Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 99 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Spirituality (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  The Qur'an, the last revealed Word of God
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Qur'an, the last revealed Word of God  (Read 13347 times)
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« on: November 15, 2003, 07:14:42 AM »

Brought to you by The Islamic Affairs Department
At the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia

The Qur'an is a record of the exact words revealed by God through the Angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad. It was memorized by Muhammad and then dictated to his Companions, and written down by scribes, who cross-checked it during his lifetime. Not one word of its 114 chapters, Suras, has been changed over the centuries, so that the Qur'an is in every detail the unique and miraculous text which was revealed to Muhammad fourteen centuries ago.

The Qur'an, the last revealed Word of God, is the prime source of every Muslim's faith and practice. It deals with all the subjects which concern us as human beings: wisdom, doctrine, worship, and law, but its basic theme is the relationship between God and His creatures. At the same time it provides guidelines for a just society, proper human conduct and an equitable economic system.

Qur'an is the only religious Book in the world that has been memorized by a great number of Muslims around the globe since the time of the Prophet, and has been carried down as a common practice throughout the world to this day. Those people who memorize the Qur'an are known as Huffaz-al Qur'an. They know the Qur'an word by word, syllable for syllable, hence if the world ever decided to obliterate the Qur'an from the face of this earth, the Huffaz will be able to reproduce the Qur'an in no time - thus making the Qur'an indestructible, imperishable.

The Five Pillars of Islam

1. FAITH (AQIDAH)

There is no god worthy of worship except God and Muhammad (peace be upon Him) is His messenger. This declaration of faith is called the Shahada, a simple formula which all the faithful pronounce. In Arabic, the first part is la ilaha illa Allah - "there is no god except God"; ilaha (god) can refer to anything which we may be tempted to put in place of God -- wealth, power, and the like. Then comes illa Allah:" except God, the source of all creation. The second part of the Shahada is Muhammadun rasulu Allah: "Muhammad (peace be upon Him) is the messenger of God". A message of guidance has come through a man like ourselves.

2. PRAYER (SALAT)

Salat is the word for the obligatory prayers which are performed five times a day, and are a direct link between the worshipper and God. There is no hierarchical authority in Islam, and no priests, so the prayers are led by any learned person who knows the Qur'an, chosen by the congregation. These five prayers contain verses from the Qur'an, and are said in Arabic, the language of the Revelation, but personal supplication can be offered in one's own language.

Prayers are said at dawn, noon, mid-afternoon, sunset and nightfall, and thus determine the rhythm of the entire day. Although it is preferable to worship together in a mosque, a Muslim may pray almost anywhere, such as in fields, offices, factories and universities. Visitors to the Muslim world are struck by the centrality of prayers in daily life.

3. ZAKAH

One of the most important principles of Islam is that all things belong to God, and that wealth is therefore held by human beings in trust. The word zakat means both "purification" and "growth". Our possessions are purified by setting aside a portion for those in need, and, like the pruning of plants, this cutting back balances and encourages new growth.

Each Muslim calculates his or her own zakat individually. For most purposes this involves the payment each year of two and a half percent of one"s capital.

A pious person may also give as much as he or she pleases as sadaqa, and does so preferably in secret. Although this word can be translated as "voluntary charity" it has a wider meaning. The Prophet said "even meeting your brother with a cheerful face is charity".

The Prophet (peace be upon Him) said:

"Charity is a necessity for every Muslim." He was asked: "What if a person has nothing?" The Prophet replied: "He should work with his own hands for his benefit and then give something out of such earnings in charity". The Companions asked: "What if he is not able to work?" The Prophet said: "He should help poor and needy persons." The Companions further asked "What if he cannot do even that?" The Prophet said "He should urge others to do good". The Companions said "What if he lacks that also?" The Prophet said, "He should check himself from doing evil. That is also charity."

4. FASTING (SAWM)

Every year, in the month of Ramadan, all Muslims fast from first light until sundown, abstaining from food, drink, and sexual relations. Those who are sick, elderly, or on a journey, and women who are pregnant or nursing are permitted to break the fast and make up an equal number of days later in the year. If they are physically unable to do that, they must feed a needy person for every day missed. Children begin to fast (and to observe the prayer) from puberty, although many start earlier.

Although the fast is most beneficial to the health, it is regarded principally as a method of self-purification. By cutting oneself off from worldly comforts, even for a short time, a fasting person gains true sympathy with those who go hungry as well as growth in one"s spiritual life.

5. PILGRIMAGE (HAJJ)

The pilgrimage to Makkah -- the Hajj -- is an obligation only for those who are physically and financially able to perform it. Nevertheless, about two million people go to Makkah each year from every corner of the globe, providing a unique opportunity for those of different nations to meet one another. Although Makkah is always filled with visitors, the annual Hajj begins in the twelfth month of the Islamic year (which is lunar, not solar, so that Hajj and Ramadan fall sometimes in summer, sometimes in winter). Pilgrims wear special clothes: simple garments which strip away distinctions of class and culture, so that all stand equal before God.

The rites of the Hajj, which are of Abrahamic origin, include circling the Ka'aba seven times, and going seven times between the hills of Safa and Marwa, as did Hagar during her search for water. Then the pilgrims stand together on the wide plain of Arafa and join in prayers for God"s forgiveness, in what is often thought of as a preview of the Last Judgment.

In previous centuries the Hajj was an arduous undertaking. Today, however, Saudi Arabia provides millions of people with water, modern transport, and the most up-to-date health facilities.

The close of the Hajj is marked by a festival, the Eid al-Adha, which is celebrated with prayers and the exchange of gifts in Muslim communities everywhere. This, and the Eid al-Fitr, a feast-day commemorating the end of Ramadan, are the main festivals of the Muslim calendar.

http://www.iad.org/

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Ras Mandingo

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 09:16:22 PM »

Give thanks for this topic Bantu,

It's amzing the power of self-sugestion, meditation and mentality. To memorize the Quran word by word is really impressive and effective as this is always reverberating in the mind of the one who has it. It's as it says indestructible as it's in people' mind besides been writen. It reminds of the african oral traditions too.

How do you see the relation between the bible and the Quran?

Mandingo.

Haile,
Wisdom, Knowledge, Strenght & Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
out_of_Zion

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 11:59:39 PM »

Ras Mandingo I hope ya don't mind my posting on the topic but it caught my interest as I used to read the Qu'Ran for a time.

One thing that bothered me when reading the Qu'Ran is that the book promotes a tormeting hell when it is not in the bible.  Sheol, Hades e Gahenna were to symbolize the grave of man e Gahenna was eternal destruction.  But in the Qu'Ran it says that Allah torments the sinner.  Jah "is love" (1 Jn 4:8) e Jah did not create a tormenting after-life for man no matter how bad he may be.  Now I certainly think there is good to the Qu'Ran because I know a faithful Muslim who practices his faith and is fully righteous but the messages seem to conflict with regard to fate of the wicked man on judgement day.  Also like the article mentions, Muslims are very dedicated to their faith and that is respectible in mine sight.  

But as for reconciling the books and believing in and adhering both, it does not seem to be true logic for ya either believe in the hellfire or ya accept the original ideas of the Bible without Babylon's corrupt additions.  Ya follow me?

peace and blessings,
brett david

Therefore, become imitators of JAH, as beloved children - Ephesians 5:1
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 04:27:04 AM »

How do you see the relation between the bible and the Quran?

The correlation I see is that Islam, Christianity and even Judaism, have an UNSAVORY History. All three religions are nothing but male chauvinistic murder cults. From a Black African perspective I do not like Qu'ran as much as I don't like the Bible either, they are both detrimental to the Black African so I do not care of one or the other. I posted the principal tenets of Islam , a religion founded by Arabs, here for reference.

B.k

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: