks  (Read 7042 times)
Ayinde
Ayinde

« on: October 30, 2003, 01:33:01 PM »

By Terry Joseph
October 29, 2003

Outrage among Britons of African descent, ignited by London Mayor Ken Livingstone's "dis-invitation" of Professor Tony Martin to speak at last Saturday's First-Voice – Dialogue with the Diaspora, has exploded into an international furore.

A highly acclaimed Marcus Garvey scholar who has delivered many lectures here, Prof Martin was invited since May to speak at the October 25 forum, London's contribution to annual British observance of Black History Month, arranged and funded by the mayor's office. On October 15, Lee Jasper, Livingstone's advisor on race relations, wrote Martin "dis-inviting him to the conference.

Even as he acknowledged Martin's intellectual integrity, Jasper wrote:

"Having confirmed with you that you attended and spoke at David Irving's 'Real History Conference' in 2001 and the Institute for Historical Review's annual conference in 2002 and that both of these conferences included speakers known for their anti-Semitic and racist activities including Holocaust denial, the Mayor's Office had decided to withdraw its invitation to you to address the First Voice conference on Saturday 25 October."

In a front-page article of its October 17 issue, under the headline "Livingstone bars 'anti-Jewish' historian from conference", The Jewish Chronicle quoted correspondence between Louise Ellman (Labour MP for Liverpool Riverside and vice-chair of the Inter-Parliamentary Council against Anti-Semitism) and Jasper, saying the exchange constituted the basis for the Mayor's "prompt and appropriate action" and noted Ellman's "delight at the mayor's quick move."

Blacks in London immediately set up an e-mail petition aimed at persuading other invitees to decline in solidarity, a protest that enjoyed massive support on home turf and quickly spread to the international community; attracting a flood of responses.

Trinidad and Tobago's Emancipation Support Committee (ESC), who have hosted Prof. Martin at conferences here, had added its voice. In a scathing letter signed by chairman Khafra Kambon, the organization waded into Jasper, expressing "abhorrence" at the last minute withdrawal of Prof. Martin's invitation to speak at the forum.

"The reasons presented by you for the withdrawal are irrational, offensive and worst of all, self-demeaning," the ESC letter said. "If your primary motivation is an acute sensitivity to anti-Semitism, how does that eliminate Dr. Martin?

"Intellectually he is a known quantity. There is profuse, publicly available material by which his views can be judged. We suggest you take another look at the dangerous principle which you are seeking to enshrine by your actions. Your letter did not suggest that Dr. Martin took part in meetings or rallies which were designed to incite hatred against Jews.

"The implication of your letter is that our intellectuals and academics should exercise a brutal self-censorship and ensure that they do not unknowingly or by design appear on platforms with persons who are targeted by Jews as an anti-semitic, a designation readily bestowed by hypersensitive Jews.

"What irony, in Black Heritage Month," the letter betimes an apology to Prof. Martin, the African community in London and the entire Pan African world and suggesting Jasper relinquish his position as (Policy Director, Equalities and Policing) at the Mayor's Office.

In his response to Jasper, dated October 15, Prof. Martin said (inter alia):

"I thought that you were just another overwrought Jew who sees "antisemites" everywhere, and annoying though partly explicable phenomenon. Now, however, I discover that you are that most singular of that phenomenon, to wit a black talking head for Jewish ventriloquism.

"I addressed the first abovementioned conference on the Jewish role in the African slave trade, a topic that overwrought Jews consider ipso facto anti-Semitic. I addressed the other on the tactics of organized Jewry against persons like myself who they disagree with," he wrote.

Prof. Martin added that if he was seen as anti-semitic for addressing conferences so perceive, then "this kind of reasoning would also make me a talking head for overwrought Jews for my willingness to speak at your conference," saying too, "I hope that someday you will become as diligent in the knowledge of your own history as you now appear to be in mindlessly parroting the misconceptions of others."

Other speakers invited were Ms Shabazz (eldest daughter of Malcolm X); Dr. Gamal Nkrumah (son of Kwame Nkrumah), Dr. Julius Garvey (son of Marcus Garvey), Paul Robeson Jnr. (son of Paul Robeson). All earlier references to Councillor Stephen Padmore, first described as the son of George Padmore, were later removed after authoritative sources questioned his bona fides. It is not the first time London has banned a black speaker, Louis Farrakhan having suffered the same fate in 1986.

http://www.trinicenter.com/Terryj/2003/Oct/292003.htm
iyah360

Higher Reasoning

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 02:11:56 PM »

Peace.

Seems to me, the only real way to effectively attack "anti-semitism" is through constructive dialogue about those European Jewish families and interests(like non-Jewish European families and interests) who have a major stake in economic and social decisions.

When their is an admission of honesty that there are some Jewish families and interests who benefit directly from the system, then there can be a DISTANCING and DISTINGUISHING of those INTERESTS from Jewry as a whole.

If this is not done, then an un-needed suspicion remains for non-Jews about the Jews when any inquiry is lambasted as "anti-semetic" from the get-go.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: