Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:52:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  AFRICA AND THE DIASPORA
| |-+  Our Beautiful People (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  Say it loud, I'm Black and proud
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Say it loud, I'm Black and proud  (Read 26803 times)
Bantu_Kelani
Service Member

« on: June 14, 2003, 02:19:54 AM »

My AFRICAN BLACK sisters please understand that your "Black Skin" is a treasure. We have been brainwashed to believe that it is something to be ashamed of. You know that "White" people risk skin cancer just to get darker looking skin. Whites have been JEALOUS of our skin color, but to cover up their jealousy, they have convinced us that dark skin is a sign of inferiority and something to be ashamed of. Understand that the more melanin that you have, the more you have protection from skin cancer. Did you also known that the malanin in your skin along with the rays of the sun produces calcium which build stronger bones. We have been brainwashed for more than 400 years... WHITE SUPREMACY IS LIKE A DEADLY DISEASE THAT KEEPS SPREADING AND INFECTING EVERY NON-WHITE PERSON ON THIS PLANET. We MUST fight diligently to eradicate it from off this planet! My beautiful black sisters any Black man that has a problem with your dark beautiful skin, then he is not a BLACK man that you need to be with.

" Say it loud, I'm Black and proud"

SANKOFA!

Kelani-

We should first show solidarity with each other. We are Africans. We are black. Our first priority is ourselves.
uldeb

RastafariSpeaks.com

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 07:04:05 AM »

PLEASE realise, that it is only a small minority of white skinned people think like this. Not all whites are racist baldheads.

peace

uldeb
QueenJahzara

RastafariSpeaks.com

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 11:07:43 AM »

Ashe!!! Cheesy Wink
Tyehimba

RastafariSpeaks

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003, 01:01:30 PM »

PLEASE realise, that it is only a small minority of white skinned people think like this. Not all whites are racist baldheads.

Contrary to what you say, the large majority of white people are beset by superiority/racist complexes. The problem is that since it has become politically incorrect to be overtly racist, racism has taken on a far subtler edge than earlier on in history.  Hollywood portrays racists as being profane, being armed with guns and as having swastikas tatooed on their arms. This representation attempts to put across that it is only a few isolated whites are racists, which is very far from the truth. Those who behave as above, are easy to spot but those who come disengenously with polished rethoric of 'one love' and 'we are all one people' are harder for the sleeping masses to spot. Inspite of the proclamation by many Whites, that they are not racist, the evidence  overwhelmingly exposes this charade. Whether people like it or not, racist/sexist superiority attitudes are imbedded and conditioned by media, family friends, institutions, religions and the education system and thus racism is the norm and not the exception.

Many Whites try to sidestep their complicity in the whole global sytem of White Supremacy, yet still continue to uphold and benefit from the plethora of white priveleges that underlie the dynamics of White Supremacy. Unless Whites deal with with themselves holistically which involves them coming to terms with their past misdeeds, the most they can be is patronising and subtly manifest their superiority complexes on those around them.

Likewise there are Black people (especially lighter skinned Blacks) themselves who have become neo-colonial agents of White Supremacy by perpetuating the principle of 'white over brown over black'. Thus the dark skinned, kinky haired African is often hit with the worse that White Supremacy has to offer while the lighter skinned more European looking person is given preference. This privelege has proved very hard for Black people who are high up in this hierarchy of White Supremacy to come to terms with.

Then there are those that prescribe the mindset of colorblindness to deal with the scourge of racism. This attitude represents real blindness as it is ignorant of the fact that race is not the problem but rather ignorance. So if peopple being of different races is not the real problem, then being colorblind won't solve racism, which is a manifestation of conditioned ignorance. People coming to terms with their own role in the global system of racism, gender discrimination, injustice and inequality, will be an important step in overcoming a lot of societal ills.
Tracey

Rootsie.com

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 02:27:39 PM »

This is a very important issue to raise for those of us who are white, or light skinned, to come to terms with and recognize the higher ramifications of how often our attitudes play into the very things we think we have overcome and/or even trying to defend. These are some very fine layers here to peel that most of us have a difficult time even realizing, let alone admitting that they even exist. A point to consider, is the willingness to accept the idea..that yes, subtle forms of rascisim have in fact become the covert norm to the typical/sleeping eye of most white/light skinned folks...and even some conscious ones..

Social conditioning travels deep as to bury our dispositioned states of mind and repressed complexes far far away from the surface of our conscious awareness. So, often times we are quite oblivious and unaware as to how our very own behaviors and attitudes might even exibit themselves as rascist.. much less notice how it affects those around us who see it/feel it no matter how subtle. Because we live in a society that supports the "norm" we rarely are challenged or called on it.. but rather encouraged to accept the status-quo by not even questioning it..and simply choose to live unawares by disassociation...that is until...you find yourself in a place that holds your stuff up to the light and you are seen for who you truly are..what then?

Well surely, most will run..hide..deny..disassociate..or make excuses...

It is much easier to attest to rascism in the more blatant overt forms as most easily seen in others...and therefore point the finger at them right-winged Christian conservative radicals..the KKK..them neo-nazis..the Bushies..those Timothy McVeighs as the real rascists...than to notice how we ourselves are prone to exuding subtle forms of racial arrogance, superiority, and patronizing attitudes that do in fact manifest themselves through our unwitting behaviours. It is only when things are called into question, or challenged from those who feel it, are we givin the opportunity to look through a different lenz and move deeper into the cause and effect of our own hidden behaviours. Yes...this is where coming to terms "holistically" can help us to deal properly with past misdeeds by properly acknowledging how we, no matter how uncomplicitous we may think we are, do in fact contribute, by virtue of accepting that which we directly benefit from.

It takes real scrutiny and honesty to look at past history to see and acknowledge it for what it is. It takes humility to realize and recognize how arrogant and superior attitudes have come about/evolved and become ingrained as a normal part of our behaviours. It takes integrity to admit to the many wrongs committed in our name and then learn how to cultivate a new awareness and means of action in order to actually do something about it on a real-meaningful-conscious level. To change the hard set mindset of generations of ill-thinking is no easy thing.. but one can truly begin by looking within I-self...

Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 11:15:39 AM »

Is it really the skin color that matters, or the ideas beneath the skin? Does JAH not say that InI are not to judge others by appearances or nationalities? InI should strive not to make judgements on other people, black or white. InI should take care to accept everyone first, and then see if they have evil beliefs or intentions.

If InI judge white people by their skin color, and not their beliefs, InI sink to the level of Babylon, where people are discriminated against because of their looks, and things they cannot control.

I do support self-confidence for Black women. InI  have nothing to be ashamed of. Be proud of who you are!  

InI I hang on in there....InI I no leggo!!!! (So JAH Seh)
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 05:26:16 PM »

Yes it is the skin that matters,that is how the media and white supremacy puts it over, cause that is all they see even to this day hardly anyone ever looks beneath skin or trys to and even if they do they still don't understand cause they are too far gone in being brainwashed and ignorant. If it isn't the colour of our skin then why do blacks get racial discriminated.

Bob Marley Lyrics in the Song War

"Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes;That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained;"

Until this great day comes we will always be judge by whites for our colour and we have to deal with it.

Our Black skin is what we were given and blessed with and should all rights be proud of it.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Tracey

Rootsie.com

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 09:22:29 PM »

Is it really the skin color that matters, or the ideas beneath the skin? Does JAH not say that InI are not to judge others by appearances or nationalities? InI should strive not to make judgements on other people, black or white. InI should take care to accept everyone first, and then see if they have evil beliefs or intentions.  

Ras Legacy...you must know that that is a luxury only a white one can afford to say.."let's not judge others by appearances or nationalities." As a matter of fact...it is my observation that it is only whites who come onto this board chanting that kind of rhetoric..no matter how seemingly genuous. I have yet to hear an African say anything of the kind. Why? Because that is not the reality for those whose experiences bely quite a different perspective.

This is exactly what Ras Tyehimba was alluding to; in that what we tend to think of as (the real) racists are only the ones who display overt forms of ignorance..everyone can see it and call it as it is. A major point made, was that many whites live under the illusion that they are far from holding any tendancies to even consider themselves as such...and it is indeed here, where we whites must all take a good hard look at ourselves and check the many deeply ingrained patterns of behaviors that truly we are blind to, and that DO exist.

By dismissing someone's ethnicity or culture..signifies a subtle form of racism that seeks to deny the experiences that come from one's racial identity. Each culture holds a piece of the human puzzle and contributes it's own unique history/legacy. We carry within our molecular structures, the DNA and memory of our peoples..which is why it is vital to know ones history and understand the trail that has led up to, and contributed to where we are in the world today.

There are many conditioned reasons and conditioned complexes why we tend to think the way we do. We whites have to look at some hard realities as to where all that came from. By glossing over them...we remain complicent in our superior attitudes by dismissing the experiences from those who lived a different reality..as well as denying what we, ourselves (still) do to contribute to the status quo.

Then there are those that prescribe the mindset of colorblindness to deal with the scourge of racism. This attitude represents real blindness as it is ignorant of the fact that race is not the problem but rather ignorance. So if people being of different races is not the real problem, then being colorblind won't solve racism, which is a manifestation of conditioned ignorance. People coming to terms with their own role in the global system of racism, gender discrimination, injustice and inequality, will be an important step in overcoming a lot of societal ills.  

Here...is where we begin to address the problem......
Tracey

Rootsie.com

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 11:50:51 AM »

Here is a more expanded version of the prior reasoning written by Tyehimba...It is well worth considering and something to definately digest...

http://www.rastaspeaks.com/articles/2004/1301.html
Ras_Legacy

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 08:34:35 AM »

I am not white...but I live in a very white society, a very racist society. I hate to hear anyone talk about supremacy. I understand that InI should live in peace with everyone and fight through oppression. InI should be proud of I skin color, but not attack others based on skin color. Shouldn't InI strive to live in unity? If InI don't are InI not sinking to the level of the racists? The lyrics of the song "War" apply to InI too, yes?

Believe me sistren and bretheren: I too have been beaten, scorned, and rejected cause of I skin. I still try to love all people although they are evil...maybe I love can change their ways?

InI I hang on in there....InI I no leggo!!!! (So JAH Seh)
Tracey

Rootsie.com

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2004, 10:31:01 AM »

"I too have been beaten, scorned, and rejected cause of I skin. I still try to love all people although they are evil...maybe I love can change their ways?"  

There will be NO peace without justice and to think that "I love" will wash it all away is truly wishful thinking.

You say that you are not white...and I mean no disrespect here bredda...but are you "light?" Surely you may take offence at this question..but I ask because we have reasoned long time on these boards about this issue..in fact..many left the boards because it was such a volitile issue and got quite hot in here. I would highly suggest, if you truly are interested, that you take some time to look through some of the old posts such as "In the Bag" section to catch a glimps of why it is important to recognize and acknowledge the importance of one's skin colour....why?..because it IS an issue that needs to be properly addressed..and if you aren't aware of it...you need to be.  

I am all for love...but one must understand the right order before one can get to real righteous love. You cannot jump to this kind of love before you clean up the rank mess that stands in the way.

There has been great sufferation established soley on the basis of one's skin colour; and the darker the colour seems to draw the more extreme forms of racism. You say you also have experienced this to some degree. So is it not in your best interest to get to the root of the problem? Or do you wish to offer "love and forgiveness" while still allowing the means that gave rise to this foul ignorance to remain and flourish? What good is that? Ignorant ones with superior/arrogant attitudes get to still do their thing while those who remain oppressed are to offer love and forgivness?? Hmmmm...what's wrong with this picture?

I have listened and engaged with the many voices who speak from experience of their journey rife with injustices by mere colour (and shades) of their skin tone. It behooves right thinking people to examine their own conduct and attitudes with how they still might be contributing to this abomination across the board of life.  

"I hate to hear anyone talk about supremacy"

True enough..most of us do...so what then? Sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist? Maybe if we don't think or talk about it...it will go away all by itself! Do you see the absurdity of the situation? The real SoulJah's for peace are going to stand on the frontlines and confront the issue. By remaining in the background offering peace and love you contribute to the status quo by the mere complicity of your actions (case in point) and allow this wicked system with all its injustices to remain in tact! Do you not see?

Look at it Ras Legacy...call it what it IS...speak from your experience and let the real story be told. Only then can we begin to roll up our sleeves and shovel the junk out of the way and come to a real meaningful place of mutual respect and understanding with true righteous love to both offer and recieve from one another..

....let it be so
herbsman68

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2004, 10:48:19 AM »

InI am white and Iman am VERY , VERY , PROUD........InI only want to be myself.....this is how JAH made I........LOVE THE SKIN YOUR IN...........in my mind InI dont see why people.....especially rastafarians are always speaking about race......IT DOES NOT MATTER........love the skin your in............

Live an work in NJ..twice a year to study with elders in JAHMAYKA in the Blue Mnts...Ethiopia an H.I.M.  always on my mind....the scriptures sre my sword to fight the heathens.........JAH RAS TAFARI
Gwandumi

AfricaSpeaks.com

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2004, 06:55:30 PM »

Whites stole from Africans, and I 'n i were once fooled by whites that Messiah is a white bway.
So, I 'n i have to be aware of our race.
I 'n i ave been victimized by whites and nationalized to hide I 'n i true identity. Until now, most Africans depend on identity which whites imposed on them.
But each Afrikan has a tribe and by tribes I 'n i are known.
Give thanks to the most high, KYALA, who unite I 'n i children of the scattered tribes through king Haile Selassie I.
JAH......,
Tracey

Rootsie.com

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2004, 09:43:58 PM »

Awareness is key. If we are aware of our history and of the conditions that gave rise to ignorant behaviours.. then it is my deepest hope that better informed ones will not repeat the same mistakes that contributed to the many injustices we still see today.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: