Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 139 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Health and Livity (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  A top obstetrician on why men should NEVER be at the birth of their child
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A top obstetrician on why men should NEVER be at the birth of their child  (Read 7491 times)
Nakandi
KiwNak

« on: March 17, 2014, 01:03:29 AM »

A top obstetrician on why men should NEVER be at the birth of their child

This week, the Mail reported a new survey which said fathers should be allowed to stay overnight in hospital on the day their baby is born.

But how much should a man be involved in his child's birth? Leading obstetrician Michel Odent has been instrumental in influencing childbirth practices for decades.

Here, with a view that will outrage many - but will strike a chord with thousands of others - he describes why he believes that when a woman goes into labour, her partner should stay well away.

For many years, I have not been able to speak openly about my views that the presence of a father in a delivery room is not only unnecessary, but also hinders labour.

To utter such a thing over the past two decades would have been regarded as heresy, and flies in the face of popular convention.

But having been involved in childbirth for 50 years, and having been in charge of 15,000 births, I have reached the stage where I feel it is time to state what I - and many midwives and fellow obstetricians - privately consider the obvious.

That there is little good to come for either sex from having a man at the birth of a child.

For her, his presence is a hindrance, and a significant factor in why labours are longer, more painful and more likely to result in intervention than ever.
As for the effect on a man - well, was I surprised to hear a friend of mine state that watching his wife giving birth had started a chain of events that led to the couple's divorce?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-559913/A-obstetrician-men-NEVER-birth-child.html#ixzz2wBzxpEn4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: